2012 - Tennis Players!

Options
dougstevens
dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
Okay, its been several weeks since I've played. Currently I am between tennis seasons. And this tennis junkie in a real need for a fix. I hope to invite others that I know around here to brave the weather and hit the ball around.

In 2011, it was a good year for tennis. I played in several leagues and won the division title in one of those leagues.

In 2012, I want to move from a solid 3.5 player into the 4.0 and 4.5 range. I am also considering keeping an eye out for local tournaments.

Do you have a new year's tennis resolution?
Are you planning on hitting the ball more?
Expand your game in some way? (e.g. if you're a single's player include doubles, or vice versa).
Plan on seeing any tournaments? (Seeing the US Open is on my bucket list.)

Replies

• Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    No big resolutions for me, but I am going to work on my mental game in 2012 as that's usually my biggest hindrance. I'd like to push myself to become a 4.5 rated player, but I know that I won't get there until I win the mental battle with myself and play with confidence at all times.

I'll be moving to the DC area sometime in the next few months, which I know will interfere with my regular tennis playing, but I hope to find a club down there where my husband and I can join some leagues and make new tennis friends. I'm not a singles player, but I do enjoy hitting with singles players when I can to work on my consistency. I'd also LOVE to see the US Open someday...just not likely in 2012 between the new job, moving, selling our house, etc.
  • mandakins79
    Options
    I too hadn't played in weeks and weeks. I finally got on the court for a practice match before my mixed doubles season starts this week. Felt so good!
    I'm a pretty decent 3.5 player. I normally play singles because 1. I'm good at it, 2. no one else wants to play singles. I'm hoping this year to get more doubles time in during my regular season with my girls!
  • cms6300
    cms6300 Posts: 163
    Options
    Was able to play today. 60 degrees in Charlotte today, 65 tomorrow. Can't wait to burn a few more calories tomorrow.
  • nikkilove2013
    Options
    My new years resolution would to be to fix my forehand XD Its decent, but I could work it a bit more.
    Im still in high school, Im #2 on our girls side, so Im decent. But our past seniors are there to help me out with my hitting (thank god)
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    I want to get up to a 5.2 from a 6.1 =)

and improve Inside out forehand
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the same lifting exercises as my boyfriend uses for his tennis training (he has gotten AMAZING with less than a year under his belt). The women in his co-ed league have already started inviting me to join them for summer games!!

They have urged me to join a tennis competition this summer in a local community. Its nothing crazy, but it gives me something to strive for.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    The women in his co-ed league have already started inviting me to join them for summer games!!

They have urged me to join a tennis competition this summer in a local community. Its nothing crazy, but it gives me something to strive for.

That's wonderful!! Being able to play with a regular group and on a "team" if possible can be great for your game. I'm really going to miss the women I play with here in New England when I move, but hopefully northern Virginia has some people into tennis too. :) Keep us posted on your league progress!!
  • TheRefoot
    Options
    What's up?
    I love seeing all the other tennis players up on here.

Anyone have any tennis specific exercises that they are doing? I've been doing some presses using a cable machine, and killing the legs with some bulgarian split squats, weighted squats, weighted lunges, and of course deadlifts.

Thoughts on other things to work?
  • cms6300
    cms6300 Posts: 163
    Options
    The insanity workouts are great for foot work and core. Specifically the first 10 minute warmup on each disc.
  • 50poundmonkey
    Options
    Played many, many tourneys a few years ago and my partner and I won the Masters tourney here (top 8 teams in the state are invited) and I got 2nd in singles that same year. Since then, I've only played a couple of tourneys choosing to concentrate on the family and all the soccer we've got going on. Might jump in a few soon, but wow, I'd like to lose 20 or so before then.

Losing weight (I'm praying) will extend my tennis career. My dad played until he was mid 60s and needed his first knee replacement. Soooo, dropping the pounds might save a knee!

