Christmas Break

Options
amybell68
amybell68 Posts: 275 Member
Do you plan to take two weeks off of Home Schooling like the rest of the world?? If not/or is so, what are your plans??

Replies

• HisBeachgirl
    HisBeachgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    We certainly are! Not so much because others are doing it, but because I need it! In summer we only take two to three weeks off, this is so we can take more time off throughout the year for family trips or just to stop burnout. I do find though that more than two weeks and we start to go stir crazy. For these two weeks, we'll be doing the holiday baking and making home made gifts for our church family. I'll be spending some much needed time straightening up school records and reevaluating things, seeing if we're up to our goals and what not. Not to mention taking a bit more time to relax and enjoy the little things in life. :)
  • chrissifreeman
    chrissifreeman Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yep. Just like HisBeachgirl, we take a shorter summer with lots of breaks through the year. We have a week break every 4 or 5 weeks. It's working for us. :)
    We'll enjoy time off to relax, reevaluate, and let us remember that we really do LIKE school. The kids get bored and start wanting to get back to the routime.
    What about YOU. What ar y'all going to do?
  • MrsJones98
    Options
    We will be traveling out of town for a week, so will have time off then. We are pretty lax about school during December simply b/c we need the break - but more than a couple of days off wreaks havoc with our sense of organization, so we don't truly take a lot of time off unless we are traveling. We don't tend to schedule our breaks, although this year I did tell the kids that if they met certain goals before Thanksgiving they could then have that week off. It worked nicely to motivate them to finish sections with much less whining :)

Having said that, we tend to travel pretty often, and are already working on plans for a spring and a summer road trip!
  • cnew02
    Options
    We're going to stop our "regular" curriculm because my hubby will be off of work those 2 weeks. We're going to do a family study on all of the Presidents (requested by the student, lol). We're going to top that off with a trip to the Presidential museum we have, and probably a few other museums to, since daddy will be there to help out with my little one. My 3 yr old is a bit of a handful sometimes.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Not quite two weeks, but we'll get a decent break. We take just 2 days for Thanksgiving, 10-12 days for Christmas, and spring break is whenever we get a week of beautiful weather. We'll grab a snow day when there is a really nice, snowy wintry day that the public schools do NOT get off (we work through their snow breaks) so that we can enjoy the sledding hill without 4000 other people on it - there are plenty of other home schoolers out there to play with, so we're not alone by any means - and then we take a good, long summer break. I school from right after Labor Day until right before Memorial Day. It gives me so much more flexibility this way.