Menu Planning... For PICKY Eaters?

Options
I have noticed a lot of great, healthy recipes circulating here... problem is, I'm a very picky eater. I'm not huge on veggies; I typically eat the most basic veggies: potatoes, carrots (raw), lettuce (I could eat iceburg lettuce & Catalina dressing every day for a year), corn, broccoli (raw), cucumber, yellow beans (cooked), cauliflower (raw), celery... That's pretty much it, sad as it is.

I'm a huge carb fan, love white bread, pasta, rice... yum. Also a huge fruit fan (and I've discovered that I really need to add fruit to my diet, high in sugar or not, to keep me away from junk food. I feel that I NEED something sweet after supper, and better than be a handful of strawberries than a handful of candy). Obviously, those two facts don't help me a whole lot when I'm trying to eat healthy.

Any advice?

PS - Please don't tell me that I'll "grow up" and like certain foods... I think I've been hearing that for 23 years now, haha. I may still be young, but I didn't like peas when I was 3, and I don't like them now, 20 years later. I really don't expect that to change ;)

Replies

• hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    You never know, my uncle was a complete meat and potatos kind of guy until he was in his mid 50's, and then he spontaneously developed a taste for all sorts of weird things, lol

I don't think you can control what you like and don't like, but I would encourage you to at least try new things. Heck, I eat all sorts of things and I'm sure there are still loads of things I haven't tried, and might like. Maybe buy one weird fruit or veggie every time you go shopping for a while, and see how that goes.

Do you eat yogurt? I'm no expert, but I know my dietician tells me not to eat carbs by themselves, so if you're not eating it immediately after a meal, having your fruit with a little yogurt or cheese or some milk might be a good idea.

Spices can make a huge difference if you're eating the same things over and over again, too. I eat a lot of boneless skinless chicken breasts, and the monotony of that would drive me nuts if I didn't have a ton of different spices. I get a lot of the mixes from Penzey's so I can just sprinkle without having to measure or plan. You can use them on all sorts of things.

If you like tomato sauces, I find I can "hide" all sorts of things in homemade spaghetti sauce and my picky husband still thinks it tastes like spaghetti sauce.
  • wehrlegirl
    Options
    I noticed you like a lot of raw foods... maybe thats the ticket? you can do a ton with raw foods ( veggies) to make toppings to grilled meats and *gasp* carbs... if you make the switch to whole grain to increase your fiber.. you could make it work, so like whole grain pasta.. even making your own pasta to mix in herbs or veggie bases, or homemade potato gnocchi with a sauce from cooked, or a pesto from raw veggies/herbs topping. Actually the things you like could create hundreds of menu ideas.. corn succatash over polenta, cucumber/carrot/rice sushi rolls.. all sorts of stuff! If you use it on toppers of stuff you DO like.. you could have a ton of fun creating food to eat.
  • Blugal1
    Blugal1 Posts: 92
    Options
    Well, I hear ya! Being a picky eater has contributed to my unhealthiness, I think. However, I am starting to come around, like you. It is better to eat some fruit than a chocolate bar...

I just found some recipes for protein shakes that look interesting. I am trying to have those occasionally instead of having something I would be more likely to eat (e.g. Cheerios, then be hungry 2 hours later).

I also try to disguise some vegetables, e.g. puree onions or other vegetable such as zucchini and put them into soup, stir-frys etc.
  • MexisMom
    MexisMom Posts: 249
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.

I have absolutely no problem going whole wheat when it's something cooked/something other than bread (pasta/rice/etc). I've come to the realization that I'm a white bread kind of girl - and I'm okay with that. It's going to be one of the "things" I'll have to run a little extra for at the gym. We always ate the enriched white/"whole wheat ingredients with white taste" bread before, but now that I'm on my healthy kick, I have the Weight Watchers bread. Still, I freeze the loaf and try to stay away from it. Sandwiches are really easy for work though, so that happens occasionally.

I also don't eat sushi, or much seafood at all. I like tuna (which I ate a fair amount when I was on a high protein/low carb diet before - a can with some lemon juice and a salad on the side), and salmon when my SO grills it on the BBQ. I tolerated my step-mothers haddock, but not one of my favs. All in all, I'm not a huge fish/shellfish person... and part of that is texture.

I'll have to start Googling, and look up some of the things mentioned. Otherwise I fall into the "chicken and salad/tuna and salad" trap... if I'm gonna stay on this long term, I need a little more variety!

Oh - and I'm open to trying new things (I recently had brussel sprouts... Imagine!), but I honestly find that I have very very simple tastes.
  • wehrlegirl
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.

I have absolutely no problem going whole wheat when it's something cooked/something other than bread (pasta/rice/etc). I've come to the realization that I'm a white bread kind of girl - and I'm okay with that. It's going to be one of the "things" I'll have to run a little extra for at the gym. We always ate the enriched white/"whole wheat ingredients with white taste" bread before, but now that I'm on my healthy kick, I have the Weight Watchers bread. Still, I freeze the loaf and try to stay away from it. Sandwiches are really easy for work though, so that happens occasionally.

I also don't eat sushi, or much seafood at all. I like tuna (which I ate a fair amount when I was on a high protein/low carb diet before - a can with some lemon juice and a salad on the side), and salmon when my SO grills it on the BBQ. I tolerated my step-mothers haddock, but not one of my favs. All in all, I'm not a huge fish/shellfish person... and part of that is texture.

I'll have to start Googling, and look up some of the things mentioned. Otherwise I fall into the "chicken and salad/tuna and salad" trap... if I'm gonna stay on this long term, I need a little more variety!

Oh - and I'm open to trying new things (I recently had brussel sprouts... Imagine!), but I honestly find that I have very very simple tastes.

I was thinking more like using the ingredients you mentioned and making a sushi roll sans fish... low fat cream cheese, some fresh basil, add in some cucumber, carrot etc and you've got roll! Eatingwell.com had a ton of recipes to hide the veggies or eat them raw.. and of course there are raw veggie websites all over the place. My biggest problem is Im a total foodie and I LOVE to cook.... the kitchen is where I 'chill', so dont beat yourself up for being picky, just make it work for you.