who sends the first text?

Options
acasey0123
acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
So a guy came in to where I was working and we chatted it up for a bit and then he asked for my number which I gave to him so we could go out for drinks sometime...do I wait for him to text first?

Replies

• GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    you should! I think guys want a girl that isn't afraid to make the first move!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options

I suppose this ^^ ... but I am too shy anyway but it would be easier if the guy text first... To me, I would think if he texted first than at least you can be sure he is at least interested..... It would make me feel better.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    but he asked me for my number so I know hes intersted but Im just not sure what to write...sometimes I hate being single
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I hate being single too. But I'm actually good at it lol.
    I personally would let him make the first contact. Men love the chase.
    But if you are getting antsy then send something like 'hey this is name from place you met. I wanted to check out this new bar or restaurant. Care to join?'
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    He should be making the first move...wait for him to text.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    but he asked me for my number so I know hes intersted but Im just not sure what to write...sometimes I hate being single

I understand! At least your going to be getting a text! --___-- :)
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say I would wait for him to text but knowing myself that wouldn't happen. But if you have the patience to wait let him text you first!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Personally I want a guy who can make the first move... or I guess in this case, the second move too. He suggested going out, he should text you. I my opinion. However, I think that BondBomb had it right, if you want to check out a place, sending a text wouldn't be amiss.
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Agreed!
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options

What did you guys chat about? If there was a common interest, you could use that as an opener. For example, say you discussed your shared love of Daniel Craig movies (hey, it could happen!), then you could text saying, "I was just walking by xxx theater and noticed that the 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' is playing all week. Interested?"

Or something like that.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    See I dont even let myself get tempted. I just give them my number and don't take theirs that way I cant text first. Cause I totally will and that seems to turn some guys off
  • jjjohnson31
    jjjohnson31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would be so ecstatic actually obtaining someone’s number that I would send a text right away (if nothing else to make sure the text goes through). Does that appear desperate? Yeah, but at least there is no disguising interest.
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I like a man that will take the initiative in getting the plans for the date going. I personally wait till they text me. He did make the first move by asking for your number but setting up an actual date is different.
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Ive learned that its always a good idea to go after what you want because there are alot of competition in the dating world. Text him if he is someone you want to get to know. Dont over think it, just do it.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I hate being single too. But I'm actually good at it lol.
    I personally would let him make the first contact. Men love the chase.
    But if you are getting antsy then send something like 'hey this is name from place you met. I wanted to check out this new bar or restaurant. Care to join?'

This is a really good suggestion. I've always been shy, and waiting for the guys to make the moves, but I'd (personally) kind of like to change that. If you text him something like this suggestion, you're both showing independence and interest.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I hate this part of dating.. who calls or texts first.

Blah.

In this situation, I would have waited for him to text/ call me. He asked for my number so I'd wait on him.

I get confused when contemplating whether or not to call or text AFTER a date. I thanked the guy from last night's 1st date when I got home through text. Not sure if that's against the dating rules or not but I wanted to say thank you.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I miss the good old days when guys used to pick up the phone and call. :frown:

That said, I usually let the guy text first. But I'm not a stickler for the rules, so occasionally I send the first one. Maybe wait a while, a day or so, and then text if you haven't heard from him.