Work Outs, morning or evening?

Options
So I was wondering if anyone has worked out both in the morning and in the evening and thought one or the other was better? Since I started working out ive only worked out in the evening, after work and all three meals have been eaten. When do you like to work out?

Replies

• chasfburk
    Options
    I workout all over the place - sometimes in the morning, sometimes at lunch, and sometimes in the evening. I prefer to workout in the morning, because I have so much more energy throughout the day. But.... I am not a morning person, so getting to the gym at 6 am HURTS! I least prefer to workout in the evening, because I find it hard to go to bed after the fact...
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I've done both and really, for me, it's more a factor of my work schedule. Some of my workouts include an ab component that I don't have enough time to do before I leave, so that has to wait until I get home late at night. As far as one being better than the other, the only thing I've noticed is that sometimes I can't sleep right away after a workout. Long, hot showers help with that, though. I'd say the most important factor is just trying to find a schedule that you can do most consistently.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I can't workout in the evening as well as I can in the morning. I have much more motivation on an empty stomach than after a day's work and/or feeding.

If I don't get up early and go swimming or cycling then I'm highly unlikely to want to go later. And on the odd occasion I have gone to the gym in the evening it screws up my body clock and gets me hyper when I ought to be winding down for the day.

But that's what works for me and everybody's different.

I'm not sure there's been any scientific empirical studies done on whether one burns more calories in the am, noon or pm, but as exercise is the gift that keeps on giving, I doubt there's going to be any significant advantage based on time, rather than the type of exercise undertaken.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I like to get at least part of my workout done first thing in the morning, though I have noticed that working out before I've eaten breakfast means I don't have as much endurance as I'd like. Now I seem to have settled into a routine of circuit training first thing after waking up, and then a longer cardio session after work.
  • david581c
    Options
    Interestig to see everyones take on this.

Ive had mornings and nights, and days where i went in the morning then the night as well.

For me, Mornings i need a workout pal or else its ultra hard.

Evenings, worked all day so im ready to go and pumped day dreaming all day about it.

After all's considered, i def. dig evenings more.
  • babbassi
    babbassi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would like to be able to go in the morning, but the gym location makes it tough. I mostly go in the evening to the NYSC a few blocks from the office. It's always a struggle when at the end of the day all you want to do is go home an relax.

I can't ride the subway all the way to work before a shower, and showering just to go to the gym and shower again is a pain!

The one by my house is about a 20 minute walk, so I usually end up going on the weekend. I used to go at lunch sometimes, but I can't manage a workout, change, shower during a 1hr lunch break.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I can't workout in the evening as well as I can in the morning. I have much more motivation on an empty stomach than after a day's work and/or feeding.

If I don't get up early and go swimming or cycling then I'm highly unlikely to want to go later. And on the odd occasion I have gone to the gym in the evening it screws up my body clock and gets me hyper when I ought to be winding down for the day.

But that's what works for me and everybody's different.

I'm not sure there's been any scientific empirical studies done on whether one burns more calories in the am, noon or pm, but as exercise is the gift that keeps on giving, I doubt there's going to be any significant advantage based on time, rather than the type of exercise undertaken.

this is me too. i drag my butt outta bed at o'dark thirty b/c working out after work... i just can't get the same move going. i'm TIRED at the end of the day. i want to sit back, have dinner, unwind, read and go to bed. in the mornings, the energy is still there. and then i have more energy through the day.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Usually its morning for me.....ive started a new routine this week (but Im training for a race)

M W F Sun I run 5 to 7 mi at night

Every morning I get up at 4 run at least a 5K then come back and do P90x I am trying my hardest to stick with this But is super hard but hey gotta kick *kitten* to get that body I want right?
  • MelodyRuffin
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I am still doing evening work outs as that works best for me. On the weekends I usually do mid day. I had one day where I worked out in the morning and found that it was harder to get motivated. I guess its easier for me to continue to go after work as I have already been awake for hours. Again thank you all.
  • Mahu77
    Mahu77 Posts: 34
    Options
    I prefer the mornings because I feel more awake, but my work and school schedule is going to force me into going in the evenings.