Challenge: 30 pushups by Jan. 31

Options
OK! Anyone who wants to push themselves (up from the floor, using their arms!) can join this challenge! It is up to you whether you do 30 in a row or not.

I can currently do two sets of 15, or 20 in a row, but not 30. Challenge... accepted!

Replies

• Polydor
    Polydor Posts: 43
    Options
    Full push up i'm guessing or the girly ones??

P.
  • ridingagain
    Options
    I'd have to do girly ones,cuz I don't think I could make the real deal yet, but I'm up for that. I can do 10 in a row now - haven't done sets yet.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I've been working on my pushups since September and even I'm not sure I could do 30 in a row by the end of the month, bit I'm up for the challenge!

I was able to do a max of 12 per set last time I tried. When I get home I'll see where I'm at and check in with an official start #.
  • cagey22
    cagey22 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Blugal1 you're full of good ideas and motivation! I need this kind of thing to make me actually do it.

I don't know what I can do, push up wise, but I'm sure it won't be pretty. Consider this challenge accepted.
  • wehrlegirl
    Options
    Ok! You're on! I can do ten now.. so its a good challenge!
  • Blugal1
    Blugal1 Posts: 92
    Options
    Full push up i'm guessing or the girly ones??

P.

Whatever works! I am trying to make these challenges adaptable so that more people can participate.
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    If you do enough girly pushups eventually you'll probably be able to do the real ones. I couldn't do real pushups until I joined the Navy. After bootcamp I scored an outstanding on them at my PRT, which was 72+ in two minutes.

I'll have to see how many I can do. Mine won't be pretty either. I've been out of the armed forces for almost 10 years now, and even my chest presses are terrible. Plus I'm a lot heavier, so even if I had the same amount of strength, they'd still be harder :P
  • SophinMaine
    SophinMaine Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    By "girly pushups", do you mean the ones you do with your knees touching the floor? I can do those, although not much more than 10 in a row. I can't do regular pushups, my wrists are killing me.
    I'll keep up with you guys and stick with the girly pushups!
  • Blugal1
    Options
    First day trying to increase my pushups. Whew! This is going to be some work! I managed 2 sets of 15, and 1 set of 10.

I plan to work on both increasing the total number I can do, as well as trying to increase the reps per set, so that I can eventually do the 30 in a row by the end of the month.
  • Blugal1
    Options
    So, how's it going?

My back has been sore so I have not done quite as much as I'd like... but today did 2 sets of 20. I think I am on track for my goal of (at least) one set of 30!
  • HorsewithNoName
    Options
    I'm in! Only girly ones though :) I started yesterday with three sets of 10 - are they worth anything so far as exercise goes, I couldn't find them listed and didn't want to make something up lol
  • Blugal1
    Options
    This program doesn't give out "exercise calories" for strength training. However you can estimate them if you like, by putting in "strength training" into the cardio area. Also, you could call it "circuit training," if that fits.

I log what I've done (e.g. 2 sets of 20 pushups) but don't worry about the calories.
  • HorsewithNoName
    Options
    Fab thanks, I also do some dumb bell exercises and other *stuff* so will lump it all in together and log it.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My official starting max is 12 reps.

I'm going to use the 100 Push Ups program to build up.
  • Blugal1
    Options
    Good idea! Here's the link:
    http://hundredpushups.com/index.html
  • SophinMaine
    Options
    What do you do if your wrists are killing you while doing push-ups?
  • Blugal1
    Options
    SophinMaine,
    I'm not sure. Do you go to a gym - could you ask someone there?

I feel that exercises shouldn't physically hurt you. A push-up is using your body weight for resistance - maybe you just need to do a different exercise that doesn't stress that joint, but which will give you the same benefits with more adjustable resistance.
  • SophinMaine
    Options
    Thanks. I do go to a gym but mostly for "fun" classes such as Zumba, Pilates or Yoga.
    I'll put the question to someone there. I wonder if exercises where you lift your body when flexing your arms (hanging from a bar or a set of rings) would have the same effects as pushups...?
  • Blugal1
    Options
    How's it going everyone?

I started the "100 pushups" website program today. It wasn't bad at all. Did a total of 56 pushups, which is more than I have been doing on my own :-)
  • Blugal1
    Options
    Only one week left... how's everyone doing?

I think I am on track for my 30-in-a-row... will do another set today and see.