Stretch Marks

Options
Alright, I figure it's time to let this ugly topic rear its head.

I've plateaued recently, but due to the gain of 50+ lbs over the last year (thank you, thyroid), I've got some stretch marks on my hips, inner thighs, breasts, and a few on my underarm. I think these, more than anything else, make me upset about the whole weight gain thing, simply because they can stay behind as unsightly reminders even after the excess weight has gone away.

Right now, I have a bunch of Palmers products and Bio Oil. I'm admittedly bad at using them consistently, but I'm also at a bit of a loss as to how to balance using both of them (oil vs cream)... and I've also got some Stieva-A from my doc. I figure Bio Oil is probably better than the Palmers... but is the Stieva-A prescription stuff better than Bio Oil?

Apart from that, any input and advise on how to minimize the appearance of stretch marks would be hugely appreciated. I know it's pretty much a fact of life as a woman, but I'd like to be as comfortable as possible in a bikini (imaging my new bikini body here!) and I'm the kind of person who would be very self conscious about stretch marks.

(Btw, I'm very fair skinned... a ginger, as my picture shows)

Replies

• Jetscuh
    Options
    I've always heard that cocoa butter is supposed to help a bit or Mederma (sp?) the skincare stuff for scars. Nothing will make them completely disappear but will hopefully help with fading.
  • ridewithless
    ridewithless Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sweatpea, I weighed almost 200 lbs when I gave birth (22 years ago this month!). Stretch marks were everywhere! Time and cocoa butter solved this for me. I have to say some of my girlfriends still have the reminders that they were bigger. Anyone who sees them will be in a position to love you, no matter what.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Time truly is the best remedy. I am covered with stretch marks from pregnancies and weight gain. Keeping your skin moisturized and hydrated will help. They won't go away, but they will fade and lighten over time.
  • MexisMom
    MexisMom Posts: 249
    Options
    I try to stay positive and not be brought down by them, but I'm not going to lie, it's hard to not let it affect me. My SO couldn't care less - he's great like that - but at 23 it's a hard pill to swallow that I'll be forever riddled w/ stretch marks. I don't want to be embarrassed come beach time, and I realize that's purely *my* issue, and not something that someone else is causing me to feel.

I mean, it's bad enough that I was cursed with never having particularly perky breasts... stretch marks seem to be a very unwanted cherry on the crapcake.
  • oharabear
    Options
    Sweatpea, I weighed almost 200 lbs when I gave birth (22 years ago this month!). Stretch marks were everywhere! Time and cocoa butter solved this for me. I have to say some of my girlfriends still have the reminders that they were bigger. Anyone who sees them will be in a position to love you, no matter what.

I wish there was a "like" button!