Calcium?

Options
Hey guys,
As vegans how do you get the most calcium in your diet? I have consistently been getting under 50% of my daily calcium and that's concerning! Please let me know some options you guys have found that work!

Also, feel free to add me. ;)

3506893.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Spinach and almond milk mostly. And a lot of times it's in my protein shakes :)
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Agreed - I think spinach and almonds are quite high in calcium
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    How about a calcium supplement? A quick google search revealed an Algae Calcium supplement that states it is Vegan, of course be sure to dig in and make sure:

http://www.algaecal.com/?src=Google&gclid=CPTpqoWJq6wCFYbrKgodFl244Q
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day if I'm low on calcium I make a cup of hot chocolate with Silk Almond milk.
    Warm up the milk in your microwave then add 1 tbl cocoa powder and some sugar. Dessert and calcium all in one!
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    abbi, that's a really good idea!
  • sunryzer
    sunryzer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I take a similar approach to Abbi - hot chocolate before bed :)

I can double up on that with soya milk on cereal in the mornings
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure sesame seeds are high in calcium too and taste great lightly toasted in your salad
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Tofu, spinach, almonds and almond milk... also I made a very good soup with Butternut Squash, Kale and Garbanzo beans that has 22% of your daily calcium requirements, it is something different from the usual cereal and milk.

Ingredients
    Fresh - Bell Pepper Red - Raw, 1 cup chopped
    Onions - Raw, 1 cup, chopped
    Squash - Butternut, cooked, baked, without salt, 3 cup, cubed
    Muir Glen Organic - Stewed Tomatoes, 1 container (1 1/2 cups ea.)
    Kale - Raw, 4 cup, chopped
    Organics - Frozen Green Peas, 1 cup
    Pacific Foods - Organic Vegetable Broth, 0.75 container (3 cup )
    Whole Foods 365 - Garbanzo Beans - No Salt Added, 1 container (1 1/2 cups ea.) drained and rinsed

-Saute the onion and pepper about 5 minutes, then add everything else in. (add the broth in last and just fill untill all vegetables are covered) I added lots of dry spices: cumin, tumeric, chili powder, curry powder, garlic, onion powder, salt and lots of pepper. Simmer on Low for about 30 minutes.

Four Servings (about 2-3 cups each): 246 calories per serving, and 22%of your daily calcium per serving
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    nice soup recipe

i was actually just about to post asking for details of vegan shakes that contain protein, anyone care to share please, thanks
  • RealChange31
    RealChange31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Some other great calcium sources (you can add seeds to salads, cereal - anything!):
    Sesame Seeds,
    Dark Green Leafy Veggies (kale, spinach, bok choi),
    Beans
    Sunflower Seeds
    Blackstrap molasses
  • xmoonlitex123
    xmoonlitex123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try drinking Silk. Their almond, coconut, & soy milks have 45% daily value of calcium per cup. One glass of that & a serving of beans along with whatever else you eat, & you should be set. Multi-vitamins also can't hurt, if you get one that has some calcium in it. I usually get 90-110% of my calcium needs.