Let's talk....bloating

Options
teachfl2
teachfl2 Posts: 95 Member
Of all the IBS side effects, my worse has got to be the bloating. At times my stomach makes me look like I am 9 months pregnant. It sticks out very far, and hurts, as if someone is stabbing me over and over with a knife. I can't suck it in either, so I end up just walking around with a stuck out gut. It is so embarrasing and makes me not want to leave the house. My bloating has been the reason I have had the following tests: celiac, gallbladder, colonoscopy, endoscopy, food allergy, pelvic ultrasound. I do have food intolerances, which I am sure add to my problems, but I am noticing that around the 15th of the month the bloat starts. I usually get my period around the end of the month. I have two bloody cysts that my gyno thinks might be causing problems too. Overall bloat is my big thing.

So...what have I done about it? Well I try and keep regulated by using miralax, a digestive enzyme, gas-x, or tums. They don't always work. I try to stay away from gassy foods like dairy and lettuce, but sometimes I am fine after eating lettuce. If I could just pinpoint something or just have a doctor say "This is what is wrong with you!" life would be so much easier. But all I hear is "It's IBS...."

Let's hear some bloat stories! Please let me know that I am not the only one that can at times look 9 months pregnant when I'm not pregnant at all!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Abdominal massage usually, uh, works it out. Assuming it's just gas...
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I definitely looked like that after I got my gall bladder removed :( now I drink aloe vera juice everyday and avoid dairy and it helps a ton!
  • teachfl2
    Options
    I have been eating alot of dairy lately and I must say I don't think it is helping. I also have a sudden obsession with coffee and my co-worker only brews caffienated, so that doesn't really help any. Sometimes the coffee helps me go, other times it makes me feel worse. I bought aloe vera juice. It is so AWFUL!! I really cannot stand it- what do you drink yours in??
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    No - O God you are not alone. Bloating is my primary issue. I typically stay away from all things dairy and anything gassy. Nevertheless, the bloating remains. It has gotten better though the more I exercise and eat properly. I stopped coffee and only drink green tea, and I also drink apple cider vinegar everyday which helps some as well. I do hate those days when I look about ready to burst! I feel so fat and do not want to leave the house either. Yes its quite embarrasing and painful. You're not alone.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have been eating alot of dairy lately and I must say I don't think it is helping. I also have a sudden obsession with coffee and my co-worker only brews caffienated, so that doesn't really help any. Sometimes the coffee helps me go, other times it makes me feel worse. I bought aloe vera juice. It is so AWFUL!! I really cannot stand it- what do you drink yours in??

I just drink it straight. Its pretty horrible but after choking it down for so long I'm kind of used to it.
  • teachfl2
    Options
    I have been drinking mine with a swig of orange juice and it is not too bad. The bottle says 2 oz at a time, so not sure if that is enough to make a difference. My problem is that I start using a product and if I don't see results within a couple of days I give up on it. I do that with every pill, every drink, every diet, every exercise program...sigh...but I guess thats another topic for another day ;)
  • harleyshan1
    Options
    My bloating is sooo bad and I can gain 10lbs in 2 days w/it! I hate my IBS .. although they tell me I have colonic inertia and bad transit time. I hate it hate it! Wish I could get something to get it to stop. Plus I cannot seem to get the weight off. For instance I lost 7lbs in 6weeks calorie counting and over the christmas holiday I ate a little more and YUP I gained 10lbs in 2 days! Don't fit into ANYTHING.. Booooo
  • lindamac101
    Options
    I have bloating sometimes so bad that ihave 2 different sizes of clothes. i take activated charcoal tabs for gas, I thake them with every meal. To make matters worse i had to have my gallbladder out 2 years ago. i love this ight but for me with the constipation I gain 2 pounds then gain it right back. I will try not be discouraged, at least counting my calories is good for me. i had been eating to much and when you start adding up the calories, its like duh, no wonder I gained weight.
  • LaughingFirst
    Options
    Bloating and gas is absolutely horrible for me. I couldn't even eat much because I would bloat up extremely fast. I've started taking digestive enzymes and I have found that drinking hot tea after each meal helps a lot.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Mine comes in bouts, I'll be horribly bloated and constipated for a few weeks then have horrible loose BMs for a few weeks. It seems the healthier I eat, meaning more fruits and veggies, the worse the bloating and constipation and the more stressed I am the worse the BMs get.