Is this really true??

Options
loisd82
loisd82 Posts: 24 Member
I've just found out that i need to be inutting my BF time into MFP so i just put in that my son BF's 4 times a day and it's added another 2000 cals onto my daily allowance, surely this can't be right?! if it was i would have lost far more weight by now??? anyone have any experience with MPF & BF

13067740.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• loisd82
    Options
    I've just found out that i need to be inutting my BF time into MFP so i just put in that my son BF's 4 times a day and it's added another 2000 cals onto my daily allowance, surely this can't be right?! if it was i would have lost far more weight by now??? anyone have any experience with MPF & BF??
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    That's a definite NO to the 2000 calories. If you put in 'exclusive breastfeeding' in your food diary ONE time, it adds 500 calories and that is the amount for a FULL DAY of exclusive breastfeeding, not just one feeding. If you are feeding your baby at the breast exclusively, no for USA, no solids, then put in 'exclusive breastfeeding' one time each day for that 500 calorie credit on your goal. If you are only breastfeeding part time (if baby takes formula sometimes or has started eating solids) then you need to choose a different breastfeeding option (like 'older baby' or something) that will add a smaller amount like around 300 calories for the day.
  • loisd82
    Options
    AH!!!!! Thank you so much for your reply!! i thought it was odd! I've added older baby and it's added on 300 cals a day, much more sensible, thank you :happy:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    You are very welcome. :-(
  • stephanieray74
    Options
    Hello, I'm Stephanie. I was curious about the calories counter that takes into account bf time. I've been doing this on my own using a calculator from another site. I struggle a lot and am happy there are other bf moms here. I've struggled with my weight my whole life but gained a ton of weight after my daughter was born. She was in a children's hospital for the 1st 2 months and the stress and unhealthy food choices killed me. Now I have no idea how much I should be eating. She's 8 months and eating solids twice daily. Any guidance would be very appreciated. :smile:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Hi Stephanie! I would recommend adding about 300 calories per day to your goal to account for breastfeeding part-time. Exclusive breastfeeding (no solids, no formula) takes about 500, so I think 300 is a pretty safe bet for you. You might even allow yourself an extra 50-100 on top of that every now and then if you feel baby is really feeding a lot that day (I know sometimes they will have fussy days of not feeling well, teething, or growth spurts where they nurse longer and/or more frequently). You can go into your food diary and click 'add food' then in the search box type in 'breastfeeding' - several options will come up from the search. If you choose the option that says 'mother of older baby' it will add 300 calories on top of your usual daily calorie goal. The only downside is you have to add this into your diary every day in order to get those calories added on. But after you add it a couple of times, it starts showing up in a 'most used' list so that you can find and add it more quickly.

As baby starts eating more solids and nursing less, there are other options in the list that add a smaller amount of calories - I see a couple that add 200 and 100 - so when you notice feedings decreasing, you might want to switch down to one of those lower calorie options. :-)
  • stephanieray74
    Options
    Thank you so much!