Bragging about kids on bikes

Options
Jomoli
Jomoli Posts: 31 Member
I just posted on my blog about my little daughter, Josie (she is 2 1/2). I would love to hear some of your bragging stories of your kids on bikes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/youngmonkey

Replies

• broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Nice! I have no kids to brag about, but I can say I am a great learner. I learn from kids, learn from adults, learn from animals ,and learn from the wind. So I am glad to read of someone who can learn from their children. May we all forever be students of the universe, and also...ride, ride, ride!
  • DrIanKellar
    DrIanKellar Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My boy was on a balance bike from two and on a pedal bike from 3 1/2. He's just turned six now, and has done 25km on his own bike, and competed in a duathlon. Last summer, we did a 112km brevet together on the tandem in my profile pic. Very proud.

So, as you can imagine, when I heard that my colleague had got his kid on a balance bike before he was two, and riding a pedal bike at 2y11m (really well too - he'll happily ride a couple of kilometres), I realised I am a failure as a dad. The shame!

:)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    That is so adorable!
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 year old road racer on my hands. His first year of racing was 2011 and he finished 2nd in the State for 10-12 year olds in the Best All Around Rider competition. He is a B+ rider at 10.... He will be dropping me soon!!!
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Last year, whilst still 6, my youngest daughter covered 501 GPS mapped miles over the summer holidays on her own bike (mini camping tour, home, Suffolk Hills and the Loire). Max day distance was 42 miles. The eldest two have all done similar mileage (my eldest @ 11 bagged 55 miles).
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Youngmonkey, that is really great! Your DD is gonna be a little monster on a bike, someday! :glasses:

We just got our almost 11 year old son his first REAL bike (ie not a department store special or his dad's 30+# childhood BMX bike, which is what he's been riding for years). His new bike is a Redline Conquest 24 cyclocross bike. It's almost as heavy as his previous bike, but it has gears (18 speeds, I believe--a real compact double) and cantilever brakes, rather than coaster brakes. It's essentially the scaled-down version of my cyclocross bike. We can't wait for better weather to get out with him to work on shifting and braking.
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    +1 from me! So sweet!!
  • Les_Lamb57
    Les_Lamb57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Longest rides for my sons - Son #1 (17) did 54m and #2 (13) did 30m last weekend. They have nice bikes purchased through the UK Cycle to Work Scheme.

Best of all is that cycling gets them off their PS3s!
  • Jomoli
    Jomoli Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great to hear about everyone's kids! They are so much fun, aren't they!