No Gym membership but I'm serious!

Options
TheFitHooker
TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
I've heard things "No gym membership? You must not be serious about working out." Sorry just because I am working out and I don't have a gym membership it does not mean I can't possibly be serious about it. I cannot afford one. More power to those who can, I would LOVE one, but I can get a good workout at home.

This is just an introduction to this group!

Here I plan on having a few challenges here and there, and a place here we can support one another. Learn new things we can do in the comfort of our own home.

You might ask "I have a gym membership but I can't always make it, can I still join?" Yes you can! I will not turn you away. You might also say "I have a gym membership but I like working out at home as well, can I still join?" Yes you can! Basically this is a place to support working out at home.

Hope to get to know you and hope you will join in.

Introduce yourself and let us know
SW:
CW:
GW:

Your favorite workouts from home:
Your least favorite workouts from home:

Anything else that might help to better know you?

Replies

• fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I would love a gym membership too... But not only can I not afford it, but it would take so long to load up, get there, get started and head home... I'm lucky to find the 30 minutes I promised to myself!

SW: 208
    CW: 162
    GW: 150

At the moment I am on my second round of 30DS 5 days a week and just started Yoga Meltdown the other 2. When my foot heals I hope to get back to power walking too!

Hate Hate Hate pushups!! Can't do them! And that dang chaturanga move!

I love working out at home!
  • TheFitHooker
    Options
    SW: 250
    CW: 175
    GW: 125ish

I'm starting couch to 5k today, I do 30 day shred but not finished it yet. Wii's just dance 2's just sweat it, and I walk.

I hate planks, that's the only one I can really say I HATE!
  • Brandib1985
    Brandib1985 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    SW: 193.5
    CW: 174.2
    GW: 145

Your favorite workouts from home: Elliptical
    Your least favorite workouts from home: The Dreaded Shred lol

Anything else that might help to better know you? I am a mom of two, I cannot afford a gym and my kids hate the childcare there anyways. So home workout it is for me! I have a love/hate relationship with the workout dvd 30 day shred and I am on day 18 today...The plan is to finish on Dec 31 .
  • Loverj79
    Loverj79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    SW: 227
    CW: 207
    GW: 175

my goal is really to get my BMI down! haha two kids later and i have a big bellly. i am trying to go back in the navy and they want me to be below 163. i look like a stick figure. 175 i am happy and dont look like i need a sandwich. tomorrow fingers crossed i will be starting jillian micheals shred it. wanting to get the two new biggest loser dvds. and C25K.
  • TheFitHooker
    Options
    SW: 227
    CW: 207
    GW: 175

my goal is really to get my BMI down! haha two kids later and i have a big bellly. i am trying to go back in the navy and they want me to be below 163. i look like a stick figure. 175 i am happy and dont look like i need a sandwich. tomorrow fingers crossed i will be starting jillian micheals shred it. wanting to get the two new biggest loser dvds. and C25K.

Yup I totally understand, I have 2 kids, my youngest will be a year on Thursday. You can do this :)
  • Loverj79
    Loverj79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    my youngest is 5 my oldest 13. thanks!
  • Mzday18
    Mzday18 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So I am new to this. I have been just walking the last month but I live in Minnesota so there is now snow on the ground. I use the WII sometimes I am looking for suggestions. long term goal is 200 pounds short term 50lbs and I am currently down 16.
  • anitathelengths
    Options
    Hey,

I'm anitathelengths or ATL for short. I just joined this evening but I've heard that many ladies on another web forum that I am a member of have had lots of success with this site.

SW: 155 (my heaviest)
    CW: 155
    GW: 125

Your favorite workouts from home: Elliptical machine program, crunches, Gilad
    Your least favorite workouts from home: Gilad, Spiderman pushups

Anything else that might help to better know you? I'm trying to lose the weight the "right way" this time. I want to be at a healthier weight before we start a family. I have a hard time getting off the couch and working out. I can easily convince myself that I'll skip a workout today and double up tomorrow and that never happens.
  • Shannon_Nicole83
    Shannon_Nicole83 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

SW:
    CW:
    GW:

Your favorite workouts from home:
    Your least favorite workouts from home:

Anything else that might help to better know you?

Hello all!! I had a gym membership, but I hate going to the gym. I get a much better workout at home where I'm not freaking out about everyone looking at me (serioulsy, no one is watching me, but I'm so uncomfortable I feel like everyone is watching me). Also I have a 6 month old son and I work full time, so I don't get to spend a lot of time with him during the week. Leaving him to go to the gym is hard, so I always had excuses to not go. Now he sits in the bouncer and talks to me while I do my video's so I get to exercise and spend time with him.

SW: 315
    CW: 269
    GW: 180 (ish)

Favorite at home: I'm doing my second round of the 30 DS, it's hard but I like it and it's only 20 minutes (so more time with the little one).
    Least favorite: I don't have one yet
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Hi all. First off, only been here three weeks, but getting majorly into exercise despite not having (or feeling like I need) a gym membership. I do miss the rowing machine and the machine weights, but they aren't required at all.

