Energy Gels

Options
Justine13
Justine13 Posts: 78 Member
Just wondering if anyone uses any type of energy gel during a marathon or half marathon. I am doing my first half marathon in may 2012 and i read that you should replenish your carbs about half way through the run. I have never tried them so really don't know where to start research. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Justine

Replies

• skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    I use Sport Beans-can't stand the taste/texture of gels. Usually I have one about every 5 miles during a half marathon or training run. There are tons of different brands/flavors/ consistencies, so play around with them until you find one you like. Make sure you are using them on your training runs, you don' t want to try new things on race day. Also, make sure you drink plenty of water when you take them-I find if I don't they feel like a rock in my stomach. Good luck!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I like sports beans with caffeine. I have been reading a lot on fueling on long runs and not fueling. I ran just over 15 miles today with nothing ugh it almost killed me. I've heard it gets easier. I kinda really missed adding carbs. Lol. I dint do gels it's a texture thing for me.
  • memobe
    memobe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    yup, I use the gels called Gu, usually 45 min into the run, and they say every 45 minutes after. I don't usually mind the first one but by the end of the half-marathon I never want to see another one.

The first half I ever did I actually used gummy-bears. I wouldn't mind trying the sports beans the others were talking about though.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I like Sportsbeans or Honeystinger chews/waffles. I usually only use a few beans or a couple of chews around miles 6-7 and 9-10. I find that I only need/want them due to being hungry more than anything else.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I liked Gu Chomps, they are like a gummy instead of gel. I can't handle the texture of gels.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have a question. I know they give an estimation of when you should use the gels, but do you feel it physically or is it a preventative?
  • skemery
    Options
    A little bit of both. Some days I eat one because I don't want to hit a wall, other days I'm so hungry that I need something on my stomach to keep moving.
  • Justine13
    Justine13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I will deffinately try the beans. Thank you everone for the advice.
    Just out of curiosity what does everyone find the hardest obsticle to overcome when training for a half marathon?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I will deffinately try the beans. Thank you everone for the advice.
    Just out of curiosity what does everyone find the hardest obsticle to overcome when training for a half marathon?

I trained for a marathon before I ever did a half so find half training much easier. Time is always a factor with my other obligations. I like to get in additional 2 to 4 times per week in addition. Which gets really hard to do. Cross training is so important to me when training or maintaining.
  • skemery
    Options
    Definitely time to fit all the runs in. Also burn out, though I don't remember being so burnt out on running during half marathon training. Definitely feeling burnt out now that I'm doing marathon though. I feel like I've been constantly training for something or other since May, and while I love running, I really just need a break.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I use the Gu Gels and I love them. I use them running & cycling. As long as I can follow it with a big drink of water, it really helps. I wouldn't say they give me a boost but they keep me from bonking, but that's just based on timing of when I eat them.
  • clari_netter
    clari_netter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I live by hammer gels, they do an espresso flavoured one which is the only one i've found which isn't horribly sweet. Definately try and take whatever you decide before you need to as they take a while to kick in, use them while you're training and you'll figure out what works best for you - don't just use them on the day as they're pretty good at giving people stomach troubles if you're not used to them and that's the last thing you want while you're trying to run!
  • scotrunner
    Options
    Hi there,

I have just run my first half last week. I was reluctant to try gels because of the thought of them so I used jelly belly sports beans, however, I didn't notice much difference plus I had to stop running to chew them which I didn't want to do during my race. So I tried lucozade gel (chose it because on offer in the supermarket). I took one at about 4 & 8/9 miles in training and boy what a difference!! Yes they are a bit strange but I felt fantastic afterwards. A whole packet of beans has about 100 calories & need to be chewed, the gels I used had 123 calories & required no chewing so ingested super fast without needing to stop. I used 2 in my half last week and felt a bit of a dip at 11 miles so probably should have used 3. When you are burning so many calories on a long run it makes total sense to need to refuel properly. Have fun experimenting before your race.

Good luck!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've only tried one brand of Gel - Powerbar and didn't like the taste or the texture much.
    I've been experimenting with various things and find that jelly beans are pretty good for a sugar hit.
    Chocolate coated pretzels are not a winner (too messy and take too long to crunch) and sultanas don't sit very well in my stomach.
    I've had one brand of sports gummy chews that I didn't like, but spotted some different ones this week so I'll try them and see if they taste better.

I usually eat something even if I don't feel I need it - becauase I don't want to wait to be flagging before I bump some extra carbs into my system. Yesterday was a 2 hour run and I had some jelly beans/pretzels and water about every 30 mins. This suits me because I have a short walk break at the same time.
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i actually like the gels, i just started using them while training, i did use one for a shorter race to see if it helped me push through, it was my first race longer then 5k. It did help i finished with tons of energy and felt great after wards. I do not think they are horrible, they have a consistency of honey
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat a lot of refined sugar and the idea of trying to chew and run seems difficult. I found applesauce in little squeeze pounches that I use. They work really well and don't feel heavy.
  • Jonathanfales
    Jonathanfales Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've used alot of brands and liked GU Roctane the best. I have a method of taking in the gel slowly and letting it almost melt in my mouth. It takes a half mile to take down the whole packet. For a 1/2 marathon I would take one at 4 or 5 and then a second packet at 8 or 9.
  • nanegan
    nanegan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just tried "island boost" at the RnR Las Vegas. It tastes great & is thinner than most gels - also comes in a 55 calorie package.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I have tried a bunch of different things through the years...

I am not a big gel person because of the consistency. However I do like Honey Stinger Gels because they literally taste like honey so I can get past the consistency. Plus when gels get warm while you are carrying them during your run they are pretty much disgusting (this is all just my opinion of course) They have them at REI I know for sure.

Cliff Shot Blocks are good and easy to carry with you as well. They are gummy and easy to pop in your mouth and eat while on the run.

Sport Beans by Jelly Belly are good as well and they literally taste like Jelly Beans.

Also, there is an electrolyte replacement tablet called Nuun that you can put into your water. It is fizzy and sugar free... Much better than Gatorade.

My tip: Try a variety of different replacements while you are training. Do not wait till race day to carry a gel/supplement with you because you will run the risk of cramping which would stink if it happened during the big day.

Good luck
  • nsdjogger
    Options
    My favorites are Cliff shot blocks, Power Bar gel and the jelly beans ( I forget the brand). Sometimes the blocks are a little too much to deal with during a race, though. The smaller size of the beans are easier to chew when you're tired during a long run.