Half marathon training

Options
geeksrule
geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
I am a "newish" runner. I have worked up to 10km now and am dreaming of running a 1/2 marathon (so hoping to do the Disney Princess 1/2 in 2013).

My question is what program did you use for training? I have done C25K and B210K - and was looking at Hal Higdon's 1/2 marathon app.

Any suggestions or advice to help me reach my goal would be appreciated!!!

Replies

• becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP friends is doing Hal higdon's half marathon training, I am interested in it also (heady goals!). Her name's rubysparkle on here, I'm sure if you message her she'll give you her opinion so far!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Hal higdon is a great program.

If you are planning a race well out in advance one suggestion would be to build up such that you go the distance(or longer) in one of your training runs. I think it makes a world of difference with your mental confidence.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

If you are planning a race well out in advance one suggestion would be to build up such that you go the distance(or longer) in one of your training runs. I think it makes a world of difference with your mental confidence.

Yup... this man knows his running! I'd go even further in training than the event itself. You'll end up with the best possible result. When I train for a half marathon (21Km) I usually train to run 24-25 Km... it helps overcome fatigue later in the race. When you train beyond the finish line, you usually have a little extra in the tank and start to blow past people at mile 11 or 12.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Yup... this man knows his running! I'd go even further in training than the event itself. You'll end up with the best possible result. When I train for a half marathon (21Km) I usually train to run 24-25 Km... it helps overcome fatigue later in the race. When you train beyond the finish line, you usually have a little extra in the tank and start to blow past people at mile 11 or 12.

I am so glad I saw this! I have a half in April and I've been thinking the same ideas as both of you!
  • fitsaxon
    Options
    I'm doing the half novice level Hal program! My race is in March :)
    Used him for 10K and it worked out well for me. Good luck to you!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have the novice half hal program currently taped to my door :) I am planning on going past the program since my half isn't until August and I would love to be able to run through that without vomitting at the finish :D
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'll add my vote for Hal Higdons' plan. That one seems to be the consensus vote.

I'm currently training for my first half in May. I'm not going to start Hal's until 12 weeks out, but I'm working on speed work and strength training during the week, and doing along run on the weekends. Not a bad idea to get a good mileage base (even if it is slow) before you dive in to the program.

Good luck!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm using Runnersworld's smartcoach program.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i used hal higdon's half training- novice. worked pretty well for me.
    i think you just find a programme that suits you, but the important thing is to just do it. don't slack too much, and it will all be fine.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have used Hal Higdon for 6 halfs and 2 full marathons and it has been great for me. My wife, sister, and three friends all use it too.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to check this program out - have been thinking about training for a half marathon in 2012 (started running mid-2011). Thanks for the recommendations, really helpful!
  • ashimon
    ashimon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Checkout these comparisons. http://fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans Great info on which plans work the best for beginners and why.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Nice comparison, thanks ashimon.

I'm using the RunKeeper training plan, which I like because it has runs by distance rather than by time (which is better for me as I'm a slow runner) and it has two 14 mile runs in there. There're some plans that only have you running up to 10 miles in training, and that didn't sit well with me, I need to know that I can cover the distance and my 12 and 13 mile runs have been really hard for the last few miles, I can't imagine hitting that for the first time on race day.
  • Ripped365
    Options
    Hal Higdon's half-marathon programs have worked for me :)
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Hal Higdon's as well for my March 11 half. I looked at the Runner's World beginner program but it was a little advanced for me:

http://www.runnersworld.com/rwdcaspdf/HalfMarathon.pdf

I just started running in August, have only done one 5k and am currently at 4.5 miles max. You are more advanced than I am so it might work for you. In any case, the training tips on the first 2 pages are very helpful.

The only thing that makes me nervous about the HH and RW programs are that they only train to 10 miles. I may push a little farther than that in my own training. People talking about adrenaline taking over in the last 3 miles, but I'm worried in my case that exhaustion will take over instead.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm actually doing the Disney Princess half this coming Feb! I did my first Half this past Oct, and was able to complete it having only trained up to about 7 miles.. However, I was def not trained enough, and the last few miles totally killed me. I'm doing the HH program now, so I know I'll be better off for this one!
  • cmartin0167
    cmartin0167 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've ran 5k's for over 10years and but stopped after my surgery that's going on 2yrs ago. So, I'm back to trying the 5k I did three this year. The first one was a Mud Run and the second one was at my sister's where she lives and the third one was in my home town. Now I'm getting ready to do another one in 2012 it's a Warrior Dash and pretty excited about it. But, my most challenging one is coming in June it's a 1/2 a marathon. So, I'm here to get as much motivation as possible because I'm scared to death about this one. I don't want to be last and I feel like I run like a snail at this time. The longest time I did on a 5k is 39mins and now I have to add an additional 10 miles to my 3, scary.

So, I will try to run at least 6 days a week not sure about the miles. I run at least 2-3 miles a day as of now but will be increasing for this 1/2 marathon.

Wish me a lot of luck I'm going to need it.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

The only thing that makes me nervous about the HH and RW programs are that they only train to 10 miles. I may push a little farther than that in my own training. People talking about adrenaline taking over in the last 3 miles, but I'm worried in my case that exhaustion will take over instead.

Hal higdon also has a novice 2 that includes 10, 11 and a 12 mile run. If this helps.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I used the HH Novice program for my first half. I think my longest run was 12 miles? That was back in November, and am now looking at the intermediate plan for a race I'm considering in March. :)
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i am using hal also, i have my first 1/2 in march. i kinda skipped ahead to week 5 since i already have been running 5 miles regularly and i am altering it slightly to fit my needs but following 6 days a week and 1 rest day( not all running) and increasing mileage, i did my 6 this past weekend and i have a 5k on sunday so ti worked perfectly with starting where i did. i have high hopes i just need to push it. i see it as if a week needs to be repeated, repeat it, i did when i first started with the c25k, but i know i will be ready by march without a doubt using this