The burden of knowledge

Options
daffodilsoup
daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
Maybe this is mostly a question for the ethical vegans out there: Do you ever feel like the knowledge you have is sort of a cross to bear?

Now, don't get me wrong - I love living the vegan life, talking about my views, and being a general example advocate for the animals. I don't find a vegan diet to be burdensome or limiting, and I am going to eat/live this way for the rest of my life. It has given me a beautiful and adventurous relationship with food.

However, sometimes I get a little jealous of those who are ignorant of what happens within the meat, dairy and egg industries. I watch people eat burgers and scrambled eggs and I can see the pain and suffering and oppression that went into making them, and it just makes my heart heavy. I do my best not to judge - after all, I'm a former Atkins-diet adherent - but I guess I don't understand how someone could choose to keep eating and paying for these things after they "see the light", so to speak. I don't want to be labeled a "vegangelical" because it tends to do more harm than good, but I find it hard to "live and let live" when I'm out to dinner with my parents or friends and they order a steak or fried chicken.

What are your feelings on this?

Replies

• jenergy_20
    Options
    Ive been reading The Kind Diet, I kinda had a idea of what was going on. But didnt know the horrendous horrors of the industry... the poor- poor creatures!! I have " seen the light" and know I will never go back to eating meat again in my life.

~I know this is a Vegan board, I'm very new to this.... a work in progress and seeking all the knowledge I can get!!
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am also new to vegan, but vegetarian for longer and remember teasing my younger sister when she was a vegetarian about 5 years ago. But recently I have learned so much that I apologize everytime I see her. Last month I went to Wisconsin for a family reunion and as we were driving through the middle of nowhere I started seeing all of the dairy farms and processing plants and almost cried. My boyfriend did not understand why it bothered me so much but that was the turning point to become vegan. If I were raising cattle and chickens I would probably go for some homemade cheese or butter and definatly some of my chicken eggs, but until I can do that and know that what is going into my body was humane, then I will be vegan. (I do have the occasional egg from my parents house--they have 5 hens!!)

The hardest part of having the knowledge is not talking about it to every person you know who eats anything mindlessly. :(
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. If I'm honest, sometimes I resent the knowledge because it hurts my heart when I think about it. I would never go back, I love this lifestyle. Sometimes I do just feel so awful while we're out and I see what people are eating, withouth them even knowing. I hate being told that "I would rather just not know". I always come back with "Well, not knowing doesn't mean it's not happening". :ohwell: I try to concentrate on changes I do see. My husband has really started to incorporate a lot of plant based meals which I thought I would never see happen, I have a friend who is buying a lot of the things I buy now to replace animal products. My children are still quite young and are very aware of healthy food choices. Because of the changes I've made I suspect they too will end up vegan. I love that. :bigsmile:

2012 is going to be my first full year of totally being vegan. I'm relatively new to being vegan and I can't wait to see how I feel after a full year!
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    I totally agree. If I'm honest, sometimes I resent the knowledge because it hurts my heart when I think about it. I would never go back, I love this lifestyle. Sometimes I do just feel so awful while we're out and I see what people are eating, withouth them even knowing. I hate being told that "I would rather just not know". I always come back with "Well, not knowing doesn't mean it's not happening". :ohwell: I try to concentrate on changes I do see. My husband has really started to incorporate a lot of plant based meals which I thought I would never see happen, I have a friend who is buying a lot of the things I buy now to replace animal products. My children are still quite young and are very aware of healthy food choices. Because of the changes I've made I suspect they too will end up vegan. I love that. :bigsmile:

2012 is going to be my first full year of totally being vegan. I'm relatively new to being vegan and I can't wait to see how I feel after a full year!

NGMama, this reply was so refreshing to read. This is exactly how I feel and I am glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.

The response "I would rather just not know" makes me absolutely crazy. To a certain point, I can forgive ignorance - I mean hey, even after over a year of veganism, I still discover some snacks that I like do actually contain animal products, like Good n Plenty or certain wines. But saying "I would rather just not know" is ACTIVE ignorance, and that's the most upsetting thing. People who don't want to hear about the suffering they are causing for fear it might upset them or ruin their meal. Those are the types of people that upset me most, and the types I have a difficult time looking at with respect.

The moment I saw images and videos and read accounts of what really happens in those industries immediately made me change my ways - I didn't want to be responsible for the destruction of animals that I told everyone I loved. Maybe the ability to keep consuming meat, dairy, eggs and other byproducts is just something I can't seem to wrap my brain around, and that's what makes it so frustrating.
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It is interesting isn't it why some people care and other's don't. Its not that they are not caring people by nature I think that we spend so much of our lives not thinking about our food and not personalising the animals that went into our food that its difficult to stop. I find that knowing I have the best chance of encouraging change by being the joyful vegan and by preparing and sharing tasty healthful vegan food helps. Sometimes we really do need to be the change that we want to see in the world and not lose heart when others dont change as quickly as we would like them to. Still I know that I feel really sad when I see a dead animal on the table.
  • NGMama
    Options
    Totally agree Speedy! Glad to hear someone on the same page Daffodil. I just try to make good food and answer questions when I'm asked. I also choose not to eat around some people because they mock me. That really angers me!! people don't have to agree with me but I do want to be respected.
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Its interesting really the folks who are consuming the breast milk of another species are mocking you??
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the "joyful vegan" approach in most situations.