SW: 232
    CW: 221
    GW: 122

Your favorite workouts from home: I'm really getting into walking, at least while it's cold out. Never thought I would, but the great thing about going for a walk is, when I'm tired, I still have to walk all the way back, so it keeps me going a little longer than I do when I'm just in the living room. I also love XBox Kinect. The games plus Your Shape 2012. I can't dance very well, so I punch and kick the air instead. It works.

Your least favorite workouts from home: My back is messed up so I can only do a few crunches and push ups. I have to be very careful about weights, too. Even though I bought some 15 lb weights and a resistance band, I use those the least right now. The only time I really miss having a gym membership is when I'm doing weights. But again, it's still possible to work my way up to it as long as I'm careful. And it's possible to hurt myself on a machine, too.

Anything else that might help to better know you?: I have a nutty sense of humor and I don't read people very well, in person or online. If you ever suspect I'm deliberately trying to offend someone, you're probably wrong, I'm probably just being clueless.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I'm less than a week old on MFP. Saw this group and cracked a smile. I can afford a gym membership but I'd rather buy good shampoo or shoes. I am pretty fortunate that I can work out at the gym of a firehouse for free, though. The husband is a full-time EMT in one city and a part-time firefighter in another. The part-time station has a small but well-equipped gym. I go 3-4 times a week.

SW: 126
    CW: will find out at my first weekly weigh-in on Wed morning
    GW: 110

Favorite workouts from home: Walking the dogs when it's not butt-freezing outside. If it's butt-freezing outside, I use the stairs at work (office is on the 5th floor)

Least favorite workouts: anything that is medium- to high-impact. My left knee is busted and it needs to be replaced but again, I'd rather buy good shampoo or shoes. I started working out on the elliptical to strengthen my thighs and calves to delay the inevitable.
  • radarlynn
    radarlynn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I used to have a gym membership and loved it, then moved and found a new gym and hated it. Cancelled my membership since I wasn't using it anymore and going it alone at home!

SW: 210
    CW: 171
    GW: 130

Your favorite workouts from home: Lindsay Brin's Moms Into Fitness 60 Day Slimdown
    Your least favorite workouts from home: outside cardio. I HATE running.

I stay at home with my 3 year old, 2 cats, a dog, and 2 horses (they're boarded at someone else's house). Life is INSANE around here! but we love it. I've been using various Lindsay Brin workouts for a year now and they're all great!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    sw:82lbs cw:110lbs no gw. I do p90x, insanity, asylum, tae bo, crossfit, run, and my own circuits at home. I believe hard work, not fancy equipment, makes muscle. I started doing squats with my 63lb pitbull. If you get creative you get fit :)
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    SW: 180
    CW: 180 (started today)
    GW: 125

Your favorite workouts from home: I love to do Kettlebells.. My fav person is Lauren Brooks.. she rocks. Not many people know how awesome KB's are, and how much they really work. Also, I began doing Breast Cancer runs when my mother was diagnosed. Have been doing that for two years now. Lately I have no idea what has been holding me back, but i have been very lazy and really need to get in gear! Hoping this site will do that for me. Would love to do a full marathon, and a tri.

Your least favorite workouts from home: I dont have one really. I have tried many different ones.

My name is Rebekah and i am 29yrs old with a wonderful husband and two kids, 5 and 7.
  • YepItsTime
    YepItsTime Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I used to belong to a gym but just went to the spin classes. Summer came (and I could ride outside), there are a number of other things to spend money on so...the gym membership went. I had a elliptical a few years ago and used it nearly every day. It screwed up my knee. The elliptical is gone and I'll never use another. I got a spin bike this fall but it bothers my knee about half of the time I use it. I'm short and can't quite set it to fit my size. That might be why it bothers my knee. Riding outside usually doesn't bother me unless I ride too hard or too far. I love to walk but winters here are hard and last five months. I'm really curious to hear what works for all of you. I need to do more than one exercise so I don't screw up any more body parts. :-}

I have a desk job so am not active at work.

Want to lose: 40 lbs
    Currently have lost: 15 lbs
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I do have a memebrships to quit a few gyms I like to have the variety , but it is the same equipment, so I started using COMCAST EXERCISE TV!! AWESOME!! so I would do at least 20 mins of a choice of work outs, and I also to the 10 mins work out, I have fun with it. Working out has ALMOST become like breathing! Someday I look forward to it, and some days I don't want to be bother, but I get and I do it. Yesterday @ the gym I started the 5k couch challenge, and I paced myself, so far so good, tomorrow I would be back at it!Today is my Comcast day :) Had an awful day, I like to limit myself with my snacking, and right when I was doing ok, I ate some nuts! man was I mad, disappointed frustrated:grumble: :explode: , the whole 9. I bounced back, I went into the gym with a bad *kitten* attitude and I kicked butt!!!:happy:
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    yes Kettle balls are awesome, I need to get one
  • ItsMeRebekah
    Options
    they really are but expensive sheeez
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options

SHEESH, i know, right? I told my mom, "for $50 i'll swing a freaking dumbell around!"
  • ItsMeRebekah
    Options

SHEESH, i know, right? I told my mom, "for $50 i'll swing a freaking dumbell around!"
    hahaha its so true!!! i have found that CL can sport good deals