Encouragement and friends on MFP is key!
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Hi, Someone asked about exercises specific to tennis. I don't have any (yet) but I did start something that I saw on the tennis channel and it really seems to help as a stretching and with my serve. Stand at the service line, use your standard toss and using your standard service motion, try to hit the ball over the back fence. It is not as easy as it sounds. Remember you are only stretching so you are not pounding the ball and putting a lot of pressure on your shoulder. Not only does it work as a great stretch, it also seems to make it much less likely that I will hit the net on a serve.
  • amisbest
    amisbest Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread. I am a tennis junkie and have been playing for decades. This winter was the best. Played every weekend with a group of guys outdoors! We only missed 3 weekends because of weather. I live in SE PA. I found that playing outdoors was very helpful in jump starting the USTA leagues. I play on three 4.0 teams plus inter-club. My goal for this season is to hit a better overhead and to cover more lobs. I have lost 35 lbs since Jan 1 and it has made a real difference in court coverage and stamina. Look forward to hearing from other players.
  • Geyser_Mountain_Dreamer
    Geyser_Mountain_Dreamer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Expand your game in some way? (e.g. if you're a single's player include doubles, or vice versa).

My resolution is to play in at least one tennis tournament and hopefully win the whole damn thing.

I do plan on hitting the ball more by getting a Lobster tennis ball machine. I've been trying to get one for quite some time now. Still haven't, but I think I'm close. Once that happens.........I can realistically see myself going from a 4.5 to a 5.5. 6.0 would be awesome.

My serving percentage has always been >HIGH<. I have a genuine whopper for a first serve and a highly reliable kick second serve. I switched to the one handed backhand 4 years ago. I'd like to tweak my game by making my backhand more consistent and utilizing the serve and volley more often.

US Open would be >AWESOME<. The past two years I've had the good fortune of seeing professional tennis in Memphis. Last year I saw Rod**** play, this year I saw Isner play. Isner can really put some pepper on that serve. Memphis is a beautiful city so every year is a wonderful experience. The venue is very small and intimate. The indoor court pic in my profile is the court the players hit on in Memphis. I'm almost sure I'll be able to go next year too. Sure would like to see Federer play.

Sure would love to play on a grass court and clay court someday!

Edit - MFP thinks I'm being vulgar by typing Andy Rod**** (Rodd-ick)
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My tennis goal is not to lose a set in my 3.5 Usta doubles matches so I move up to 4.0, right now I am 4 wins no losses.and the strategy of the other team is always to keep it away from me. I am only half way to my fitness goal, so they are sursprised when drop shots or lobs to the other side of the court don't bother me. Every pound gone helps my movement. I also want to get back to singles. I miss my lobster I lent it to my cousin for her high school kids. If you need to travel far to get to the us open when you do keep traveling to the hall of fame to play on the grass courts. My bucket list is all 4 grand slams (been to us open-close enough for day trip from MD) and seeing the us in a championship Davis cup match. Went to an opening round and I think Davis cup is the most fun in tennis. Because of schedule I won't get to the open this year, but might get to dc to see team tennis.

The question I have been asking folks is if you are the us coach who is your dream team Olympic mixed doubles team. I like bob Bryan and Serena. And Isner and Venus, but not sure who if I only pick one. It's a brutal schedule this year so it will depend on who stays healthy
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Great to see some other tennis fans out here. I have been on a competitive sabbatical and am getting back into things recently. I play at a high 4.0 level.

They include playing regularly and improving my serving and volleying. Working a lot on technique and serve variety.

Yes. Regular club leagues singles and doubles.

Expanding my game to include a variety of heavier topspin as compared to my normal game.

Got to see the Newport RI Tennis Hall of Fame Tournament last week. First time seeing the grass tournament. Facility is nice and cozy and the play was good. Makes me want to get to Wimbledon and see Fererer even more! (my bucket list). I have been to the US Open the last couple of years and it is sensational. They are watering it down a bit meaning they are making it hard to see marquis players on the side courts and instead stick them only on Ashe, but if you work for it, you will enjoy the US Open. I have found the Sunday before the tournament to be the best day to go. Players practicing everywhere and roaming the grounds. A good time.

Michael
  • PapaBear15
    PapaBear15 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone; just joined myfitnesspal today; I LOVE tennis and coach HS level; I am looking at getting fitter and losing some lbs!! Tennis is one of my favorite ways to burn some calories but really my biggest challenge is maintaining a healthy diet - breads are my downfall!!

Anyway, I am a 4.0 rated player - I recently switched jobs to a new community so I am slowly making connections with people including tennis players. I invite you to drop me a line; say hey; support each other and share tennis stories!! I am gearing up to play in a Labor Day Tournament and I am playing league as well.

Good playing and good health to everyone!!

PS I find a solid 30 minute vigorous elliptical session at least 3x a week with some weight training has helped my stamina on the court a lot!!