Recipe Swap

Options
susanswan
susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
Hi, I'd love to swap recipes with everyone! If you have one that you'd like to post put it here and we can all browse through them. I came a cross a great one at a holiday party. It was so delicious, I thought it was full of sugar or honey!

Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples

For this recipe, I used one of the packages of pre-cut butternut squash
you get at Cosco. Otherwise, it's probably one squash cut up into bite
size pieces.

1 pkg pre-cut butternut squash (from costco)
4 Fuji apples, cut into bite size pieces
1 cup raisins (I used golden)
1 cup chopped pecans

Mix everything together and drizzle olive oil across the top. Bake in a
9x13 pyrex dish on 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes. (I'm not exactly sure
of the time, but I checked it every so often and pulled it when the squash
was soft.)

I also decided to let the steam cook the squash instead of adding more oil when it was drying out a bit so I covered the dish with foil and turned the oven off. It worked great! Next time I think I will cut back on the oil and think of letting the steam cook it more and add a bit of water to the pan to help it along.

Replies

• shannonewallace
    shannonewallace Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Nice thread!

I want to share this Naughty & Nice Vegan Enchilada Casserole recipe. It's part of the 12 Days of Healthy Dinner Recipes from the blog Oh She Glows! It's super easy and pretty healthy :)

She even suggests a few different ways to utilize the base mixture - it's SO GOOD.

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/12/13/naughty-nice-vegan-enchilada-casserole/

10s6k9z.jpg

I'm interested to see what sandwich recipes people have!
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Anyone have suggestions on how to cook tofu? Being a newbie, I'm clueless!?
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

My favorite brand is a Wildwood brand of sprouted tofu. I generally buy the firm or super firm. Don't get the silken unless you are going to be pureeing it into something - a dessert or soup or whatever.

How I prepare my tofu is this...drain off the water from the package. I slice the block into 1/2 to 3/4" slices. I cover a cutting board with a kitchen towel, then paper towels and lay my tofu slices flat, then cover with more paper towels and another kitchen towel and add a weight to the top - usually a big piece of heavy stoneware. Let it sit for 20 minutes. Then you can marinate or season and bake it or saute it on the stove. It will pick up the flavors in your marinade.

I have three of my favorite tofu recipes on my blog: http://vegancajun.blogspot.com/search/label/tofu.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! I love butternut squash!
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I made this one last night. It was SO good! And easy enough for me to make for myself while my kids had something else. It does have laughing cow cheese in it, so if you don't do cheese, I'm sure you could find a good substitute.

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burrito

Nutrition Info
    Calories: 319.0
    Fat: 5.5g
    Carbohydrates: 54.7g
    Protein: 15.0g

Ingredients:
    Half a large sweet potato
    1 cup black beans
    1 galic clove
    Half an onion
    2 wedges light laughing cow cheese
    1 tsp cumin
    hot pepper flakes
    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
    Bake sweet potato in skin at 400 degrees for one hour.
    Brown onion and galic in skillet until soft.
    Add black beans and spices and cook for 5 minutes.
    Mash together black beans and the laughing cow cheese until creamy
    Heat tortilla.
    Mash sweet potato on top of tortilla.
    Add the bean cheese mixture.
    Roll and Enjoy!

Number of Servings: 2
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options

My favorite brand is a Wildwood brand of sprouted tofu. I generally buy the firm or super firm. Don't get the silken unless you are going to be pureeing it into something - a dessert or soup or whatever.

How I prepare my tofu is this...drain off the water from the package. I slice the block into 1/2 to 3/4" slices. I cover a cutting board with a kitchen towel, then paper towels and lay my tofu slices flat, then cover with more paper towels and another kitchen towel and add a weight to the top - usually a big piece of heavy stoneware. Let it sit for 20 minutes. Then you can marinate or season and bake it or saute it on the stove. It will pick up the flavors in your marinade.

I have three of my favorite tofu recipes on my blog: http://vegancajun.blogspot.com/search/label/tofu.

Thank you SO much!!
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I will be making this tonight... it is sitting in the fridge ready to bake!!!

