Challenge: increase planks by 50% by Jan. 31

Options
Eventing Nation inspired me to start doing planks when it reported that in USOC athlete testing, Tiana Coudray held a plank position for 7 minutes. Whew!

Are you ready to challenge yourself to increase your plank holding time by 50%?

Right now I hold for 1 min+, 3 times. Goal is to hold for 1.5 minutes, 3 times.

Replies

• Polydor
    Polydor Posts: 43
    Options
    I will definitely take you on! :P

But saying that, does it go by something different on here because I had to add it to my exercise list last night?

I'm also doing the side version as well.

P.
  • moody01
    moody01 Posts: 11
    Options
    I do both side and front planks, as well - when I do my pilates. So my numbers are going to be really wimpy because I do them at the end :). I will have to get a watch with a second hand! 7 minutes? Good god Maude!
  • cagey22
    cagey22 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh this sounds good. I'll give it a try but my numbers are probably not going to be too difficult to improve on ;)

Just explain to me what you mean exactly, when you say 3 times. Does that mean, do a plank for as long as possible, then go do a different exercise, do a plank, repeat? Or does it mean 3 times at any point throughout the day?

I'm guessing this is a stupid question, but if you don't ask......
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    Just explain to me what you mean exactly, when you say 3 times. Does that mean, do a plank for as long as possible, then go do a different exercise, do a plank, repeat? Or does it mean 3 times at any point throughout the day?

I can't speak for the previous poster, but when I do planks, I generally do them as part of a cycle of strength training exercises, so I'll do plank, other exercise a, other exercise b, plank, a, b, plank, a, b.

Since I struggle with lordosis (I'm swaybacked, lol), I usually only do them when I have someone with a decent eye to spot me, since it's very easy for me to do them incorrectly. What feels like straight through the back to me is actually really crooked.
  • wehrlegirl
    Options
    Ill do it! I love planks! My PT just started adding in resistance bands for one arm planks while doing bicep curls with the other.. freakin hard!! I got to 8 reps per set on each side.. so if I increase 50%..er.....maybe Ill just look at the clock.
  • Blugal1
    Blugal1 Posts: 92
    Options
    I do them like hsmithway. 3 sets of planks, interrupted by another exercise or two.
  • Blugal1
    Options
    What did I sign myself up for??????

I had my watch and somehow this is way harder than I expected. I managed one plank at 1.5 minutes (yay), side plank for 30 secs, full plank for 30 secs, other side 30 secs, full plank 30 secs.

Visualizing my XC courses is about all that gets me through these!
  • KCoyoteco
    Options
    I'll do this. I'll have to get my baseline.
  • Blugal1
    Options
    Well things haven't been going quite as well for my planks challenge, since I tweaked my back and have effectively taken 10 days off of planks.

However, tonight I borrowed The Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga DVD and it gave me a pretty good workout. I was surprised (although I shouldn't have been)! I had to do a lot of modifications just to complete the exercises. I think if I do this DVD a few times a week, my plank performance is going to soar! (I will just *be* sore....ha ha)
  • Blugal1
    Options
    We are entering the final home-stretch... one week to go. How's everyone doing?

I have fallen off the wagon, partly due to back troubles early in the month, but will give it the ol' college try for this last week.
  • Blugal1
    Options
    OK - how did everyone do? My result was that I did not increase my planks by 50%. So...... re-challenge for February! Will start a new thread.
  • KCoyoteco
    Options
    I'll participate in the fitness challenges for February. I didn't start these in January really because I wanted to focus on legs - though I did do some pushups. I can add these challenges now as they are fun! One thing I'll do is prepare for the Bolder Boulder - but that's not until the end of May! so really too far out for anything motivational.