crazy random thoughts on a long run

Options
Run4iiiiiit
Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
Am I the only one?
It seems like the more I train, the longer my runs, etc, etc...the more crazy I seem. Today was an 18 mile run. I noticed every ache and pain, as usual, but it seemed like it was uphill both ways. My toenail started hurting. Didn't I just cut them? I wonder how often other people cut theirs. If that biker guy going the other way could read my mind, he'd be like is that guy really thinking about toenails?
A Katy Perry song came on. Fast forward 3 miles and I'm like I wonder if she would flash me. I mean if I have the nerve to ask, would she be like f you perv? She seems pretty cool. I'm not looking to motorboat. wtf? Am I really thinking this?
I wonder if NFL players would play if they didn't get paid or have huge crowds watching. I wonder why people don't line this bike trail to see me run. Actually, I keep using my sleeve to blow my nose...I don't want people too see that. I buy all my own equipment and actually pay to run races, maybe I AM crazy.
Please tell me I'm not the only one...

Replies

• trogers802
    trogers802 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I can't say I have thought about toe nails but I have had some thoughts of world domination (haha). Running long distance is not the most exciting thing. For me I am training for something and the long runs by myself are part of the training. If my mind wanders then that makes it go faster not that I go faster. Sometimes it pays off. I thought of winning my age group for a race in November when training in October and I did win my age group. This is the first time I won anything since highschool. No you are not the only crazy runner.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    OMG... that is ME!! Only I don't think about motorboating Katy Perry... it's more like...

"Didn't I just blow my nose like 2 seconds ago? Oh well, guess it's snot rocket time. My arms are tired. You'd think after running 10 miles my legs would be, but my arms are stiff instead. Damn, it's cold out here, I can't feel my face. Only 2 miles to go. I wonder if the people driving by think I look fast, I feel like a slug though, I'm sure I look like a slug too. Should've used more body glide. Maybe I should just take a soak in the stuff before I run. I wonder who invented it, that stuff is pretty amazing. I should buy stock in it. I need to stop spending so much money on running gear. I think I own more fitness apparel that street clothes. I do love this windbreaker though. Only 1 mile to go. I think I still have energy chews in my teeth, have to make sure to brush when I get home so I don't get a cavity."

Also insert randomness about work, my husband, tv shows, aches & pains, etc... I call it "Runner's ADD"
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Please tell me I'm not the only one...

What else is there to do on a long run? :laugh:
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

What else is there to do on a long run? :laugh:

So very true! My favorite long runs are with a friend. We will still be moaning about our aches and pains but the time sure does go by faster!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    HA! I have the random crazy thoughts on long runs too. They mostly only happen when I run solo though because I'm usually talkign when I run with friends.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Yeah, I once literally thought during the last mile of a long run "I am so glad nobody can know what I've thought about during this run...they'd think I had lost my mind." I also tend to design stuff in my head while running....like my dream house, new shoes, landscapes for neighborhoods that are drab, etc.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    Not only do I have crazy thoughts, but I talk to myself. I can't be the only one who does that, right? :p
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Well, my crazy thoughts are more me making up stories about being a superhero and needing to run so far to save my family, etc. Or someone tries to jump me and I totally beat them up like Buffy. Maybe I watch too many cartoons and video games with my sons LOL!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    OMG... I was crying from laughing so hard... y'all have to watch this video regarding this topic!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsMw10KVVCk&feature=youtu.be
  • skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    OMG... I was crying from laughing so hard... y'all have to watch this video regarding this topic!!

Love it!
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Options
    Thank God.
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Options

Holy crap that's funny.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    My favourite distance is half marathons. This was genuinly my thoughts one training run:
    Mile 1-3:
    feel crap. Thinking about how crap I feel.

Mile 4...
    "So, if I were to design a house for life, what would it look like?"

Mile 4-7
    Designs reconfigurable house in head - seems like a genius idea - something which you can section off and rent when you are young / pre children, then re-incorporate as you get older with kids, then have a different variant when you're old and want to live on one floor.

Mile 7:
    Gel

Mile 7-10
    Designed a modular kitchen system so you can rebuild that part as you change teh house
    Work out how parking and gardens would work

Mile 10:
    Gel

Mile 10-11:
    Analysis the plans

Mile 11:
    Realise they are crap

Mile 11-13:
    "Almost there, Almost there, Almost there...."

Mile 13 -> 13.1 miles
    "Should I go any further? Oh, theres the cafe.. lets stop now"

This is why I never do laps!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options

That's hilarious!

And mikey: I'm glad someone else designs houses on their runs as well :)
  • whoosh1
    whoosh1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have lots of crazy thoughts ... usually I feel some sort of pain or ache and then start stressing over it .... making it feel worse. Then I get distracted by something else and realize 20 minutes later that the pain is gone ... but now I am thinking about it again and the cycle moves forward.

By the end of a 3+ hour run I have several self-diagnosed injuries. Luckily an ice bath, beer and food cures them all :drinker:
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    My long runs are 7 miles, but that's enough time for my mind to run away.

First mile: it's too cold, too hot, do these shoes really fit, should I retie them, uphill is not my friend, etc.
    Second mile usually starts out thinking about running as a moving meditation. Then which meditation pillows should I buy for home, I don't have one but would really like one. The round ones are better than the square ones. But then color is important.

By mile 5 my mind sounds like Rain Main. "Qantas. Gotta fly Qantas. Do you take any prescription medication?"
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have crazy thoughts AND I talk outloud to myself sometimes. The weirdest thing is that I don't remember what I thought of when I'm done! I'll try to remember, so I can share my insanity with my husband, but it's like trying to recall a dream...so close but yet, so far away! LOL