What you love about being GF

Options
AllisonMart
AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
It's easy to feel down around the holidays when you're GF - "I can't eat that, or that, or this, or that..." So I want to hear what you love about being GF. How has it made your life better? What are the benefits you've had? For me:

- I can't eat all the Christmas snacks in the office so I'm not stuffing my face with junk and gaining holiday weight.
- I feel a bazillion times better than I did before GF!
- My eyesight improved.
- Overall I am a happier person, and stress and annoyances don't bug me like they did.
- There are worse problems to have! At least this doesn't require drugs, therapy, or ongoing expensive medical treatment.
- I pay more attention to what I eat and I've learned a ton about diet and nutrition.
- I've met a great new community of people who are understanding and supportive because they live with the same thing.

How about you?

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    No weight gain from all those Christmas cookies!
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The worst symptoms of my "learning disability" have disappeared!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the - I can't eat all the Christmas snacks in the office.

But otherwise, I'm in wah-bulence funk about being GF. Have a open house to go to tomorrow where you are suppose to bring something to eat. But don't have time to make anything good and GF. So, I'll bring some wine, not drink any because I can't on an empty stomach. I've been GF for less than 6 months ~ still adjusting.
  • RmIIImc70
    RmIIImc70 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I admit I sort of love not being tempted by the office goodies at all! Yay! Other than that:

My stomach doesn't kill all the time.

Less fatigue

Less vertigo.

less foggy, groggy feeling.

Lost 20 lbs (due to less fatigue and lots of hard work)

Having New cooking and baking adventures. I am just learning to bake GF and am having fun!
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I agree with staying away from all the treats at this time of year!

I've noticed a big difference though. I did somewhat "indulge" in products that have gluten in them and I feel right back to the rotten self I felt before going GF. Lesson learned.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I admit I sort of love not being tempted by the office goodies at all! Yay! Other than that:

My stomach doesn't kill all the time.

Less fatigue

Less vertigo.

less foggy, groggy feeling.

Lost 20 lbs (due to less fatigue and lots of hard work)

Having New cooking and baking adventures. I am just learning to bake GF and am having fun!

Wow, you had vertigo symptoms too? I thought I was the only one getting this and NOT figuring out what it was coming from. I guess now I know!
  • AllisonMart
    Options
    Wow, you had vertigo symptoms too? I thought I was the only one getting this and NOT figuring out what it was coming from. I guess now I know!

I had a couple episodes of real severe vertigo but it was so rare I never connected it to gluten! Now that I think about it, it hasn't happened since going GF. There's yet another reason to love GF!
  • AllisonMart
    Options

I had a couple episodes of real severe vertigo but it was so rare I never connected it to gluten! Now that I think about it, it hasn't happened since going GF. There's yet another reason to love GF!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    - I don't feel like I'm dying constantly
    - My doc FINALLY believes me when I tell her I'm not pregnant, the months before I figured I was GF I'd go to the doc and she'd send me home saying I was pregnant, interesting, especially since I wasn't sexually active....
    - Food is not the temptation it once was
    - It's forced me to get creative in the kitchen, I'm CREATING recipes now
    - It's given me a business plan
    - It forced me to listen to my body.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the - I can't eat all the Christmas snacks in the office.

But otherwise, I'm in wah-bulence funk about being GF. Have a open house to go to tomorrow where you are suppose to bring something to eat. But don't have time to make anything good and GF. So, I'll bring some wine, not drink any because I can't on an empty stomach. I've been GF for less than 6 months ~ still adjusting.

I know this is a little late from your post, but I had a potluck I was short on time with and I made a fruit compote. Took about 30mins - most of which was the fruit cooking down so I could do hair/makeup - it was yummy and gf. :)

And as for the original thing, it's being able to sleep when my bf is home! If I'm not careful, the tummy aches keep me from sleeping so then in the morning I'm foul and his days off of work are boring because I feel tired and icky, or have a headache.

I really like how I also don't feel as constantly hungry when I'm gf. As if my body finally has a chance to absorb the nutrients in the food!
  • kochav5
    kochav5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have been GF for 2 months (and dairy free for 1 month) and I am loving it!

- No bloating
    - No gassy stomach
    - Much improved complexion
    - Almost no cravings for food
    - Far less headaches
    - More energetic
    - Have lost 4kg (another 4-5 kg to target weight)
    - Feel more attractive
    - No longer tempted at all by garbage "food"
    - Paying more attention to what I am eating
    - Eating tastier food every meal (rather than boring sandwich or pasta for example)
    - More interested in flavour and smell of foods

Unfortunately lack of audio concentration not been improved, I was hoping it was related!
    Also skin rash which I think is gluten related not gone but I have read this can take months to years.
  • psychc
    psychc Posts: 28
    Options
    I love the forced dieting in social places....can politely decline donuts, cakes, fried stuff, crisps, lollies, pizza etc!

On a more serious note...I love having energy again!
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I love not having any hospital bills!!!!
  • bowties_r_cool
    bowties_r_cool Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing about being GF...there are so many! Just to name a few:

+ No holiday weight gain (of course)
    + Lower anxiety
    + Losing weight naturally without really trying
    + Healthier Cravings
    + No brain fog
    + No stomach pains
    :smile:
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

Except that I'm not getting sick multiple times a day :)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Mrs Crimbles Gluten Free Double Choc chip brownies!!! :tongue: , taste better than regular ones!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I love not being so bloated that people would ask me when I was due. :(

I love being able to turn down baked goods by saying "I'd LOVE one of your cupcakes, but your cupcakes wouldn't love me." and then explaining the whole no-wheat thing.

I also love the fact that by eliminating wheat from my diet that I dropped 20 lbs almost immediately. Not sure how much of that was tied to eating less junk or what, but I'll take it. :)
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    All of the above.....
    Healthier
    Happier
    Slimmer (the first 17lb fell off me without me trying)
    Love the foods I eat
    Any extra pounds seem to come off reasonably easily
    No bloating
    No being sick for no apparent reason
    No vertigo (didn't know that was caused by the wheat!!)
    Love the foods I eat
    No eating junk food
    Doing my own cooking again
    Making others interested in what I'm eating (because it smells so good)
    Learning about nutrition and understanding the implications of food labels

Oh and did I mention..... I love the foods I eat :laugh: