What's new on your farm?

Options
MsSaturday
MsSaturday Posts: 89 Member
We just welcomed our first batch of bunnies yesterday :)
also pulled up the old garden (lost all our pretty thriving plants during a little freeze) getting ready to clean up the area and plant some broccoli :D

Replies

• Emme727
    Emme727 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't know that we ave anything new, as of late.... Although, we are taking the girls (goats) to be bred soon. The alpacas joined us about a month ago. We are boarding them and in return, I've been learning to spin wool. In the spring, we will have tons of alpaca wool and I get to keep half!

It's too cold here to do anything more than drool over seed catalogs.
  • MsSaturday
    Options
    I hope the goats take!!
    Hows the wools spinning going?

I haven't been on here in awhile, we had a devastating weekend on the hill. I upgraded my light in my outside brooder and moved all 12 of my baby chicks out there, and unfortunately the light was too powerful and i'm guessing that the light caught the newspaper floor liner on fire which in return burnt down the whole brooder and killed all my chicks. All while I was sleeping. Having a hard time getting over this accident.
    Not sure I'll be adding to the flock again.

Also having to feed one kit from the first rabbits litter, and the second litter looks like I might have to feed 4 or 5 of them if the mom doesn't tomorrow.

Farm work is hard on a single gal. Oh and my only child (my #1 helper) is down with a broken toe. I am spent. LOL.
  • lyknscribe
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your chicks! <hugs>

I would love to learn to spin wool! I have recently started crocheting and made a scarf and a little purse for my cousin.

I'll be attempting my first sizeable garden this year and will be doing it alone - so I'm all ears for suggestions.

I hope the goats take, little kids are the cutest! ... with the exception of a long legged foal in spring - What can I say? I'm a horse girl <3
  • MsSaturday
    Options
    aw, thanks, i'm starting to bounce back from my loss. we built on a whole wing for my daughters show rabbits yesterday and built a chute for some goats that i'm still shopping for. Its all truly a learning experience, its just that some lessons hurt more than others. So i feel a little refreshed. we also took down what was left of the brooder so the constant visual reminder is gone.

you will love having a nice big garden, I swear things taste better when you grow them, lol i had planted some broccoli and its still alive but not doing much, i have big hopes for it though. lol

LOL, i hear ya, I would have a horse over a goat any day if i had the room and the knowledge, I have just enough room for a mini horse, but my daughter has taken horse riding lessons (english style) and i'd be afraid if i got one she'd try and ride it! LOL

and goats grow on you they have such comical personalities. Hope your neighbors don't cause a fuss over your hens, do you have to get a permit where you live? even my hens are noisy when they lay an egg, lol
  • lyknscribe
    Options
    There is a rediculus amount of rules and regulations here to have hens...I don't mean simple things like number of birds, and size of coop. It extends to 'if you are on septic you must call this number and havoe someone from eviormental services come and verify the cook is at minimium of 300 yards from the tank' and'25 feet from each property line' etc etc etc. and a fee of 51.51 to do it legally.

So...I think I'm going to do it anyway >.> I just don't understand the goverments need to nip-pick, I don't live in a subdivision by any means I am off the road by 100 yards and sitting on 1 acer of land with 2 other houses on either side of our gravel road.

If my neighbors don't object, I don't see the harm.

My coop will be a stable efficent coop and my birds won't be free range - so yeah... oh look I'm on a soap box...let me just hop off of that.

This is what happens when a country girl moves off of 8 acers and a log house to live in a modular home on 1 acer with a indoorsman husband. :-)

As I was typing my neighbor called and said she was ok with it YAY! 1 down 1 to go!

----

haha! I'm sure she would try to ride him but thoes mini's are tough! My nieghbor just had a surprise yesterday. One of her mini's foaled - and she didn't even know she was preggo. The stud got out once a while back but they found him in the yard so they hadn't realized he had gotten in with the mares...He was a beautiful little colt though, black and white and blue eyes! Naturally she named him surprise!

---

I had 2 AQHA, one was a buckskin - named buckshot (clever huh?) , and one was a sorral named starfire. I have a paint named cassidy, and my one true love the mare I learned to ride (western) on, an apaloosa mare named Misty.
  • MsSaturday
    Options
    its really pretty ridiculous in between state ordinance and laws that are being passed, its almost as if the government doesn't want any one to be able to farm or live off the land.

I know I sure don't see the harm in my neighbors having animals and living how they want and i'm happy they feel the same way, I pass out farm eggs occasionally to thank every one lol

Sounds like its all working out! hope your start up keeps going smoothly!!

LOL, those rascally males have a way with getting out and taking care of business when no ones looking eh? LOL