What are your goals for the New year?

Options
momof8munchkins
momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
What changes do want to make in diet/ exercise/life style/ sleep/supplements..etc?

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly tweaking my supplement regimen depending on my needs at the time, it's never the same from the beginning of the year to the end, so that will continue.

Sleep is a constant battle for me, I'd like to say I've done better in the last few months but that would be a lie. This is an area that needs definite improvement.

I was pretty pleased with the progress and commitment I made to my bootcamp regimen this last year. But it has only brought me so far in my body comp goals and my finances are about to change and it would be better to drop that monthly expense. So, I'm dusting off my weight equipment in the garage and am preparing to begin NROL4W next week. I will miss the group environment of bootcamp but it's time to get back to heavier lifting. This will affect lifestyle in that I really feel I should find something to take its place to get me out of the house at least once a week outside of work. Haven't found an activity to fill the hole yet though.
  • andrea_gillam
    andrea_gillam Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Julie, I feel you. My finances changed drastically over the past 6 months. As a present to me I am paying for 6 months at least for bootcamp when I get my income tax. I really miss the environment and the way everyone pushes me. I am starting a running regime today so we will see how it goes. Sleep has always been an issue for me. How are you doing with that?
  • jamk1446
    Options
    That will be a good gift to yourself! I'd missed you the last few months.

My sleep quality is pretty good, I just don't get enough of it. I live with a bunch of night owls and tend to be one myself but I would like to change that. But it's hard to turn in early when my husband wants to watch tv late into the night, I have a hard time falling asleep with it on. He feels like he can't fall asleep with it off and I either get sucked into whatever he's watching or end up reading and the next thing I know, I'm going to bed an hour and a half later than I should.

momof8- you had mentioned you were thinking about rethinking your diet. Have you decided on anything? What are your goals?
  • momof8munchkins
    Options
    I have spent the past few days looking into different diet plans.. Dukan, Harcombe, eating clean, Atkins etc. I feel kinda lost and not sure which way to turn. With all of my food intolerences I have very little choice but to eat Paleo/primal , however I am not losing . I definitely need to tweak what I am doing.. as far when I eat and how much of what. My natural bent is skip breakfast but it slows my metabolism. Eating breakfast is something I have to push myself to do.I suspect that I am not eating enough veggies on a daily basis and probably not enough fat but too much of more processed meats like bacon, sausage and ham. I also need to exercise more. Sleep is a big thing for me too. I started taking 500 mg of Cal/ Mag at night before bed it makes me sleepy along with a cup of chammomile tea that calms me down. it works fairly well except I tend to wake up around 4 am and can't get back to sleep for a few hours.. that is not a problem if I can sleep later in the morning to make up for those missing hours.. with 7 kids at home that is not always possible - there lies my problem- not enough sleep.:ohwell: Supplement wise I am going to start taking flax seed and borage oil for my omega 3's (since I can't take fish oil) and to balance out my hormones.Along with continuing raw pastured cream and butter that has high amounts of CLA instead of coconut milk and oil .. I know most people do extremely well on coconut and lose but I think it is hindering me.. I think I may try HCL to improve digestion - a big issue for me.
  • momof8munchkins
    Options
    Though I have been trying to stay on the straight and narrow Paleo road for months- and not doing so well or I think I would have lost more weight by now. . I have just in the last 2 months crossed over to Primal by adding a little raw dairy back into my life. I have never read the specific details of what it means to be primal and need to. I am leaning towards the Primal Blue print it seems to be more practical over the long haul than any thing else I've looked into.. other plans may work short term but don't seem like they can be done as a life style..once one goes off plan the weight comes back. I've done that too many times. I not interested in going that route again. I want to get to my goal and stay there for life, instead of the yo-yo cycle I did in the past.
  • jamk1446
    Options
    I haven't looked into those other plans or really read the Primal Blueprint book, I've just checked into his website extensively and I signed up for the free ebooks. His plan is pretty much what I had figured out on my own worked for me. I really like his stuff, easy to follow along and I have found to be practical to implement.
  • momof8munchkins
    Options
    In my search for what plan I should do I stumbled upon the GAPS diet that is doen over a period of several months to 2-3 years to aid in healing the gut lining and digestion and other autoimmune diseases such as leaky gut syndrome, celiac disease, food intolerences and allergies - all of which I have.. I know it will not heal celiacs- as far gluten is concerned but my digestion is really poor.. I've done what I could to heal and thigns have gotten better but it's not been enough.. gaps in some ways seems extreme with all the bone broth and lacto-fermented foods but not interms of my own recent experience with bone broths, kombucha.. it is almost like a natural progression from where I started. I need to do some more reading and learn how to make homemade sauerkraut :tongue: we tried once and it molded ..:blushing: and I'm not looking forward to the die-off as they call it- the flu like symptoms that come as the body begins to detox..:grumble: BUT..I don't want to stay in the shape I am either. wish me luck.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My goal is basically to try and maintain..and lose the last 2% body fat..which should be fairly easy as long as I eat Primal. I just want to see if I can maintain..cause I am loving the new me....

As far as changes...I think just doing what I have been doing for the last 7 months...I should be good. Not stress out when I dont eat Primal...and to work out for 1/2 day 6 days a week.

I do miss the warmer weather..it was my favorite thing...walking my dogs with my younges...we did for an hour each Sunday..just chatting..and catching up..LOVED IT...
  • wxkris
    wxkris Posts: 57
    Options
    Though I have been trying to stay on the straight and narrow Paleo road for months- and not doing so well or I think I would have lost more weight by now. . I have just in the last 2 months crossed over to Primal by adding a little raw dairy back into my life. I have never read the specific details of what it means to be primal and need to. I am leaning towards the Primal Blue print it seems to be more practical over the long haul than any thing else I've looked into.. other plans may work short term but don't seem like they can be done as a life style..once one goes off plan the weight comes back. I've done that too many times. I not interested in going that route again. I want to get to my goal and stay there for life, instead of the yo-yo cycle I did in the past.

I have struggled with losing weight, too. I think my problem is portion sizes. I know what food to eat, but I'm apparently eating too much of it. I'm going to get back to counting my calories and carbs (I know...so annoying), but I think that's necessary to get my portions under control. I follow Primal. I still eat my greek yogurt because it's such a great snack for me at work or pre-workout snack.