Vintage Style?

Options
leynak
leynak Posts: 963 Member
I've never really had much of a "style"- I have always pretty much just worn t-shirts & jeans. I still always tried to look presentable & wore make up and stuff but I was always pretty plain.

I've been thinking about how I want to present myself when I'm done losing weight. I have found myself leaning towards more vintage styles of clothes, hair, & make up. I've always had a thing for 50s type dresses and cute little aprons. I just always thought I looked silly & fat in dresses. I've been trying to perfect the victory rolls.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6Jf-amxa-LD7Gn4jhz1tbmrKqygfQPTLCD03yygCAUZ24VOutimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwmTtui0YKsWXjkdCaFoaN42dTt5ndAT3Wce_a3y9BOx5MCQT98A

Here's a picture of my first try with the make up and hair. The background is dark so you can't really see my (sad attempt at) victory rolls.
PC097084.jpg

I went to Wal-mart with them & got a few double takes. :laugh: I know in the past I cared a lot more about what people thought about how I looked/dressed. Which is probably why I was so plain. But I'm thinking that now I should just make myself happy.

Here are some examples of the dresses I would LOVE to own :happy:

116319602845315861_TsafQiyc_b.jpg
116319602845310596_hbsqQvPi_b.jpg

I know I want to try just to satisfy myself even if it's not my look 24/7 & my fiance says I'd look hot.:laugh: So I guess I was looking for other opinions. IS this a look I could really pull off without looking too silly?

Replies

• CindiBryce
    Options
    You don't have to wait until a certain weight in order to express yourself through style. I think you did your hair and makeup very well. This look suits you.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Thanks :smile: I'm already starting with the make up and hair. I just already have clothes that fit and don't want to get new until I'm done losing weight. Some of the dresses I want are kind of expensive & I would hate to get them & then not be able to wear them.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I think if that is your first try...You already look amazing, so you will look STUNNING when you get more into it!!!

Vintage has never been my thing, but I def think you can pull it off :D
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I know you stated that you don't want to wear this style of dress until you lose more weight.

But honestly, 50's style dresses are incredibly flattering to fuller figures. The tailored waist and bell skirt shape hide just about any figure flaw. I say go for it!
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I adore vintage styles! Your hair looks amazing in the picture. People were probably doing double takes because you looked so styled and pretty. Lots of people go out without putting any effort into their appearance so if you start doing it up and getting lots of looks, they are probably in appreciation! Those dresses are lovely and I say start dressing the way you like now :)
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

yup, love me some vintage style. And your makeup looked lovely! (Couldn't see much of your hair) You can enjoy playing around and seeing what works and what you like.

My suggestion is to include elements of vintage in with more modern things. That was it doesn't look like a costume or that you're trying too hard. For example, a vintage inspired dress with modern shoes and make up, a vintage blouse with jeans, heels and red lips. Enjoy playing around and having fun with it! :smile:
  • _Sonia_
    Options
    I definitely agree with Eleanor (above)--mix-and-match vintage is wonderful without being too costume-y. I tend to use lots of vintage costume jewelry (thank goodness for my city's annual Goodwill Glitter Sale!) and mix it with jeans etc.

Check out the dresses at modcloth.com and take a look at Bernie Dexter's designs and Facebook page--lovely vintage pin-up style stuff! And watch a few episodes of Mad Men for inspiration. Christina Hendricks can rock all that stuff, and she is far from skinny! :)

You're beautiful. Enjoy it. :)
  • MysticLiz
    MysticLiz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    oh my God I love vintage clothing! I only wish I could sew so I could make exactly what I like. Love your pictures and I want to add that this style was one of my motivations to loose weight!

Here's are two of my favorite dresses.

390833_2819350847447_1369191387_33130819_1825064725_n.jpg

382973_2781644704817_1369191387_33116272_59056358_n.jpg
  • Ohaira
    Ohaira Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think you're a doll and the style suits you perfectly! I suggest you join www.thefedoralounge.com and check out the powder room section. You can also contact me if you have any other questions at www.thescarlettrosegarden.com

Find the era that works best for your figure tho. I am long waisted, and as much as I adore the 50's, the cut of their gowns make me look huge. 30's and 40's dresses are much more flattering on me.

Do you sew?

I agree with the others.. you don't have to be at your goal weight to start rockin' this look! Dresses with belts or tie backs are perfect for in between sizes.
  • Ohaira
    Ohaira Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say.... don't worry about looking silly!! Do your own thing and enjoy it!

When I do the victory rolls and dress up, yes, people definitely stop and stare. I'm quite shy and it was embarrassing at first, but you get over it. It is really quite flattering. People open the doors for you, and treat you completely different. It becomes very empowering.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Hello, I guess I'm what you could call a full time vintage girl given that I wear vintage or repro clothing everyday. Of course you can do this! The hair takes practice but once you find a good way of curling it (I recommend wet sets over heat everytime) then its easy.

BTW - the gal in the yellow dress in the first post is my best friend. :-)