Making Time for Yourself

Options
Alright Busy Mommas!

How do you do it?

When do you make time for meal planning?

For exercise?

For relaxing?

Tell me!

Replies

• deannarey13
    Options
    Time for myself is my exercising and meal planning time.

I don't know that I specifically set aside time for meal planning, but I am always thinking a day or two ahead. I have meat pulled out of the freezer at least 2 days before I am going to need it. I also log most of my meals the night before, so that I can make adjustments as needed.

I have scheduled exercise into my life, just like I would a doctors appointment. I schedule play dates, gatherings, ect around my appointments - including exercising. I do as much of my exercising as I can before my family is awake, which is only every other week since my hubby works overnights 2 weeks per month, so I need to be home those days. Otherwise, my son does enjoy hitting the Y with me. They have a great place for the kids to play and he looks forward to it.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    My exercise time is in the morning before everyone is up or at lunch time - we have a gym in the building. I generally do a DVD or elliptical (I have one in the basement) at home at 5 am, then MWF is yoga at work during lunch. I can't afford a gym membership and wouldn't have time to go even if I could. With 4 boys, life is crazy when I get home and their committments come before mine in the evenings.

For meals, my hubby and I go through phases where we're really good at planning everything out and then not planning anything at all. Hubby is a full-time student so he is home before me and generally does most of the cooking.

My relaxing time is generally only a half hour each night after the kids go to bed and before I go to bed - this is when I watch my shows.
  • annasgyal
    annasgyal Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    This is an area I will say I struggle with. I tend to put everyone before myself. At times it is literally a struggle to schedule my exercise, because my kid's always have some sort of activity going on.
  • mrspetrosian
    mrspetrosian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Alright Busy Mommas!

How do you do it?

When do you make time for meal planning?

For exercise?

For relaxing?

Tell me!

The meal planning part is the hard part! We do our shopping once a week on Sundays and we end up doing a lot of impulse buying or finding "easy" stuff OR the same ole same ole. :/ I find lots of recipes that I want to try and then I either forget the ingredients or "bookmark" the recipe somewhere and then never even try it! We have been doing slightly better lately though...slightly.

My 5 month old typically goes to sleep about 6pm. So after dinner, I have the time to work out. It's just a matter of getting myself to do it whenever I work full time, deal with the baby, and just want to CRASH OUT!

Relaxing can be tough, too. I feel like I am always doing something. Always folding laundry, always messing with the baby, always picking up after my hubby (lol).
  • gabriella_0577
    Options
    This is the hardest part for me. I put everyone and everything before myself - sometimes I think I use it as an excuse to eat badly or slack on the exercise. Definately an area I need to work on so I will update everyone in 2 weeks and let you know what I have come up with and what I am doing.

I love the idea of making meals and freezing them ahead of time - I have no idea why I didn't think of that. That would def. make life so much easier. I am thinking of doing my exerise first thing in the morning while my little man is sound asleep. New year - new attitude - new steps.
  • fit443
    fit443 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My husband cooks, so I plan out my breakfast/lunch, and then manage with portion control for supper. He knows to make a large salad for me when the menu's not so mama-friendly. It took a while for him to believe I was serious. I actually got up and made an alternative supper sandwich with salad about 3 times before he clued in. Now, he's wonderful.

My personal schedule bounces, depending on the week and the needs of all the others. As long as everyone shares their schedule, I can find 2 or 3 nights where I change into work out clothes while the boys get ready for bed, then shove myself out the door to the gym. If I know that can't happen, then I do a JM workout while they do homework before supper. Saturday mornings I take an hour for karate by myself, while my family crashes at home.

Quiet time...hm. Friday night movies, knitting/reading for a few minutes before bed, and devotionals during breakfast. For me, one social outing a week/two weeks is essential to my well-being, so my hubby covers bed time without complaint. Happy wife; happy life! And daily time on mfp, too.
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    for me this is really hard om 20 and living with my fionces family his grandfather cooks hes a diabetic now so i think its geting better i hope but dinner i have no control over and i dont want to be rude so i just try to eat small portions but my issue with this is i have no idea how to measure sometimes like for soup... or meat i just got a scale so hopefullt i can do better with that.

the meals i do make for my self i usally make a sandwich for lunch or make / have the left over salad and veggies from the night before and usally throw a peice of fruit in with it. breakfast is ither pb toast or cereal which i always measure out but ive started to make smoothies i pop the ingrediants in the freezer before bed when im making my nightly snack which is usally a peice of fruit if i have enough cal left ill have an apple and peanut butter

as for exercise when he takes my bf to work i set the bab in her rocker and usally do a 20 min work out video on demand. I want to start to go for walks after dinner but its getting dark kinda early and my bf dosnt think its safe for me to go alone and hes usally not here to go with me but hopefuly i can convince his mother to go for walks with me with her energetic dog

as for time for myself during her naps ill get mabe an hour each to do what ever lately ive ben getting on here or cleaning