Spices (Food Labeling)

Options
Is there anyone else that is highly allergic to cinnamon other than my son and I?

I ate something yesterday that only has "spices" listed on the label. Apparently, there was cinnamon-as I woke up with a migraine this morning. You think I'd learn not to eat anything I suspect has cinnamon.

Replies

• ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon is grated tree bark, and I'm allergic to many kinds of trees. I ate something with cinnamon in it and got the "itchies". I have multiple food allergies/sensitivities, and you've just got to read labels on EVERYTHING.

Mostly I cook from scratch. Turns out better than the store bought and I can control what's in it.
  • slroberts55
    slroberts55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Did a little research yesterday, and cinnamon is not required to be listed on labels. It can be listed as "spices." No more eating anything that lists "spices" for me.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I believe cinnamon is one of the most common "spices" so yes, you have to be careful. Again, see if you can make things from scratch. Do an experiment with allspice and cloves to see if you can find an alternative.
  • slroberts55
    slroberts55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do mostly cook from scratch. Did fine with a pumpkin pie with ginger, allspice, and cloves (and wheatless crust). No one could tell there wasn't cinnamon.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Did a little research yesterday, and cinnamon is not required to be listed on labels. It can be listed as "spices." No more eating anything that lists "spices" for me.

The FDA allows many loop holes.