Paleo Challenge

Options
We usually do one in our box every now and again - and I know MaggieMay said about doing one starting Jan 1st. I'd def look to the CrossFitter and others for some guidance in making the switch.

Would we be interested in creating one with our group? Does any one have experience with doing challenges on here, cause I don't.

Replies

• MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thanks for posting this. I'm definitely in (obviously...) but don't have 'experience' starting a challenge on here... but I think you just did!

I am going Jan 1-30, 1 variety meal per week with 1-2 glasses of wine per week. I just can't not do the variety meal... I've dnoe the paleo challenges before and I fall off too quickly if I go cold turkey!
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Looks like it's just us! ha
  • fitTP32
    fitTP32 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would love to do this. Joined Crossfit this month and I am now on my 21st day. I went cold turkey and i am loving it. The first week was awful. I miss my vitatop muffins and everything that i thought i couldn't live without. this week i noticed that i am sleeping better and have more energy all around. I may do this for another 30 days so i am def in.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Great! I hope you can share some wisdom ... Other then the straight veggies/fruit/meat I still struggle. I'm in Hawaii from 1/8-1/15 so that may be a rough patch for me. I'm trying to start ahead of time to be able to go strong
  • jessylanne
    jessylanne Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would definitely join you if there is a challenge. I'm in on my own anyway but support is always great to give and receive!
  • fitTP32
    Options
    check out this site http://whole9life.com/2011/10/whole-30-v5/. They pretty much have a manual on doing paleo for 30. Do not buy teh $39 manual. Everything you need to know is on the website.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    How did you deal with cravings? Fighting them off, so to speak.

I'm going incorporate a cheat meal once a week to help with my sanity.

I'm actually starting, well now, since I'll be on vacation I want to get a head start, especially if I come up short the week I'm gone.
  • jenhowse1
    Options
    I'm up for this. Been trying over the last few weeks, but had a few slips before Christmas. Will start afresh in January.
  • fitTP32
    Options
    The cravings were hard the first week but it gets better. So if i feel like i am about to mess up i have a meal with protein,healthy fat and lots of water. Before i started I saw on thewhole9.com that eating this wasn't hard; "beating cancer is hard, quitting heroine is hard." Reading that statement gave me great perspective to deal with my cravings.

I also logged observations each day. The first two days i noticed that my sleep improved, second week i notice the pain in my knee was gone.
  • Sbiscotti
    Sbiscotti Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm in for modified paleo. I've done the paleo challenges before going strict paleo and I know that it doesn't give me what I need for training 2x/day + coaching + work. But going w/o some of my processed carbs such as whole wheat tortillas and pasta will be good for me. My only real modifications will be allowing sweet potatoes, greek yogurt/cottage cheese, and legumes in the form of green beans and edamame.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    http://whole9life.com/2010/04/crazytown2/

thought this was interesting
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested. My box has one going, but I didn't get in in time. Filled up fast! So how would it work?
  • snkeller24
    Options
    CrossFit Oahu has stared one - and they have a downloadable guideline for their challenge ... I have no idea other just eat paleo for 30 days ... on theirs they have some type of penalty system, with points or something (haven't read the whole thing yet)

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B7hyGo5eZSvXNDkyY2QzNmMtNDc2Yi00MjNhLTgzZmMtMjY1MjNlMDMxZmU2&hl=en_US&pli=1
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I couldn't get that link to work.

Well, I started the Whole30 yesterday. Don't know if anybody is interested in doing that..... Hardest part for me is no honey in my coffee.... Never in a million years thought I'd give THAT up.

I'm looking forward to completely kicking my sugar addiction. It's had a strangle hold on me for years. Even eating paleo for 6 months now, I was constantly thinking about that 5% of the time I would allow myself something sweet. I know in the grand scheme of eating habits in our country that's not bad, but I knew I wasn't the one in control. If that makes sense....
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Hmm - well if you go to their website - into events, on the calendar theres an entry on the 8th that says Paleo Challenge.

There are def things I probably won't give up - other then gum - but everything else will sort of be treated as a treat and one a day or every other day.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    http://whole9life.com/2010/04/crazytown2/

thought this was interesting

good article. Gateway Vegetable made me LOL
  • Sbiscotti
    Sbiscotti Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just got done designing the February Paleo challenge for CrossFit Music City, and I must say I'm pretty happy with it given that I spent hours reading like 20 different versions of Paleo Challenges for ideas.

We're doing a level based Paleo Challenge to get people to really aim for a level that will be challenging but something that after the challenge we hope they'll stick with. So like Level 1 is cut out refined/processed sugar. Level 2 - cut out grains. and so forth until Level 8 is strict paleo (no sweet potatoes or anything!!). Looking forward to executing the challenge and seeing people's improvement in body fat % and performance on our benchmark workout.