Born to Run

Options
ashimon
ashimon Posts: 23 Member
Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen [Deckle Edge] I'm about half way through this book and wow, talk about motivational. If you need some lift to get up and out the door, read this book, it will motivate you. I know it has me. Hope to see you out on the roads or trails and by all means, add me as a friend.

Replies

• bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I just watched the TED talk with the guy who wrote that. With all the problems I've had due to shoes, I'm strongly considering the barefoot movement.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I read it a few weeks ago after a number of people recommended it. I would not have picked it up based on the description. I am so glad I did, I loved it.
    While I do believe for some, minimalist shoes are great, I am in the group that cannot run without a supportive shoe. I had been wanting to go minimalist but decided it wasn't for me. I was a little worried the book would be a big sell on going barefoot. He did talk about it but I didn't find it oversold the idea.
    Definitely a must read for any runner.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I can't run barefoot either. I do a bit indoor at he, but my main running, I need a shoe with a lift. Also there's lots of ice and snow right now, and not only do I need protection and warmth, but also spikes for gripping.

Pam
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I loved the book, very inspirational to me and really made me think about running in a different light. I don't barefoot run but I have gone down to a more minimalist shoe (Nike free run). I broke them in....or broke myself into them? very gradually and am up to 15km in them now with no issues. Marathon training for me starts in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to seeing what if any difference I feel over the course of the training :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of his premise, such as too much cushioning causing you to land differently, and too much support/stabilization restricting movement and allowing muscles to weaken. But I didn't feel like much of the book had a factual basis or was even very well written. I know that he had PF after switching to barefoot/minimalist running, it didn't stop him from getting injuries. I also know of a lot of barefoot/minimalist runners who do get injured. It's not the cure-all that they would like you to think.

Everyone has to find the shoe and running style that fits their body mechanics and environment the best. For some, that may be barefoot/minimalist, and for some, it may not be. For those who need lifts, orthotics, etc. because of congenital disorders, injuries, surgeries, cold weather, running style, or just preference, there's really no reason to feel guilty or defensive. Just enjoy your run!

Pam
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of his premise, such as too much cushioning causing you to land differently, and too much support/stabilization restricting movement and allowing muscles to weaken. But I didn't feel like much of the book had a factual basis or was even very well written. I know that he had PF after switching to barefoot/minimalist running, it didn't stop him from getting injuries. I also know of a lot of barefoot/minimalist runners who do get injured. It's not the cure-all that they would like you to think.

Everyone has to find the shoe and running style that fits their body mechanics and environment the best. For some, that may be barefoot/minimalist, and for some, it may not be. For those who need lifts, orthotics, etc. because of congenital disorders, injuries, surgeries, cold weather, running style, or just preference, there's really no reason to feel guilty or defensive. Just enjoy your run!

Pam

I completely agree with your second paragraph, which is part of the reason I was hestitant on reading the book when it was labelled as a barefoot running book. I was worried it would really push the idea that I *must* run barefoot, which is not what I found at all. I also found the book was much more than just about barefoot running as well.

I don't know if the comment on the factual basis was just on the barefoot running part or all of it, I would be interested to hear your thoughts. Many of the things I read about in the book were things I hadn't heard of before or not familiar with (aside from the barefoot idea) so I don't really have a gauge on what may have been inaccurate or not.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    If this book doesn't want to make you a runner, nothing will.

LOVE Chia seeds from this book, I was using them frequently before I read it just justified my use once I read. Yummy Chia Pudding.

Barefoot Ted does classes in Seattle, I'm so tempted to join him on a weekend.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I read that book recently and really loved it! It's a must read for any serious runner.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a reader, but I could not put that book down. Finished it in 2 days.
    Honestly I think that the story gets overlooked because everyone comes out of it with the "barefoot" thing, but the story and everything else in the book is truly entertaining and inspiring.
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ^^ exactly that ^^ :happy:
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    just started reading this earlier tonight and then saw this post. i got it from the library on my kindle and it goes back soon so i guess i better get reading seeing how great everyone says it is!!!
  • Jonathanfales
    Jonathanfales Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The hybrid between minimalist and stability is the Brooks Pure Cadence. LOVE IT!!!
  • ashimon
    ashimon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I personally don't think much one way or the other on actually going out and running barefoot. It's for some and not for others, but I do think the way we stride plays a big part in how often and how likely we are to get hurt. Pounding the heals, vs gliding down on the midfoot makes since. I've been looking into that Evolution and Chi running a little bit, just to see if it gives me a smoother stride. Watching video's on youtube of elite runners and seeing it in action vs, what I currently do, is pretty amazing.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I just read this after I watched the TED lecture. I thought the first half of the book was rather blah, but the motivational factor of the last half (talking about the evolution of hominids) was really quite good. :D it also helps that this is the sort of thing that I am planning to study in grad school.
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    finished it and loved it, everything taught in the book and the stories told were amazing! I am going to try on some vibrams this weekend to see what I think. I trained myself from the beginning to forward/mid strike. I always wore minimalist shoes, right now I have green silence, but think i want to take the next step. I bought some chia tonight too...I found a site that tells you how to make your own energy shots, all natural, figured I should try it out.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread I decided to borrow the book from my library and see what all this "Inspiration" was about. I couldnt put it down. Finished it in two days. I loved the whole book and didn't feel like they were pushing for barefoot running, though I will try barefoot/minimalist running at some point. I have run short distances barefoot on sand and asphault. Usually half a mile or a little more. I only did it on asphault, at the end of runs, when my feet were blistering from my running shoes. One thing I found pretty cool was that I had a renewed energy when I kicked them off. Like taking your ski boots off for lunch break, It feels so good to get that range of motion back.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Loved. This. Book.!!!

It's totally inspiring and for a brief moment, I had a glimpse of what my ultra-marathoning career would look like... :)

I'm reading Dean Karnaze's book right now, "Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner" and it's REALLY good as well.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    Options
    Loved. This. Book.!!!

It's totally inspiring and for a brief moment, I had a glimpse of what my ultra-marathoning career would look like... :)

I'm reading Dean Karnaze's book right now, "Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner" and it's REALLY good as well.

Thanx for the suggestion. I will pick that one up too! I know what you mean when you say "For a brief moment, I had a glimpse of what my ultra-marathoning career would look like." It's hard not to be inspired :wink:
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Loved. This. Book.!!!

Thanx for the suggestion. I will pick that one up too! I know what you mean when you say "For a brief moment, I had a glimpse of what my ultra-marathoning career would look like." It's hard not to be inspired :wink:

Check for it on Amazon, I think it was only like $12-14 maybe? I really really enjoy his writing style. I'm planning on getting his other book as well. I think he released one late last year. This one is from 2005-6. Let me know how you like it.

And actually I decided yesterday that I am going to do a ultramarathon (nothing crazy, maybe in the 30-50ish range for now). :)
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    Options
    Good for you! I love the idea of ultras. I have yet to run a race so we will see how I do from here. I am running a half (my first race) in september. I already wish I was signed up for a marathon instead. It's just too short, now that I have been running alot. I will work on speed though. Next year, I will absolutly do a Marathon!