Wheat Belly

Options
mlb929
mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
I'm reading the book Wheat Belly. It's very informative for understanding why wheat/gluten in our diets is not a healthy source. It's written by a cardiologist who seems to be very straight forward in his delivery of information. There is a lot of indepth information as to the history and sources of wheat, but that's easily read through and I found it somewhat interesting.

It's a good read - I downloaded it as a free ebook - more than worth the price to have paid for it.

Replies

• shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    where did you download it from for free?
  • DancingAppy
    DancingAppy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    One of my monthly health goals is to read this book. I would love to download it, but otherwise I'll be hiking down to my local library and picking it up.
  • JackLeaMason
    JackLeaMason Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I read this book and this is why I am trying the wheat free program. I found the discussion regarding the evolution of the current mass produced commercial wheat to be very interesting. It turns out that wheat species has "evlolved?" faster than the humans that eat it. The suspicion that wheat can be the cause of metabolic and autoimmune inflammatory disease makes perfect sense.

A good follow-up read is "Folk's This Aint Normal" by Joel Salatin. This book supports some of the topics in Wheat Belly but from a different unintentional angle. ALL GLUTEN FREE DIETERS SHOULD READ THIS BOOK. At least is would support your efforts to do so and you will know what Einkorn wheat is.
  • ttwsweet
    Options
    Loved, loved, loved this book! I'm allergic to wheat (but not necessarily gluten) and it really helped me understand why, how, and the way in which my body reacts. It's interesting enough for the budding science nerd in me, but dumbed down enough for the general population to understand.
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    My family is gluten free...I need to check this book out. My husband is severely intolerant to gluten and has a pooch from his beloved beer (i think he has finally learned that he CAN'T be gluten free and still drink beer with gluten). Right now I have pinto bean belly...when am i going to learn that my body can't digest beans? They are just so tasty!
  • svenskispiration
    Options
    I'm just starting the book :) It looks promising!! I originally wanted to go grain free but that is a little too restrictive, so will see if this works first! I'm in a country that eats tons of bread (Norway) so it will be an interesting journey! I will try for 30 days, at least, and see what happens.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    bump
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I saw something on youtube about this book and was thinking about picking it up. Sounds like I might need to get it now :)!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I'm grain free if you need any help.
    I'm just starting the book :) It looks promising!! I originally wanted to go grain free but that is a little too restrictive, so will see if this works first! I'm in a country that eats tons of bread (Norway) so it will be an interesting journey! I will try for 30 days, at least, and see what happens.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I went wheat free last year to kick start my diet and it worked great, dropped loads initially but after this last xmas I was only down to losing a few pounds a month.

I have periods I go strict, no grains at all just fruit, veg lean white meat or fish sometimes quorn in place of meat or fish. I could stick to it when I only have cravings once a month but recently I have been having 2 monthly cycles in one month so spending most of the month in PMT week with cravings and bloat!

I use gluten free bread and wheat free cereals when I have to give in to my cravings and things like gluten free choc brownies so I'm trying to stick to my diet despite the strong cravings! I'm trying serotinin capsules at the minute as I heard that carb cravings were a result of not enough serotonin which is produced by converting carbs. I figured if I was taking capsules so serotonin levels were higher then it wouldn't make my body crave carbs so much and be easier to stick to stricter diet!!!

I'll let you know if I get through as much choc and carbs the next PMT week! :explode: :sad: :laugh:
  • shanfree
    Options
    My husband and I read Wheat Belly this summer. As a result we have been gluten free for 13 days now. It's been surprisingly easy... but I'm a teacher and about to go back to work on Tuesday where the staffroom is sure to have a constant stock of that white stuff. So we shall see how I do then!

So far I've started to notice I have a little more energy and feel great mentally.

Good to be here with all of you!
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    My husband is severely intolerant to gluten and has a pooch from his beloved beer (i think he has finally learned that he CAN'T be gluten free and still drink beer with gluten).

Actually, you're wrong about that. Grin. They now make Gluten Free Beer. There are a lot of manufacturers out there. Here's a link that talks about the good and the bad. Anheuser-Busch even makes one called Redbridge. I found it at our local Publix when I went to make a recipe that needed beer. My sister actually stole a few from the pack. I guess she ended up liking it and she's not a gluten free person. It did a good job of replacing the regular beer in my recipe.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2012/03/the-best-and-worst-gluten-free-beers.html
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    but I'm a teacher and about to go back to work on Tuesday where the staffroom is sure to have a constant stock of that white stuff. So we shall see how I do then!

I had that same experience, I've been packing snacks that I like and it's kept me happy. In particular, stuff yourself on training days before you come to work and bring something tasty that you can eat so you don't feel like the odd duck. You might even draw some envious glances if your food looks tasty enough.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Since there didn't seem to be a grain-free group on MFP (plenty of gluten-free or paleo, but those won't necessarily suit those who are grain free) I have created one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8298-grain-free

Come on over and share your tips and favourite grain-free recipes.