Meal Plan

Options
Does anyone else have trouble with dealing with meal plan and cafeteria food? I feel like it is my biggest struggle in college because you may not alway like what they have to offer or you may eat too much of the wrong stuff. Anyone have good ways of managing diets with the schools meal plans?

Replies

• kjjfisher
    kjjfisher Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh its terrible for me too! The dining area for the college I attend is a large open buffet style environment that offers stations for pizza and pasta, deli sandwiches and salads, american fare, home cooked meal items, chinese and an ethnic buffet too featuring foods from different cultures... Plus a starbucks like coffee bar and dessert bar with all you can eat goodies! The temptation to stay and gorge is very hard! I try to make a plan on what I want before I swipe myself into this food haven and leave ASAP!
    Kate
  • SarahElizabeth416
    SarahElizabeth416 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The pizza at my school is so delicious, it's incredibly hard not to get a slice. So whenever I want pizza, I take one piece, and then have a salad and a glass of water with my meal. That way I can have my delicious carbs without going overboard. And the thing to remember is that everything is ok in moderation. I just try to eat a variety of foods and limit myself to one or two pieces of pizza a week.
  • dreamingxpoet
    Options
    Yes, it all seems to be good in moderation. I tend to over eat one day and starve myself the other if the food is not good, which leads to my other problem of getting fastfood to help me. I don't know my brain typically goes into survival mode there like I have to make up for the nasty food one meal or I have to eat more because I may not like the next meal. Ours is also buffet style, I always tend to try and stay with the "homestyle" because it typically has a protien, veggies, and some type of potatos or pasta, but chili cheese fries, good soup, and yummy desserts always distract me from that section and I get more than I really should..
  • lasteadman
    Options
    I know at my school, when I lived on campus, I actually ate better than I do now in my apartment. There is an elementary school on our campus and they eat from the same cafeteria so things tended to be healthier and you really had to wait in line for fried foods. I wish I still had my meal plan. I have since moved in with my boyfriend and we do a lot of shopping together, but he'll come home with things like pizza and donuts and I want to kill him for it!
  • danicool9590
    danicool9590 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am dreading going back to school. my biggest fear is what is going to happen when I am back on my meal plan I am doing so well right now and with the meal plan situation it makes it so hard!
  • Kristena2009
    Kristena2009 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've found that I have trouble with a meal plan. What helped for me is to have a friend who is also in a similar situation and trying to eat healthy that eats regular meals with you. I ate at the same time as a few girls so we all made a pact to keep each other accountable. That way when I'm in line and picking out portions I know I have to face my friends and justify why I grabbed a brownie :) Its also motivation to get good food to help your friends with their diets as well.