Options
caligirl04
caligirl04 Posts: 33 Member
Hello! My name is Laurie and I am a single mother of 2 wonderful daughters, ages 20 & 16. I have always taken care of others and now I am taking care of me. I have been active for most of my life but have discovered that after turning 40, maintaining my weight was no longer easy. Eating low carb is a must for me and regular cardio and weight training seems to be the best combination for me...but, I get going and then something happens and I get off track.

So, I'm here for support from my fellow over 40 women...we need to show the world that 40 is the new 20! :bigsmile:

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Laurie!!! Love your spirit and attitude. 40 IS the new 20!!! ;)
  • jennifero469
    jennifero469 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great site for finding support and motivation. There are several great challenges available that really keep me focused. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Welcome Laurie!! This is a great group to join!! I have two kiddos also...15 and 20....I know how hard it is to be a single mom....I was one for a long time....and even tho I'm not one anymore....My hubby is gone 2 weeks out of the month.....sometimes it still seems like I am!! So...If you are looking for any other friends who can relate with staying motivated for weight loss and other every day life struggle....feel free to add me as a friend....I promise to help motivate and encourage you in any way I can!! =]
  • caligirl04
    Options
    I have tried a few different apps/programs to help keep me focused and on track. My niece, who is a personal trainer in Sacramento, kept telling me about My fitness pal and how she loved it! It took me a while but now that I am on it, I love it.

I work out at home. I have a treadmill and dumbbells. I love working out with weights. It my body responds to it and I notice a difference within a week or two. My problem is keeping up with it. Why is it that when I am consistent, I feel great and am happy with the results...I miss a day or two, that turns into another day or two and before you now it, I've missed a week , feel bad about it but have the hardest time getting back into it. Such a cycle!

I look forward to encouraging each other! Summer is really only 5 months away! :flowerforyou:
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    Caligirl...I have found that myself too if I miss a day or two of working out it seems to be easier to say I can miss another day. And this does seem to be a difficult time of you to make the time for it.
  • kreativekristy
    Options
    Hi, my name is Kristy. I have been married for 18 years and battling my weight since my children were born (ages 17,14,10). I am runner and biker. However, I am battling a knee injury and may require surgery. So, I need to watch my food intake and found this great site! I plan on losing 10 lbs and can't wait for 2012.
  • caligirl04
    Options
    Ok, so I've decided to take some pictures and do my measurements this weekend. Nothing screams the truth more than looking at a photo!! :noway:
  • caligirl04
    Options
    Ok, took the pictures and measurements today...the pictures don't lie!!! :noway:
  • caligirl04
    Options
    I have to get up early in the morning and get it over with...if I don't do it then, I'm too tired in the evening. I have a treadmill and weights that I like to use. I use an app on my iPhone, Beatburn by Lolo. It's a walking/running program and it mixes it up. The walking program mixes up speed and incline and is really a great cardio workout! :flowerforyou:
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    Hi, my name is Kristy. I have been married for 18 years and battling my weight since my children were born (ages 17,14,10). I am runner and biker. However, I am battling a knee injury and may require surgery. So, I need to watch my food intake and found this great site! I plan on losing 10 lbs and can't wait for 2012.

I too am married 18 years and my children are the same ages.....except my middle one turned 15 yesterday!
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    I have to get up early in the morning and get it over with...if I don't do it then, I'm too tired in the evening. I have a treadmill and weights that I like to use. I use an app on my iPhone, Beatburn by Lolo. It's a walking/running program and it mixes it up. The walking program mixes up speed and incline and is really a great cardio workout! :flowerforyou:

you've got this!!! You will do great!
  • caligirl04
    Options
    Thanks girl!! I sure need all the encouragement I can get! :bigsmile:
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Caligirl, I know how you feel.... I missed Dec. 25th and today (I ate like a pig today!) ... but I did run 6 miles on the 24th!!! But I need to get back at it. I have SOOOOOO many cookies and candies around right now though... 4 of my family members makes 3 or 4 kinds of cookies and we trade so everyone has some... and with the kids home (20,19, 14) they are enjoying the treats... but so am I!!!!

I'll try and stay out of the kitchen tomorrow!
  • caligirl04
    Options
    HA! I have been throwing some junk food away! But I kept the wine and extra homemade Kahlua that I made!! :bigsmile:

The continuous parade of goodies that have come through my door! Yikes!! And like you, with the kids home, and their friends coming over, I was doomed! I did hide the Ghiradelli Peppermint Bark in the freezer...1 square a day! LOL

I try not to open the freezer every time I pass by it!
  • Lori02139
    Lori02139 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Good to know about the app you're using. I'm going to give it a try this week at the gym!
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    Wait a second....homemade Kahlua??? Caligirl.....do you have recipe to share??? Finished my bottle of Kahlua by adding it to eveyones coffee on Christmas eve!!! Would love to know how you make it!!!
  • caligirl04
    Options
    Wait a second....homemade Kahlua??? Caligirl.....do you have recipe to share??? Finished my bottle of Kahlua by adding it to eveyones coffee on Christmas eve!!! Would love to know how you make it!!!

Yes Ma'am!! I'd be happy to share. I'll send it to you this weekend! Makes great Christmas gifts! :)
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    I'm new to the group too (but been on MFP for awhile). I started MFP over 2 years ago - got myself into much better shape and then...along came a baby. And I gained it all back. Yes I'm 41 and I have a 21 month old. Lord help me. I would love to say I'm trying to lose the baby weight but since I adopted I don't think I can blame him for that. I've had to learn all about how to fit in time for me and now I think, "what was my excuse for not exercising before???" Logically I always knew it would be harder to find time to exercise, eat right, etc. -- but once you actually have the baby and you collapse on the couch after putting him to bed, boy then reality smacks you in the face! and believe me having a baby at 41 really shows you why most women have their kids in the their 20's! Funny thing is the lack of energy, etc. is really one of my main motivating factors. I get my butt out of bed at the "ugly early" time of morning (so early it still feels like yesterday) and I hit that elliptical in the basement for 30 minutes because I don't want to be the big old fat mom that can't run around with her toddler.
  • mommy23kidz
    Options
    Hi everyone! I started my weight loss journey on the 1st. I am 5'3" tall and have always been small. My fist was a c-section, next two were vaginal. My weight went up after my third was born, and with proper exercise I got my weight down where I've managed to stay until this last two years. I am now a 46 year old single mom of three children ages 15 14 and 11!!.... I ended a relationship last year and ate and drank wine to feel better, and now I'm back up! I am done feeling sorry for myself and am back on track! I have given up on weighing in the teens anymore, but would like to see a lower number on the scale again!

I have been exercising, and my abs are killing me! Dang ab roller!! But feel great knowing it's working...

I am looking forward to sharing this journey with you all. I shall start in the forums before adding lots of friends.. thanks so much!

So question number 1... how often do you weigh in?

angela
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    Angela, I must admit I get on my scale almost daily. I was quite obsessed for while, getting on it several times a day, but at least now I am down to once a day! ;)