Introduce Ourselves

Options
I just thought it would be interesting to see who is all in here. I just got invited today :)

My name is Ashley. I am 25 years old and a 1st year medical student at Chicago Medical School. I am married to the most wonderful man in the world. and in my free time (well... premedical school), I enjoy knitting, reading, board games, and pretty much anything that involves casually hanging out with friends and family. I'm also a beachbody coach - so if you happen to be interested in turbo fire, p90x, Insanity, shakeology - all that jazz, let me know!

I grew up in Albuquerque, New Mexico, but as a child I also lived in Texas, Oregon, and Arizona. Since graduating high school I spent four years in Colorado, two in Rhode Island, and this is my second year in Chicago.

Replies

• PaulaP22
    Options
    Hey All, I'm Paula, a 23 year old second year medical student at the University of Utah, with a chief complaint of... just kidding!
    I'm currently engaged, and can't wait to marry my wonderful fiance in June. Med school has been a lot of fun, but it has also been really hard on my waistline, and I'd like to lose some of that weight I gained before my wedding! In my spare time (which there really isn't much of), I have fun reading, cooking, playing the piano or guitar, and really anything where I get to spend time with friend and fam.
    I'm very excited to start practicing what I preach, I'm sick of feeling like a hypocrite regarding my own health! Lets do this!
  • DrNicoleRed
    DrNicoleRed Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    I'm a 37 yr old. I finished MD/PhD at the Medical University of SC, then internal medicine residency at Emory, then a general internal medicine fellowship/MPH at Brigham and Women's Hospital/Harvard School of Public Health. I'm now doing 80% research on racial/ethnic health disparities at Univ of AL at Birmingham and 20% outpatient internal medicine at our public hospital in Birmingham. Needless to say, there were crappy eating/exercise habits from residency forward coupled with the quite obvious slowing of metabolism at age 30 and again at 35. But folks who meet me say I look 28, so I want my body to match my youthful face! And after several yrs of research on the behavioral contributors to health disparities I'm determined to not be in the bell of the current population curve!

I've learned quite a lot from my journey so far and it has definitely impacted how I can support my patients as they face similar challenges, often with higher stakes as they may already have signs/symptoms of organ damage.

Nicole
  • medstudentchef
    Options
    I'm a 25 year old 3rd year medical student. I'm planning on going into psychiatry. I put on a few pounds in college, and then even more in medical school. I'm trying to get down to my pre-college weight. In what spare time I do have I like to cook, watch movies, and read.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm Jakemia, a 36 year old Pulmonologist/Intensivist with a 13 month old son. I'm just trying to stay healthy.
  • Peachoid
    Peachoid Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Abhi. A second year Biomed Informatics fellow at Harvard Medical School. I am 37 and have packed pounds of weight through medical school and residency. I have been yo yoing with my weight loss efforts for quite sometime now. Its time I go on a consistent downward spiral on that one. Professionally I am a trained anesthesiologist and have a business degree, several years of work experience in the healthcare business and technology sub-sectors. While going through some of my high school pictures, recently, my dad in law (an interventional cardiologist) decided that if I went back to my high school weight, there was a neat sum of money in it for me (yes, bait me with a wager). Its a challenge; its not about the money (although that too is welcome), its about my prestige - I have to prove to them that I can do it. It's deadlined too, I cannot take forever. We planned on one year, which sounded reasonable. I have a distance to go, but I am well on my way.

I recently decided to go vegan (have been a moderate meat eater). I came across the Esselstyn Diet (for heart disease risk reduction) - works wonders with the weight aspect as well. And the over reaching aim here is to make a lifestyle of it, not limit it to just weight loss. I see beautiful results and the results help me to make more effort.

The last time I met my husband, the look on his face was that of amazement - I had lost 10 lbs since we met (he is in CA, me in MA). I want to see that look on more faces - I like it. Its worth it. :-)

Abhi
    (Are we all girls here :-))
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi All! :)

Guess I am a little late to introduce myself.

I'm Vidya, originally from Toronto, Canada, attended medical school abroad in Europe, finished my last two years of medical school (rotations) in Chicago and New York and finally graduated May of this year.

I am currently back at home in Toronto, preparing for my USMLE Step 2 and the Canadian board exam aswell. Will be applying for residency in the US Sept 2012 and hope to match in either Obstetrics & Gynecology or Family Medicine.

My years in medical school were certainly fun but also stressful and I found that I ate a lot of bad foods when I was stressed. I look back and I feel disgusted knowing that before an exam I would load myself with caffeine, chocolates and bags upon bags of Doritos. After an exam, the stress of finding out my mark would make me order a extra large pizza and I would sit on my bed and eat the whole thing without thinking twice....yikes!

I find that I could use this year before residency to develop good eating and exercising habits. It also helps me relax, away from my books.

Great seeing everyone on here :) Goodluck to everyone!!
  • DancinBear63
    DancinBear63 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I am a family physician, also serving as medical director of a community health center. I have spent the last 12 years focusing on school, residency, and building a practice, and my attention to diet and exercise has suffered. I am excited to get started with this program.
  • Joy_ofwtloss50
    Joy_ofwtloss50 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Robyn, a family physician from Iowa. Undergrad, Med School, residency training and practice - all in Iowa. Currently I work at a student health center -

I'm older than all you other young pups......I congratulate you all as being very smart to get/stay healthy with regular exercise and proper diet when you're young....it doesn't get easier as you get older. I used to say when I'm done with med school, when I've finished residency.....I'll start tomorrow/Monday/next month/January 1st. Now I have health problems related to my weight - not that I didn't know it was coming. But denial is powerful.

