HRM - what do you think?

Options
rgoodearl
rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
I found that I really depend on my HRM, it is a Polor PR200.

What are your thoughts about HRM's...do you use one and if so what kind.

I'm thinking about upgrading sometime in 2012.

Replies

• erm511
    erm511 Posts: 16
    Options
    I know nothing about them. I miss my bodybugg!
  • DaveR100
    DaveR100 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT60 for Christmas. I wore it to the gym and found that my calorie counts I have been using are very close to what the HR monitor gave me. The problem I had was when I hopped on the treadmill it read my heart rate on my machine (good) and the two OTHER treadmill on either side of me!!! Yikes It was bit embarrassing to see my HR displayed on the other treadmills. The gym just recently moved the cardio equipment around to make more room for the personal trainers. Not sure there is much that can be done about it.
    I wanted the FT60 because it comes with software that tracks your workouts and progress. I haven't tried that feature yet but will let you know what I think.
  • PhoenyxRysyng
    PhoenyxRysyng Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have both the Fitbit and a Garmin Forerunner. The Fitbit, while not exactly an HRM, does provide some excellent data on your daily calorie burn, plus adds the ability to track sleep efficiency. The Garmin, on the other hand, is so much more than just an HRM - if you're running or walking outdoors, you can track your route, mileage, and climb, thanks to its GPS function. It also works with a chest strap to provide full HRM capability. You can even use it for bicycling, with the addition of a cadence sensor that mounts onto your bike to track your pedaling efforts, and the footpod sensor allows you to use it even with a treadmill and still track mileage and speed (there is a calibration procedure that should be performed in order to ensure accuracy).

I find the two devices to be highly complementary and helpful.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I use mine for everything! It's pretty close to what my Nike+ tells me for running, but I would have no clue how to log Xbox Kinect or my weight lifting.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Mine's a Polar, the base model that tracks average HR and calories burned.