Stalled weight loss---any ideas????

I had WLS Nov. 2010 and have lost 80% of my excess weight (or 107 lbs.). I would like to lose another 20-25 lbs. but have found that my weight loss has stalled.

I have read a ton of stuff about plateaus, etc. on the internet, but thought I would seek out those that have gone before me to find out how best to continue into year #2 after WLS and still lose the reminder of my excess weight.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• moebass
    moebass Posts: 12
    m the s 46 pounds...decided to change my gym routine and take a break from the obsession of getting it all off in a hurry. It is a lifetime not a race! Thanks for your encouragement
  • Strangley enough I quit drinking my morning protein and starting taking in a few more carbs and have lost 10 pounds since Christmas. I don't always understand how my body works and don't necessarily recommend this to everyone who has hit a 3 month plateau, but sometimes just changing it up I guess confuses your body and you lose more weight. Also, I wonder if my body just needed to adjust to the weight I had lost before it allowed me to lose more.
  • MissMeshia81
    MissMeshia81 Posts: 13 Member
    I am right there with you. I had my surgery Oct 26, 2010 and I have stalled and I am trying to get the weight to start up again and cant seem to do it either. I am looking for encouragment as well, cause I was down to 187 and slow since July has the scale went up on me. Then when I started to exercise and workout it goes higher. So, when you find out how to get it going again, let me know... I know I need to stop some stuff, but my sugar has been acting crazy and some stuff gets it to act right and get me to moving.
  • Like I said previously, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to my weight loss at this point in my journey. One thing I did change around Christmas is that I started drinking more caffeine as I got a new Keurig coffeemaker. Don't know if the additional caffeine has stimulated some weight loss, or maybe I am drinking more fluids now??? Just happy to finally be in the 160's. I am hoping to land around 150lbs and stay there (give or take 5 lbs).

If nothing else i am learning to have more patience with myself and my weight loss. No longer panicking when my weight loss stalls, just trying to understand what impacts it.

I have also decided to increase my exercise. I had been doing 3 hrs of Zumba/wk and 2 days of strength training, and random long walks and 5Ks. I am now doing 4 hours of Zumba a week and will be adding more to my strength training and more walks with higher inclines. I hope this will build more muscle and also help me get off that last 15lbs.

Wow how strange it feels to say I only have 15 more pounds that i want to lose. For 40 years I have had a daunting amount of weight that I needed to lose--now only 15. But, I also know it will probably be the hardest 15lbs to lose and keep off---so, i better get serious and work hard.

Good luck to you in your journey.:flowerforyou:

10324051.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • vmudgett
    vmudgett Posts: 40 Member
    I just spoke to my dietician because I was also stalled. She told me to increase my exercise. I am only walking about 1 mile a day, and not too fast, so I think I'm going to increase my speed and try to walk a little longer. I am also thinking about joining a gym.
  • I have increased my exercise to 6-7 Zumba classes a week (1 hr each); strength training 3x week, a 5K every other Sat. and additional walking as much as I can during work hours. all this exercise just makes me hungry and hasn't done anything to promote weight loss. Although, I do feel well and stronger--I still can't seem to shake this plateau.

Over the past year I have had some success with doing the 5 Day Pouch Test on occasion (just Google 5dpt for details) to stimulate weight loss as well as just get refocused on the rules to live by post WLS. So, yesterday I started on this plan again to see if it will help me start losing weight again.

I keep hoping, and trying to believe that by adding strength training my weight has stalled due to gaining some muscle and taking in extra protein. But, I still fear the stalled weight loss and possibility of regain--and would be alot more comfortable with myself if I could at least reach my goal of 150lbs (size 10 clothes) and put more distance between where I am and what for me feels like i am overweight.

Good luck to you as well.
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    stick with mfp and get exercise it steady are you happy where you are also?