How long is your Christmas break?

Options
We are officially off from Dec 23-Jan 3. I was going to take off the 22nd, too, but our homeschool group switched the group gym class to the 22nd, so we did that and then went with another family to go Christmas caroling at a nearby assisted living home. The seniors absolutely loved having the kids (and moms) go sing to them and visit with them awhile, and the kids really enjoyed it, too.

We've made some cheeseballs, cookies and bath salts to give as gifts, but mostly we have played games, read, done artwork with her new art supplies, and ....... we have been sleeping in most days! I struggle with insomnia, but once I finally get to sleep, which has been about 6am a lot recently, I can sleep fine until I have to get up. That means usually I do good to get a solid 2 hours of sleep. This week I'm running on 4 or more hours, and I feel better. I'm thinking that tonight I am going to push myself to just stay up and not go to bed until 10pm tomorrow, and see if that will reset my clock and put me on a normal schedule. Maybe I'll be tired enough to conk out at 10 and then get up like a normal person on Sunday.

Maybe while I'm up all night tonight, I'll get next week's school work together. For some reason I have not even looked at that! Yikes!

How are you all doing? When do you pack away the Christmas tree and take down all the decorations? I think that will be Sunday or Monday, here.

Merry Christmas to you all, and Happy New Year!

Replies

• amybell68
    amybell68 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    We were originally going to take the week before Christmas and the week after, but I found out that her cousin was going to have the week after Christmas and the week after New Years off so we ended up taking 3 weeks off!! It works out nice for us, we have not taken any day's off since school started and we are ahead of schedule so I thought why not let her have an extra week!! (and me too!!) its been very nice and relaxing!!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    That would be nice! Are her cousins also home schooling? Do they live nearby? Family comraderie and support would be so cool!
  • jennifero469
    jennifero469 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Our Christmas break was way longer than I planned. We planned on painting the living room the week of Thanksgiving so we took a break. Unfortunately, that break is still going on. We added trim, painted, and decorated the living room and then started on the fence because the weather was so great (60's-70's during the day). We are starting back to school on Monday and I am dreading the transition back to our routine. I know it will be wonderful once we are back in the groove, but starting is always so hard.
  • amybell68
    amybell68 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    That would be nice! Are her cousins also home schooling? Do they live nearby? Family comraderie and support would be so cool!

no they are in public school, but are on Christmas break this week still! But I do have allot of support from friends and family! It is very important!!
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    We took the week after Christmas off. Today is our first day back, and we are having a few little issues getting back into the swing of things. (That's one reason I sort of dread time off)

Our decorations are down, but not put away. The tree is still standing in all of its bare glory. I hope to get it moved into the garage sometime today.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about it being hard to restart! I think starting after Christmas is harder than starting in the fall.

In WI we have to count hours, so I can't take an extended break or I'll end up working well into June. Otherwise I can totally see myself taking off for Thanksgiving and going back after New Years Day, especially if the weather was that beautiful! That is amazing weather! I'm glad you could take advantage of it! Just think of all the children learned on that break.....how weather influences something like paint *is* a very good jumping off point for some science! And even observing the skillful work being done, even if they are not old enough to participate, is good for them. I sometimes think there is more learning going on in summer than during the school year, we do so many interesting things together!
  • MrsJones98
    Options
    We took a trip to Montana this Christmas and my mom came down from AR after we got back, so we have been off since 12/21 and are starting back today. Didn't really plan it, but DH will be working lovely 60+ hour work weeks starting today, so we wanted to enjoy our time with him before we hardly see him for a while. We have enjoyed the time off, but I'm hoping getting back into a routine will go well with a shortened week. We're usually fine the first week back - it's the second one I dread!

Having said that, we always seem to readjust and change things up after a break, so we all look forward to that :) This semester, I am looking to add back in more science (which we love!) and possibly some American history along with our world history. This is also the time when we start focusing on finishing things - like our Singapore workbooks. Having those end goals in sight seems to motivate the kids a bit more :)