Ingredients:
    2 cups (uncooked) whole wheat Penne
    5 cups of pasta sauce (I made mine from scratch with lots of chunky mushrooms and onions!)
    1 - 15oz container of Part-skim Ricotta cheese
    1 tbs. fresh rosemary (or basil)
    2 tbs. garlic (minced)
    2 tbs. grated parmesan cheese (for cheese filling)
    1 cup frozen, chopped spinach (or 1 cup cooked spinach)
    3 cups of roasted vegetables (earlier this week I had roasted: broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, red onion and butternut squash and this was left over)
    1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

1. Cook penne pasta to al dente, drain and place in large casserole dish. (while other ingredients are prepared)
    2. Mix 2.5 cups of sauce, ricotta cheese, rosemary, garlic and grated parmesan cheese in a medium bowl
    3. Add spinach and roasted vegetables to dish and then top with sauce and cheese mixture. Stir gently until all are combined and press into dish to make flat surface.
    4. Cover with remaining 2.5 cups of sauce and spread over top.
    5. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheese
    6. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, remove cover and bake an additional 20 minutes

*Sauce and vegetables can be store bought frozen or homemade.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    As far as cooking tofu goes, I found that I MUCH prefer it after it's been frozen for a day or two, then thawed. Freezing definitely changes the texture and makes it a bit denser and chewier.

I'm a fan of anything pumpkin, so here's my recipe:

Pumpkin casserole
    Ingredients
    • 2 cups pumpkin puree
    • 1 cup evaporated milk
    • 1 cup white sugar
    • 1/2 cup self-rising flour*
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 2 pinches ground cinnamon

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. Combine the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla, melted butter and ground cinnamon to taste. Spoon into a casserole dish.
    3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.
    Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 188 | Total Fat: 9.4g
  • dtucker4403
    dtucker4403 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Thank you SO much!!

Thanks. I have never been able to make tofu. I will give this a try. I am always looking for new recipes.
  • dtucker4403
    dtucker4403 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I just checked out your blog. I can't wait to try all of your recipes. They sound great. What a cool blog. Thanks for sharing !!!! I have bookmarked you.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    http://chefchloe.com/entrees/pad-thai-noodles.html

I made this tonight. It was SO good. I subbed fettuccine noodles because I couldn't locate brown rice noodles in my area.

I did the "recipe" tool and it looks to be 330 calories per cup.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Made this the other day and can't get enough! I put it over steamed veggies! So good! = D

Red Lentil Dahl Recipe
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    2 teaspoons mustard seeds
    1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
    1 teaspoon coriander seeds
    7 whole cloves
    5 cardamom pods
    1 teaspoon red chili flakes
    ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
    3 tablespoons peanut oil
    1 brown onion, diced
    1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon fine sea salt
    1 ¼ cup red lentils
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    4 cups vegetable stock
    5 roma tomatoes, chopped (or 1 can chopped tomatoes)
    Juice of 1 lime
    1 cup chopped coriander (cilantro)
    Toast the seeds (not the chili or cinnamon) in a large skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet, cool, and then crush into a fine powder with the chili and cinnamon.
    Heat the oil in the same large skillet over medium heat, sauté the onions for 3-4 min or until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and sauté another 3-4 minutes. Add spices and salt and sauté 3-4 minutes more.
    Add vegetable stock, and then stir in the tomato paste and lentils. Bring to the boil and then lower heat and simmer for 20 min.
    Add tomatoes, lime juice, coriander, and some water if it looks too thick. Simmer 10 minutes more or until lentils are tender.
    Serves 4-6.
  • southernyogini
    southernyogini Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Here is a great link on how to cook tofu http://melissaraydavis.hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Cook_Tofu_Like_the_Pros
    I like my tofu firm and crispy (not mushy unless I am using it as a cheese substitute)
    I have several recipes I've added to myfitnesspal.
    Here is one I love: Chipotle Chickpeas & Cilantro Chutney from Vegan for $3.33: http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2011/10/chickpea-tostadas.html

I added it to my recipe database and this recipe is under 500 calories before you add in a tostada. LOVE IT!
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Yum some of these recipes look great.

I tend to make a big pot of something and portion it up in the fridge for the week as it's usually only me eating it!

This is one of my favorites at the moment. I find it makes 5 generous portions at 177 cals per portion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/vegetarianchilli_6544
  • espyrale
    espyrale Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    All of these vegetarian burger recipes are delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/vegetarian/veggie-burger-recipes-00412000067566/page14.html

This one is my favorite: and i also threw in some feta cheese, lentils and black beans in too with some flax oil:) yum!
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/open-faced-falafel-burgers-10000001215899/
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Made this the other night and it was SO GOOD: Soba Noodles with Swiss Chard–Miso Pesto (http://www.chow.com/recipes/30270-soba-noodles-with-swiss-chardmiso-pesto)
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options

My favorite way to have tofu is baked and my favorite recipe is from the Moosewood cookbook, but I found it online here: http://www.food.com/recipe/lemony-baked-tofu-366037. It's baked in a lemon and cilantro marinade... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!
  • bridgetn85
    bridgetn85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bumping for later