I'm afraid to weigh myself. How about you?

Options
I have been over eating lately and I'm afraid that I may have gained what I lost back. Do you find that weighing often helps you? I am thinking about taking a few months away from the scale and maybe, hopefully, be pleasantly surprised when I hop back on. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    If that works for you then go for it.

Personally, I need to hold myself accountable. Even if that means I *know* I'm going to be disappointed when I see the number. It provides me with more incentive to get my *kitten* back in gear.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself pretty much daily, but I'm not someone who obsesses over it. I know sodium, water and more can fluctuate weight up to several lbs. It's about what's right for you. Do you need to hold yourself accountable, is keeping track of calories enough for you? Good luck!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters. I weigh daily to hold myself accountable and keep my focus. I understand it is normal fluctuation, so I don't worry about small changes.

Stepping away from the scale and taking measurements is a good way to track your progress. A lot of people at MFP do that method.

I say there's to give your idea a try. It might be perfect for ya!
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm going to be blunt. It sounds to me like you want to 'wish' the weight away. That won't work. I don't think it is a good idea, based on the way your worded your post. You're setting yourself up for failure if you don't have some sort of way to hold yourself accountable. Changing your method of keeping yourself accountable may be a good idea. But, you've done the nasty (over-eating) and you'll have to face up to the probable consequences.

Now, jump back on the bandwagon, and don't look back. You can do it!
  • nay_nay11
    nay_nay11 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with every1. I weigh myself daily i mean to be honest NOT gettin on is how i got this big in the 1st place. So weighing myself makes me work harder. but i mean a break wont hurt if you choose to weigh yourself once a week go for it.
  • RTTN
    RTTN Posts: 3
    Options
    I was fine with 101 KG until I converted it into pounds. Yikes!
  • david581c
    david581c Posts: 337
    Options
    Eating a lot is like a double edged sword, on one end its super fun and on the other end it adds up.

Its always nice to enjoy ur food, especially when its holiday season or celebrations, im always careful to try and balance it out.

When it comes to scales, i used to weigh everyday and it would dictate my mood for the morning :/
    Now i just weigh in when i feel im not looking too tubby, so time is sporatic. Now my weigh ins always are on the good side of the scale.

lol @ kg to lbs. i just learned the ratio recently, i know what u mean.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Heck, we all overeat at Xmastime... you'd have to be a saint not to :laugh:

I weigh myself most mornings upon waking and after morning ablutions :wink: but I only record once a week and that is my Friday am or Saturday am weight (depending on where I am on these days). My weight usually fluctuates insofar as I will remain the same weight for 2-3 days then suddenly drop 1-2lbs and then it balances out... which is why I don't mind if the scales say something more than I'd hoped.

On Xmas Eve I weighed in at 94.0kg (206¾lbs) :bigsmile: and over Xmas I put on 1.7kg (3¾lbs) but that had dropped to 95.1kg (209¼lbs) by 28th Dec. and was down to 95kg (209lbs) by Friday 30th. Unfortunately I forgot to weigh myself on Hogmanay morning although I did step on the scales my mid-morning and my weight was apparently back to Xmas Eve weight :happy:

Then I weighed myself on New Year's morning and was back up to 95.1kg (209¼lbs) which I think was more realistic and then yesterday when I stepped on the scales they tipped 96.4kg (212lbs) yikes! Another 2¾lbs thanks to even more over-indulgence on New Year's evening :smokin:

So, back to reality today... No more biccies between meals, no more cheeky cocktails or pints down the pub, no more Xmas pudding and custard... just good wholesome food, regular portions and moderation at the fore! :bigsmile:
  • davnel78
    davnel78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's a double-edged sword, as i believe David put it - you want to be accountable, but then you start freaking out when the scales dont go the way you like. My conclusion? I weigh myself once or twice a week, and usually my weekend weigh-ins are the ones that I record on MFP. Honestly, especially this time of year, there is going to be some gains, but you just brush off and move on. I've honestly gotten myself to the point that I don't beat myself up over it if i gain a pound or two, sometimes it kicks the metabolism a little.
    Heck, I started in Sept at 190, went down to 172, and only managed to gain back like 3-4 lbs during the holidays... it could always be worse!
  • sirihermine
    sirihermine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from, I hate getting on that scale when I feel heavy, all though I know that's when I need it the most.

I weigh myself every other or third day, I realise that weighing in every week doesn't work for me, I can slip up way to much in the course of a week. It's better for me to keep account more often than weekly. Sometimes I will have gained a pound or two, but usually I have lost that, and some more the next time I weigh in. (If I haven't been going crazy with my eating that is... )
  • ScottInTheOC
    ScottInTheOC Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every morning. Then I started getting paranoid at every pound I would gain and fixate on it. Now I try to weigh myself once a week. I find that I do have fluctuations due to what I eat and missing my meds, etc.

For years I never owned a scale (20+ years). The only time I would go was when I went to the doctors. Now I use it to help support my goals.
  • hiwy44
    hiwy44 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week on Monday, daily weight changes too much once a week gives me a better idea if I am on track or not. I did go two weeks this last time and was happy to have lost weight. I did try and watch myself over the holidays but did not deprive myself. Now back to once a week.
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options
    I didn't weigh for about 11 months because i just didn't want to see the number...i about passed the hell out when i looked at the scale this past November.

I say weigh and just make it a reality.
  • MatrixDyke
    MatrixDyke Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with the holding yourself accountable thought, there is no other way to know if you are on track and seeing where you're at helps with your food choices throughout the day.

I only weigh in once a week or else I become obsessed with the number...maybe instead of stepping away from the scale completely just cut down on how much you weigh in?

Good luck either way!
  • tegsa
    tegsa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's SO hard not to eat all the goodies from the holidays. I had some family staying over during Christmas, so every time I woke up I had cookies/cupcakes/whatever calling my name. I didn't bother weighing myself because I felt very sluggish from all those extra carbs.

So, two weeks later I jump on the scale, afraid I had gained at least 15 lbs and was surprised this wasn't the case at all. I'm back on track and will stick to my weekly weigh-ins to keep up my motivation.
  • babbassi
    babbassi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I too weigh myself almost everyday. I don't really "count" those weigh-in's because I know that weight fluctuates, I just use that as a reminder that I cannot go off the rails. When I get scared to weigh myself or when I slack in weighing myself, I tend end up gaining weight. (like over the holidays).

That said, I am planning to record my weight once a week as a way to track progress.
  • roisins_girl
    roisins_girl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am back on the wagon after a several month hiatus. It was fun while it lasted... till I went clothes shopping. Not good. Before I would weigh every day, then I got down to once a week. This time, we don't have a scale and I think I'm going to focus on inches lost. I hate seeing that number stay high but I see all the inches coming off.

I also do a full body front and side photo of myself in shorts and a tank once a month and it blew my mind how much my body was changing. Seeing the crappy number just made me sad, frustrated and discouraged so I'm trying something new this time.

We shall see how it goes. :-)