Dating and relationships...

Options
Sway
Sway Posts: 100 Member
Hello!! I was curious what everyone's thoughts were on dating, or whatever your situation is and Veganism? Are you married, or dating a Vegan, vegetarian, or a meat eater? How are they with your decisions, and are there any foreseeable issues that might come up? What about raising a vegan baby? I'm having a REALLY hard time meeting any veggie types, so I'll most likely be dating a meat-eater. However I know I definitely want to raise a Vegan baby. Any advice, stories, or suggestions??

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your responses!!

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Curtis (boyfriend) is vegan for environmental reasons, but if he's out with his friends he might have sushi or a slice of BBQ chicken pizza. I cook a lot for him, and it's always vegan - if we wind up moving in together someday, we've discussed that we wouldn't have animal products in our home, and he usually won't order meat, dairy or eggs if the two of us are out to dinner. It works out very well for us, but I know that veg partners (especially men) are hard to come by. Not sure how open you are to this, but the online dating scene is becoming more and more popular, and you can search people by certain qualities that are important to you. Otherwise, you could always look on sites like meetup.com to find a vegan/vegetarian group in your area where you might be able to meet someone!

As for raising vegan kids, I have none and don't ever plan on having any, so I'll leave that to the experts :)
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My significant other is almost vegan, an evolution over about 5 years from eating meat pretty heavily. If were we ever to have children, they would certainly be vegan.

My only suggestion is to be patient and lead by example... but now that I think about it, that goes for almost every challenge in life! :laugh:
  • VeganDawn
    VeganDawn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    my ex gf wasn't vegan and she would still cook me beautiful vegan food , although she always liked to challenge my morals and beliefs around vegan-ism and after a while i found I was really over having to justify my actions and self all the time, because it nice to just be yourself and relax, that saying I believe this can happen between vegans and non-vegans it just takes the right open minded kinda people that hopefully bring a balance to each other. and I know a lot of friends with vegan children, but they have been couples that are both vegan...
  • VeganDawn
    VeganDawn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do agree also that I wouldn't want to live with someone who brings non-vegan products into the home, as home is a sacred space.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'm recently vegan (5 or 6 months) and I went veggie when my hubby was deployed so when we met I did eat chicken and cheese. I do the cooking and 3-4 meals a weeks are vegan and some meals I'll bake him chicken or but cheese in his burrito. He doesn't bug me about it so I don't bug him. If he wants to order a steak when we go out I don't mind because overall I think we're making a much smaller impact on the earth and not supporting CAFOs and stuff. We're not sure we want kids although that would be an issue.
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hmm, thanks. Yes, I believe the house is a sacred place. I'd have to get separate skillets etc... I hope someone would be open minded enough. Everyone I have dated has been pretty cool about the whole thing so far. I really couldn't handle dating someone I'd have to defend myself with all the time. I simply won't put up with crap like that. I'm doing the online thing, and it's been interesting. So we'll see. That's funny over a 5 year transition period... that's pretty awesome!!
  • adamcrisis
    adamcrisis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I used to think I wouldnt care either way...but sometimes I think I wouldnt be able to be in a serious relationship with anyone who ate animal products.

But really if someone amazing came along I wouldnt care either way I think
  • Merlin5438
    Options
    The last time I lived with a boyfriend I was a meat eater so it wasn't an issue. If I ever live with anyone again I don't think that there would be meat products in our house and I would do any carne cooking. Vegan men are a little hard to come by so I am trying to come to some kind of conclusion about how serious to get with meat eaters. I'd be happy to find a nice vegetarian.
  • xmoonlitex123
    xmoonlitex123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Back when I was a vegetarian, I thought that finding a man who would support my beliefs was just impossible because of all the "sissy boy" stereotypes. When I first started dating my current guy though, he quit meat almost right away. We've been together for over 2 years now and he hasn't touched meat since. So even if you do find somebody and they're omnivorous, people can change. Now that I'm vegan, my boyfriend is making the transition too.
  • xmoonlitex123
    xmoonlitex123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As for kids, I'm definitely for raising them vegan. Most of the studies that I've read say that it's a great thing to do. I'm just worried that they'll be picked on, or grow up to eat meat, or worse, resent me for making them "weird". I dunno.
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I was lucky to find a vegan man who converted me! So I would say be open and not pushy. Being veg*n is about compassion so have some, and introduce them to amazing vegan food.

As for kids, raising them vegan isn't important. Raising them to make overall healthy choices and not worry about right/wrong foods and weight is. I think probably vegetarian in the home, but you can't control what they do outside the home.
  • halloweeny_bride27
    halloweeny_bride27 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I were both meat eaters when we met but went Vegetarian together in May of 2010. He went Vegan in August of 2011 and I've been Vegan since January of this year. We do share a house with two meat eaters. But it has not been an issue at all.
    When and if we have a child they will be 100% Vegan until they are old enough to earn the money to buy their own food and at that point if they decide to not be Vegan I will (try to) accept it. I believe I will be able to keep them Vegan as anyone who would so blatantly disrespect my lifestyle choice and the choice I make for my child by giving them non-Vegan food will not be a part of their life. By the time they are old enough for school they will understand why we eat the way we do.
  • jaimemariel
    Options
    My fiance and I were both meat eaters when we met but went Vegetarian together in May of 2010. He went Vegan in August of 2011 and I've been Vegan since January of this year. We do share a house with two meat eaters. But it has not been an issue at all.
    When and if we have a child they will be 100% Vegan until they are old enough to earn the money to buy their own food and at that point if they decide to not be Vegan I will (try to) accept it. I believe I will be able to keep them Vegan as anyone who would so blatantly disrespect my lifestyle choice and the choice I make for my child by giving them non-Vegan food will not be a part of their life. By the time they are old enough for school they will understand why we eat the way we do.

What about your family? Are they accepting of your vegan diet? I know some friends with children who have had major family fall outs because of this. I respect your conviction, but I worry that children want to be like other children. But, I'm a big ol' contrarian so you can just disregard me.
  • jaimemariel
    Options
    Oh I just want to add something. Some people won't date smokers. I don't think I could kiss a "meat mouth." Seriously, maybe if they brushed their teeth reeeeaaally well before kissing. ewe.
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As for kids, I'm definitely for raising them vegan. Most of the studies that I've read say that it's a great thing to do. I'm just worried that they'll be picked on, or grow up to eat meat, or worse, resent me for making them "weird". I dunno.

Raised my daughter in a small, conservative town. She not only took vegetarian lunches to school everyday-- most kids were jealous of her pretty and interesting lunches. Even kids like to hv something that looks appetizing. She was a leader among her peers and never had difficulty having friends. Cld be that the times, they are a changin...
  • halloweeny_bride27
    halloweeny_bride27 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What about your family? Are they accepting of your vegan diet? I know some friends with children who have had major family fall outs because of this. I respect your conviction, but I worry that children want to be like other children. But, I'm a big ol' contrarian so you can just disregard me.

His family is not unsupportive but they probably think we are weirdos. I most likely would not be leaving my child in his families care but not because they would feed it non vegan food just because of other issues. My family is very supportive. I relate it to a child with a peanut allergy do they want to be like other children and eat pb&j? probably but they don't. Same thing. It in non negotiable and not an option for my future child to consume non vegan food. Following the crowd is overrated and I will teach my child WHY we eat the way we do. Plenty of people raise vegan children so I'm not worried. My fiance agrees 100%.