Training between races.

Hello fellow runners! I have a quick question about continuing training after a race.

I recently completed a half marathon (last weekend) and am registering for another in March. I followed (a self modified version) of Hal Higdon's Novice 2 training plan for my race last weekend and was wondering what other runners do training-wise BETWEEN races?

If your next race was in apx 12 weeks and you were already running the required distance... would you taper your long runs down and then work back up or continue to keep them closer to race distance? What does your training look like between races? =)

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 253 Member
    I have about a month between my half marathon and beginning training for a marathon. (HM was Nov 24, marathon training starts Dec 26) The program has me starting out at an 8 mile long run, so this month I've been running 4 days a week, one being a long run (last run was 9.5 miles) I'm planning a 12 miler the week before the marathon training starts.

So, I guess what I've done is taper a little and built back up quickly? I really had no advice on thIs, it's just what I've felt like doing.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    I wish I could help. I've been trying to figure this one ot myself. I've been having knee problems so I promised my physical therapist I would lay off serious training for a while. I've been focusing on speed work and crosstraining till I start ramping up my training again in January.
  • Thanks, guys.

I am considering throttling back to 8 miles and increasing mileage a half mile each week until my next half in March. It's great to hear what everyone else does (so thanks, bjbixler)- so hopefully folks will continue posting on here!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    what i've decided to do is continue with the training, but just with less pressure. i'm going to keep up with the long runs, but maybe top out at about 8-10miles, depending on how i feel at the time.

i thought that swapping over to a month of doing 5k runs for speedwork would be a good idea, but it wasn't. it's been painful getting back into the swing of things.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Depends what your long term objectives are and how you are feeling right now, If you feel good I would keep up the distance, peaking at 15 miles.

If you have some injury niggles I would have a rest / recovery and take down the distance.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I upped to 15 miles, then switched to the FIRST training program, which is very specific detailed training. I'm sticking very closely to plan because i"m working on speed, which I've never done before. After my half in March, I have a 12K in May and another half in May but I will just maintain between the two. I'm really thinking I'm going to switch up after March and train for a full marathon again, I'll probably do the same one I did last time in October, and hope it doesn't rain as badly.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Hello fellow runners! I have a quick question about continuing training after a race.

I recently completed a half marathon (last weekend) and am registering for another in March. I followed (a self modified version) of Hal Higdon's Novice 2 training plan for my race last weekend and was wondering what other runners do training-wise BETWEEN races?

If your next race was in apx 12 weeks and you were already running the required distance... would you taper your long runs down and then work back up or continue to keep them closer to race distance? What does your training look like between races? =)

Thanks for any input!

I ran a half in september and am running a full in April (London Marathon). In Between i did hal higdons spring training, and this week i've just started HH advanced 2. if you look on his site, he even has a training plan packaged as a 30 week plan which is spring training and i think intermediate 2 combined