Food Inc

Options
If you need the little extra push to insist on eating organic/free range meat/eggs WATCH IT! I have some meat in the freezer that's not organic, and it's too late to get ahold of organic lamb for Christmas but after all that is gone I will not be purchasing anymore meat that isn't grass fed and free range. Financially this will mean eating a LOT less meat but I'm OK with that, and hubby SAYS he is too.

If you have seen or do see it let me know what you think? It also got me really caring that the animals I eat are treated humanly....looks like i'll be driving up to Philly at least once a month for meat and what not.

Replies

• VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Just called shoprite and they have free range rack of lamb <3 maybe the trick to shopping around here is to ask someone to show me around to where the natural stuff is :)
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    Food Inc was a slap in the face, eye opener. I watched it a few years ago, but think I should watch it again. I need a reminder of how discusting our food is and how corrupt the industry is. I do beleive the move to eat organic & healthy is slowly becoming a trend & I hope to see it continue. Maybe if we all ate organic, or atleast grass fed, and support independant farmers, our food would become more affordable. Personally, I'm guilty of considering the cost when I make shopping decisions, but I am trying to improve that situation. There are a few local farms in my area with grass fed animals and I've been trying to purchase my meat from them. Not only is it healthier, but I enjoy supporting of the local farmers. And you are right, this might mean eating less meat. If you want another eye opener, watch forks over knives. I actually didn't watch the entire thing, most of it, it's kind of slow and boring, but very informative. It will make you want to eat less meat. I could never be a vegetarian, but I think I could definately eat less meat. It doesn't have to be the staple of every meal.

When I watched Food Inc, I passed it on to any one who would watch it. Many of those people were just as affected by it as I was and they also spread it to anyone who cared. At the time my daughter was a junior in high school & took the movie to school. Her teacher made her entire 11th grade class watch it. My daughter told me that several of her class mates were also making their families watch it. This created kind of an upheaval, many parents were attending board meetings to ask for changes to the school lunch program and they actually watched Food Inc. during one of the board meetings. Unfortunately, nothing changed, our children's health is not as important as the school budget. Where is Jamie Oliver when you need him?

Definately ask around, research, you will find natural products. You might have to go out of your way and really look for stuff, but it is there. In my area it is almost like there is an underground secret organic world that no one knows about. You just gotta find the people that know!!! Luckily for me, my boyfriend's aunt is organic/natural woman religiously!!!! She is my go to girl & has all the answers and resourses. She is also into natural healing & has taken a stand against the food and drug industries. We need more people like her in this world.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    jbdown - wow that is so cool that you're watching the movie and sharing it had such an impact. I haven't watched the movie but my mom told me about it and I have read the website of the producers as well as some other books. I also now buy my meat from local farmers. I just picked up breakfast sausage, ground beef and beef brisket tonight that is from locally raised pastured animals who don't have antiobiotics and hormones. One of the farms is Animal Welfare Certified.
  • SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    Options
    Food Inc is a fantastic documentary covering the unknown food crisis of our world. It's a shame that these type of films are not more publicly available or shown on TV as a regular broadcast. Education and knowledge is the key to starting any change, but without easy access to the material, change is almost impossible.

Below is a list of movie titles I have collected while writing my blog. I hope you find them insightful and as interesting as Food Inc - I sure did.

A River of Waste
    Earthlings
    Farmageddon
    Fast Food Nation
    Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead
    Fed Up!
    Food Beware: Organic French Revolution
    Food Matters
    Food, Inc.
    Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution
    King Corn
    Life Running Out of Control
    Sweet Misery
    Tapped the Movie
    The Beautiful Truth
    The Cove
    The Future Of Food
    The Real Dirt on Farmer John
    What's On Your Plate?

Enjoy,
    y.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Food Inc was a transformational movie for me as well. I had been a pescatarian for several years, but it deepened my desire to eat organic foods whenever possible. It also made me appreciate how gullible we are to marketing. They slap a picturesque red-barned farm on the label and we think that's where our food comes from.

I admit to checking prices too as most middle income people do. But I always try to buy organic. We get to vote with our dollars every time we go grocery shopping.

Thanks for the movie list, yabi. It's been saved.

Off to a winter farmers market today. Yay!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Medalist, I wish the had winter farmers markets here!.....what made you go pescatarian? Was it a hard transition? I'm contemplating making the switch. I thought about doing totally vegetarian but I think i'd do better as a pescatarian
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Add Forks over Knives to the list of must see food - related documentaries. The boyfriend and I just watched it together, increased his willingness to eat less meat tenfold in a little over an hour.