I'm a stress eater - no stress in my chosen profession LOL
  • ChelseaHamman
    ChelseaHamman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm a 35 year old family physician mother of 4. After giving my "you can make healthy food changes and incorporate regular exercise into your life" spiel for the umpteenth time last year, it occurred to me that I was not doing 'what I preached.' I am in no means in tip-top shape, but I am working on become more fit (and toned!) and eating even healthier. I joined this site for 2 reasons: to learn about myself and my habits and to experience tools that I might be able to share with others. Everything in life is always a journey...
  • Momethy
    Momethy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just turned the big 4-0. I trained in FP, but have been doing ER full-time for 9 years. Now that my 3 kids are in school, I'm trying to focus more on my health. Weird sleep schedule and stress eating have been obstacles. Weight has definitely yo-yo'd since med school. I've always liked exercising, but my joints aren't being kind to me carrying around 30-50 extra pounds. Need to tame the eating beast! Trying to focus on making my next 40 years as healthy as can be!
  • jmuhnie
    jmuhnie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    3rd year EM resident, 6 months until the "real" world. Put on over 30 lbs in residency. I've been on this site since April last year. Stopped gaining weight around that time and now I'm trying to move in the other direction. My wife (yes I'm a guy) has also joined MFP and we are counting calories together. Her support is making a huge difference. Good to see the other people on the site. My wife (also an MD) has had a clinic patient lose over 75 lbs after he found this website on his own. I figured that if a random person can find MFP, follow his calories and have success then there is no reason that I can't.
  • elcar7
    elcar7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hey folks!

My name is Lisa and currently I am still a med student (shouldn't be any longer in about a month or so) :D from Austria. Then I am going to start my residency for becoming a GP and later on hopefully getting into a radiology residency :)

for my own history, I've always been a little overweight and currently trying to lose weight - at the moment I am really involved in doing lots of exercise (Zumba and weight lifting), since I have the time with just waiting for graduation and I don't think that I will have more free time afterwards while working ;)
  • BethKMMA
    BethKMMA Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This group doesn't appear to be very active, but I thought I would introduce myself and see if anyone else is interested in actively posting.

My name is Beth, and I am older than most of you (55), married with 6 children and 5 grandchildren, chief medical officer of a large community health center in MA, and on the faculty of a FM residency program.

I have always been heavy, childbearing added even more weight. I lost over 75 lb with WW about 12 years ago, then regained during a stressful time at work. I lost 75 lb again, this time with WW Online, about 2 years ago, and now I'm focusing on maintaining my weight. Recent stressors have resulted in gaining 10 lb, and I thought I would try MFP as an alternative to WW Online, to lose this gained weight. I absolutely do NOT want to go back to where I have spent most of my adult life!

I spend a great deal of time advising my patients to lose weight. Only a few of them can afford WW, even WW Online, so I am hopeful that MFP may be a valuable free option for those who do have internet access (most do, even though they are all low income).

I hope you other docs and medical students come back to the group so we can actively help each other out!
  • jmuhnie
    jmuhnie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Beth-

Welcome to MFP. I don't think may of us post often...perhaps because we are busy? I am an EM attending but my wife has had several patients succeed using MFP in her medicine clinic. The engineer/computer nerd type of person seems to embrace it the most per her non-evidence based experience. I give it out to patients in the ED as my one small fight against obesity.
  • JennergyKC
    JennergyKC Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a fourth year med student. It used to be easier to exercise and eat well... Then there was med school... Then Step 1... Then clerkships... Then Step 2. The excuses never stopped, so I finally decided I just needed to start jogging and eating well again or it was never going to happen.
  • BethKMMA
    BethKMMA Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Welcome. At this group there isn't much activity because everyone is so busy! But check in periodically, and if you have a question, or want the perspective of other physicians, feel free to post it. I'm sure you will get support from the rest of the group.
  • neurorat
    neurorat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am a surgery resident (LOVE trauma and vascular). I'm using MFP to help me maintain my 73 pound weight loss.
    I went to medical school at Ohio University and have lived in Ohio my entire life.

I am *trying*to love running and am getting better at it. I am a vegetarian, married with no kids.

Its great to see other docs on here!
  • DocMomKim
    DocMomKim Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am an Internal Medicine physician in Marshall, Texas. I am the mother of 7 (4 of my own and 3 step) and grandmother to 6. I have a very hectic schedule as most physicians do. I am not only part of a very busy group practice but I am also medical director for Hospice (which love), Med Director for 2 nursing homes, Chief of Medicine, Chief of Cardiac Rehab, Med Director for a college paramedic training program and lastly Med Director for a home health. I originally gained my weight with my first pregnancy at 18 and have gradually climbed since that time. I have lost and gained the weight of several human bodies over the last 27 years. I have also made a million excuses for myself during that time. When faced with worsening arthritis due to psoriatic arthritis with constant knee and back pain as well as glucose intolerance, I finally had a "come to Jesus" talk with myself and decided enough was enough. I am too smart to let my weight be out of control. I know what I need to do but had to accept that I was a "carboholic". I do not consider myself on a diet but I am making lifestyle changes that I have never made before. I am strictly limiting all breads, pastas, potatoes, white rice and sweets. I am doing this not only for myself and my health but I am doing this for my kids and grandkids.
  • DrNicoleRed
    DrNicoleRed Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Checking back in...hit a plateau back in the Spring but have maintained a 20 lb weight loss. Struggling with workouts during the winter. Here's to a healthy new year!
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Checking this group out. Work in public health for the past 8 years. Married with 2 children