Fellow nurses...

Options
radicalmom
radicalmom Posts: 54 Member
Hey there! How's it going? My name is Ellen and I saw your group. I thought I'd say hi and see if you are letting other's in your group?
:smile:

Replies

• healthchick
    healthchick Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Jo, a Nursing Educator in New Zealand. Nice to meet you
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Hey guys what is going on?!
  • healthchick
    Options
    Just spending the evening watching the election debate (NZ has its general election on Saturday). How about you?
  • radicalmom
    Options
    Hi Jo. Nice to meet you! I am an advanced practice nurse, I work with Oncology patients in Seattle, Washington. How is this working out for you? I am noticing how much and when I eat...it has been interesting. I find I have triggers to overeating, stress and fatigue.
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I just joined your group today. I am an LPN in the state of Ohio. I have been at this weight loss thing for a while now so I;m hoping you all can give me a bit more encouragement!
  • radicalmom
    Options
    Wow, Tiffany 57 pounds? That is really amazing! What have your challenges been lately?
  • healthchick
    Options
    I am finding MFP helpful and has made me a lot more aware of "wasted calories". My goal is life style change so I am trying not to be obsessed with calorie counting (as for me I will not be able to sustain this long term).

My biggest goal is exercise, and not letting work dominate my life (easier said than done).

I hope your all doing fantastic, Tiffany awesome weight loss, well done
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Wow, Tiffany 57 pounds? That is really amazing! What have your challenges been lately?

My challenges are everyday life. With the holidays it is super hard. I'm hoping to maintain over the holiday season and then kick it in gear Jan 1st!!
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Hey Tiffany! I am a Buckeye too! I work and live in Maryland though. I understand what you mean everyday life. I guess what I would say for now is don't give in! Just take one day or even one meal at a time and determine to enjoy each meal. We nurses work crazy and then we spiral...but we must try to focus on our health needs so we can be strong for our families friends and patients.
  • healthchick
    Options

My challenges are everyday life. With the holidays it is super hard. I'm hoping to maintain over the holiday season and then kick it in gear Jan 1st!!

Awesome plan. I am on holiday of summer (I am in NZ so it is summer over here) and my plan is to crank up the outdoor exercise, and to develop some good ideals for when I am back at work and again working the crazy hours
  • Rollie277
    Rollie277 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm a RN traveling up and down east coast USA. I'm originally from Oregon. I've been a nurse for about six years, I started college full time in 1999. I'm 5'8" (173cm) and I just got down (again) to 270 lbs (122.5 kg). I've always been big but was able to stave off serious weight gain doing marital arts and yoga in my early 20s. I put on 40lbs (18kg) in school and another 40 during my first nursing jobs working night shift.

I've been keeping my diet to about 2k calories for almost a whole month now and I've dropped 15lbs, without doing strength training. The only exercise I get now is at work.

I have a big science background, but it's been hard to apply objective principles to my own subjective thinking about my habits and my situation. I've yo-yo'ed badly since I started nursing school and I've had trouble breaking the 250 lb mark. I think i get a little freaked out when I get below a size 16, I feel vulnerable without my fatty armor.

It's good to be part of a group that experiences similar stress!
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    You can do it Ms 277
  • Rollie277
    Rollie277 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    FYI I loves me some wonderwoman/linda carter lol.
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    ;)
  • radicalmom
    Options
    You are so right about similiar stresses. I found fitness and eating well almost impossible when I worked nights. I either ate crap or very little and then binged and exercise was tough. I think it is wonderful that you have lost 15! Way to go! Anyone else work nights that has some good ideas?
  • Crazynurseblack
    Crazynurseblack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Another Buckeye here, living and working in NC. I am at day 6 of "The 17 Day Diet". I cook before work so I stay away from the cafeteria, and am sure to have plenty of snacks. My problem is the exercise. After working all night and driving 45 mins home, its all I can do to get in my bed. My knees are as old as me and usually screaming at me in the morning. I wake up to kids coming home from school & getting my food packed up for work. I am the queen of excuses. Have you noticed that yet? :happy: Anyhow, I need some motivation to move my butt. Any suggestions? I have all the P90 disks, just not the drive to do them. Somebody light a fire under me please? I have 20 lbs to lose.
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Miss Crazy-Nurse (why does that sound like a line name?!) how about doing exercise in short intervals? Do just 10-15 minutes till you get a habit and can do more?
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Sad as nurses we are all so busy we don't have time to talk with each other and provide support!
  • TessyB
    TessyB Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow nurses! Neuro tely nurse here in Phoenix, Arizona!
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    How do you guys deal with high expectations as nurses from the job? Notice I am trying to be polite! LOL!