But I disagree that knowing is a burden. As NGMama points out, reality isn't a choice. It's there whether one acknowledges it or not. This goes far beyond the rather narrow concerns of veganism per se.

In the day to day lives of just being working people, we are faced with poverty, homelessness, war, global financial crises, degradation of democratic institutions, daily difficulties finding jobs and keeping them, affording decent and nutritious food, and so on, in addition to the horrific treatment of non-human creatures. No one can pretend that all these things do not affect them, their families, their environment, their long-term interests.

I don't happen to know anyone who is burdened by this knowledge, but I know a lot of people who are daily motivated to change it. All of it.

But they would not be able to draw the strength that they have now if they'd remained isolated individuals trying to maintain themselves as paragons of morality in an apparent abyss of chaos and torment. That's not a workable model; it tends to crank out a lot of bitter people who once held very worthy ideals.

The people I know who are successful (and not just on the non-human question) are so through the organizations they build, based on their commitments, at working for change and setting the bar for citizenship in humanity.
  • NGMama
    Options
    Well said AnnaMaus. I think for me the feeling of burden comes from the fact that I'm just beginning to make vegan friends and the beginning few weeks were pretty lonely. And yes, I do have some meat eating "friends" (who are really my husband's friends, male and female) who are awful about it. We went to the Keg (Groooosssss!) for one of their birthdays where two of them took great delight in waving a lobster carcass in front of my face, pretending it was swimming and the other was so gross I almost was sick at the table. Needless to say, part of the community I'm building does not include them. :happy: It was interesting in that the waitress laughed when I gave her my order. I was stunned. Did she really care what I was eating? And surely I can'be the only person in the history of the restaurant who didn't order a carcass?

Sigh.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I feel like way a lot of the time being new to veganism. And it motivates me to spread the word...posting videos on FB, etc... just cause I remember when I used to have that 'blindfold' on and just go on accepting things as everyone else does as normal. Until I was shown the knowledge. And yes, now my heart feels heavy many times when I see people that really don't care. Maybe I shouldn't care so much? But I'm glad that I do. And I will continue to because now that the blindfold is lifted, I can't put it back on.

I posted a video of a pig slaughter on FB and might have influenced some people. One friend kept saying that it is just the way it is...we are at the top of the food chain. And a couple other vegan friends chimed in and gave her the truth about it and then she said she's been considering veganism but doesn't know enough about it to dive in. I think once you get a peek outside the blindfold, the seed is planted and it will happen eventually. I offered to help if she needs any advice, etc.

I had some interesting conversations with some fairly open-minded friends that are omnivores at happy hour last week too. I wasn't going to bring it up, but one was all proud that he ordered meat-free nachos so that I could have some. I didn't want to break his heart and ruin everyone else's time by saying that I don't eat cheese or sour cream either, so I kept my mouth shut and just ate a couple chips that didn't have cheese on them with some of the guac. Later on, he was asking if the nachos were ok, and was I able to eat everything? And I said I don't eat cheese. And he was like 'Really what's wrong with cheese?' and he was genuinely curious, so I let him know about how unnatural it is, etc, etc, and it looked like a light went off in his head, as well as another friend.

Then I have some friends who agree with me, but then I see on their fb statuses about how they are enjoying their chicken dinner or whatever and it makes me sad. But what can I do?

So even though the knowledge makes my heart heavy sometimes, my heart would feel even heavier if I was eating the meat and animal products myself. Doing whatever I can within my power has made me feel lighter and happier that I am making a difference.
  • NGMama
    Options
    Doing whatever I can within my power has made me feel lighter and happier that I am making a difference.

Cheers to that! :flowerforyou:
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    Live2Dream, I think that is a great point. It can be very easy to become consumed with the sadness and heaviness that we see every day, but the important part is definitely taking that knowledge and using it to inform others.

I think the most upsetting thing for me is when someone else brings up veganism, and I talk about my motives, and they pretty much plug their ears and go "oh, I just don't even want to know what happens". It makes me crazy.

You don't want to know what happens? Well sure it's hard to hear, but just because you stick your fingers in your ears doesn't mean it's not happening. And frankly that might be the most upsetting thing - willful ignorance. I feel like when I look in the eyes of any animal - dog, cow, whatever - I look into their eyes and see something familiar. The thought of turning my head and chomping into a burger is just...I can't even understand it. I used to eat meat, and eggs, and dairy, but once I became informed, it just didn't feel right. I guess the important thing is to keep trying and slowly get the message out there.