Best Gluten free breads you have found

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
My friend has a gluten intolerance she just found out about. What are some of the tastier bread brands that are GF?

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find GF bread in the store that doesn't tastes/have the texture of a dish sponge. I use this recipe, and I love it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ilookthetype/view/gluten-free-bread-you-can-eat-untoasted-166266
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I like Food For Life white rice bread. They have a brown rice bread, but it falls apart and is drier than the white rice. I also know that there is Ezekiel something or another.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find GF bread in the store that doesn't tastes/have the texture of a dish sponge. I use this recipe, and I love it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ilookthetype/view/gluten-free-bread-you-can-eat-untoasted-166266

Thanks I printed this and gave it to my friend!
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like Udi's. Not Rudi's. Not sure why they're so similar :ohwell:
    Also, the seeded bread that Whole Foods makes GF is really good for $7 a loaf. It's in the freezer section.
    Food for Life Brown Rice bread (Trader Joe's has this) is okay if you toast it.

I skip bread now, if something I eat NEEDS bread I'll do a lettuce wrap.

I second iLooktheType's opinion about GF bread tasting like a sponge. Glutenfreegoddess has some great recipes. As well as glutenfreegirl. Make your own!
  • myurk
    myurk Posts: 108
    Options
    UDI's <-- Definitely the best one I have found so far.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I agree on UDI's. My favorite is Whole Foods Prairie bread. HOWEVER it is really high in calories. 180 Calories for one slice I believe, so UDI's is much better 150 for 2 slices!
  • myurk
    myurk Posts: 108
    Options
    Still bugs me that GF bread is so high in calories and often has little nutritional value. I miss regular bread
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I love Rudi's, especially the raisin bread. By far the best I have tasted!
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Agree on Udi's, I also make my own with Bob's Red Mill Homemade Wonderful GF Bread Mix in a bread machine, and it's *almost* just like real bread and much more cost-efficent. It doesn't fall apart on you as badly as some and you aren't stuck with those mini-size slices.
  • slroberts55
    slroberts55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The best breads I have had (and can have) are from two bakeries in Florida: Sami's and Deland Bakeries. They're whole grain and don't contain citric acid like Udi's (which I'm highly allergic to. They're getting harder to find, especially fresh, so I may have to order large quantities direct from them.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I like Udi's bread but honestly it is really the only ones I have had. I was just on a cruise and they served a very good gf bread, seemed just like any regular bread you would get, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find out who made it. I am going to call them and see if I can find out and will post if I do!