Hunger

Options
Do you feel hunger? When? How does it make you feel?

I often can restrict to (typically) 500-700 cals for days and not feel hungry at all. Then sometimes, like today, I try to eat well and am STILL hungry after eating. I just over-ate at lunch (though not too badly at least) and I'm now so much hungrier than I was before I ate! It makes no sense, and I hate it. Feeling hungry makes me really nervous and upset because I'm so afraid of over-eating and gaining weight or (more likely right now) b/ping.

Replies

• lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    that happens to me too. Days where i eat around 600 cals, i'm completely satisfied and not hungry anymore. But say i go out to eat and binge...i get so hungry later. It just makes me want to eat little cals ALL the time.
  • jescadet
    jescadet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I believe my 'hungry/full-mechanism' is broken. I don't know whether it never worked at all and led to my ED, or if it broke due to the self abuse from the ED. Suppose it doesn't matter at this point. I believe part of my disorder is addiction, both to food and to behaviors. From experience, I know that I will eat cereal until every last bit of it is gone from my house, and still want more. One doughnut only leaves me wanting the other eleven. I think my mind/body interpret stress as hunger, and sees binge/purging as stress relief. When I restrict, I almost get high off of "winning" over my body's hunger. But then when I do finally eat, its like that pent up hunger gets unleashed on me like a monster.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    "starvation mode" theorists will tell you that it's to be expected, that in a famine situation the body doesn't waste energy by making you feel hungry, which would lead you to make a fruitless search for food, but whenever you've had a reasonable amount it is worth the body risking a food search as it may be the famine has lifted.

The ody is supposed to "guess" the energy content of a meal by taste, texture and volume. Purging - and artificial sweeteners - lead the body to re-*kitten* it's estimation, and increase the hunger response as it appears the food was not as calorific as it thought, and so (much) more is be needed.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I dont really even get hungry anymore. And if my stomach growls I dont realize. I have learned to ignore my bodies cues which isnt good.
  • cschmidt42
    cschmidt42 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    "starvation mode" theorists will tell you that it's to be expected, that in a famine situation the body doesn't waste energy by making you feel hungry, which would lead you to make a fruitless search for food, but whenever you've had a reasonable amount it is worth the body risking a food search as it may be the famine has lifted.

The ody is supposed to "guess" the energy content of a meal by taste, texture and volume. Purging - and artificial sweeteners - lead the body to re-*kitten* it's estimation, and increase the hunger response as it appears the food was not as calorific as it thought, and so (much) more is be needed.

I have heard that about artificial sweeteners, I am totally addicted to them. I try to quit using them and just find myself buying more. I use them in my tea, cokes, cereal, coffee you name it!
  • cschmidt42
    cschmidt42 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I believe my 'hungry/full-mechanism' is broken. I don't know whether it never worked at all and led to my ED, or if it broke due to the self abuse from the ED. Suppose it doesn't matter at this point. I believe part of my disorder is addiction, both to food and to behaviors. From experience, I know that I will eat cereal until every last bit of it is gone from my house, and still want more. One doughnut only leaves me wanting the other eleven. I think my mind/body interpret stress as hunger, and sees binge/purging as stress relief. When I restrict, I almost get high off of "winning" over my body's hunger. But then when I do finally eat, its like that pent up hunger gets unleashed on me like a monster.

I so completely am the same way, I have no stopping sense! I can eat a whole box of cereal in one setting, doughnuts the same way! I am a carb, sugar addict! It is such a stress reliever, I am trying to get it under control! If there is such a thing! A monster is a good way to describe it! :grumble:
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I'm finally starting to feel hungry again. Now if I eat fewer than 1300-1400, I'm really hungry. I get hungry every few hours, which feels good, actually.
  • Ashley66015
    Ashley66015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've found that when you eat allot of kow calorie snacks like apples , veggies and like 90 cal fiber one brownies you get full faster

EDITED BY MOD: pro-anorexia

But i do understand when it does get to the point where you cant eat.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm finally starting to feel hungry again. Now if I eat fewer than 1300-1400, I'm really hungry. I get hungry every few hours, which feels good, actually.

Woohoo! great news.
  • rkass323
    rkass323 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way too. i can usually restrict pretty well around 600 calories in small snacks. but when i sit down to have a 300-400 calorie meal, i find myself still ravenous after eating it. and that leads to the bingeing and purging. i wish i could eat a normal amount like 1200-1500 a day, but to me its impossible.

i generally don't feel hungry though. my boyfriend (a nurse) said that its a common symptom in anorexics to lose their appetite after starving for so long. but i don't know exactly why.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't get really hungry often, but I have certain food cravings, especially salty foods.