Finding time

Options
Elizabeth_M
Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
I have 2 under 5 - well, one 5 year old and one 2 year old. I am a teacher of SK kids, and my life is crazy. I have just started working out again since August (while I have been on Xmas break) and I am hoping this motivates me to continue when I head back to work on Monday. Before, last year, I would get up at 4:30 in the morning and head to the gym. It was hard, but I got results. I am planning to have hubs look after the kids for 2 nights a week so I can go to a class, and hope that works, too.

Replies

• sylverkat
    sylverkat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow 2 under 5. Thats a handful. I have just the one biy who is nearing 3 years. Kudos to you for the early morning wake ups!
    I took a yoga class last fall and it did get my butt moving, when my life slows a bit in the summer I plan to take something with more cardio. Welcome to the group!
  • dngortegae
    dngortegae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I too am in this boat. I have a five year old and a six month old. I typically get up at 4am and leave the house by 4:30am. I work all day, pick up my kids after work, cook dinner, and get them ready for bath, bed, etc. It is all very tiring. My husband is a big help, but doesn't get home until about 6-7pm. By then I am mentally and physically drained and I do not feel like working out, showering, and then going to bed. I am already not able to go to bed until 9-10pm. I have to find some time! I am starting at 5'5" and 170 pounds.
  • sthompson0214
    sthompson0214 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Sarah. I have a son who will be 3 in February and a 16 month little girl. I too work full time so finding the time is almost impossible. I'm also at that stage where I feel guilty if after not seeing them all day I then go to the gym for an hour or so after work so I let exercise go...end result...20 lbs heavier...sigh. I started doing Jillian's 30 day shred on Tuesday since it's a short video and can be done at home. My intent was to get up and do it before work but that hasn't happened...LOL. So I've been doing it after my husband gets home (6ish) and after I get the kids fed. He takes them upstairs so I can do it. But it is a struggle, like you've said by then you are mentally and physically drained...

Good luck to everyone!
  • lizz0722
    Options
    Hi everyone. I seem to be in the same boat as you all too. I have a 1 yr old and a busy work life. I just started this week working out and so far its working. On Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays i get up at 5am and go work out. These days i go in the AM since my husband is starting school and works late these days. On Tuesdays and Thursdays i go about 6ish at night with my sister. On these days my husband makes his own dinners and feeds our little one. This is so far how i've been able to do it. Im not sure how far i will be able to continue since my husband has a short patience with our little one. I hope we can continue so we can all reach our goals.
  • realhousewife_windsor
    Options
    I have a daughter who will turn 2 next month, my challenge is to find time for me to work out. The other day i put in a Jillian Michaels DVD and she worked out with me, as cute as it was at times she was in the way. The other challange i face is making sure she eats healthy with us. She is at a stage where she is a picky eater and i need to bring more healthy food to our home.
  • ashkas2
    ashkas2 Posts: 32
    Options
    I have a 3 year old and an 11 month old. My husband works 3rd shift and i work a mid shift full time so my schedule doesn't leave alot of room and def no time for the gym. I'm trying to find something new to do after the kids are in bed. I've got 80 lbs to lose and i'm determined to keep it off this time. I would love to hear about any videos or tips that have helped you all.
  • sthompson0214
    sthompson0214 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's 30 day shred is a good one because it's like 27 min when you include warm-up and cool down. I'm only on day 4 of it but I've heard people having great results. I've found a few forums/boards on here with people posting about it.

I'm all about doing as most as I can in the least amount of time!

Good luck!
  • emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    HELLO ALL !!! I thought this looked like an awesome group . i am a mommy of a 3 year old and a wild and crazy 2 year old . i work Mon- Fri 8-5 and it is really hard sometimes finding the time or motivation to work out . i have been at it since last April . i majority of the time do my workout after the kids go to bed around 8 at night . if i know i will have no time the following day then i will wake up at 5 am and knock it out then but i have NEVER been a morning person so it takes all i have to do it . i do workout dvds (Jillian mic heals is a god to me lol ) i have a exercise bike i have a weight set i just got a kettle- bell this Christmas . but i basically just work with what i have at home . i have no time to go to the gym but i really look at that i have made it this far with a gym membership so why change. i weighted in the 230s back at the beginning of 2011 and currently now weight in at 152. my goal is 145 and its only getting harder at the end.
  • emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old and an 11 month old. My husband works 3rd shift and i work a mid shift full time so my schedule doesn't leave alot of room and def no time for the gym. I'm trying to find something new to do after the kids are in bed. I've got 80 lbs to lose and i'm determined to keep it off this time. I would love to hear about any videos or tips that have helped you all.

30 day shred is good , ripped in 30 is also. i am currently doing the biggest loser : cardio max
  • kaylaf08
    Options
    Hi ladies! Im a SAHM to a 2.5 year old little boy and a 11 month old baby girl, Im doing this alone until April as my husband is deployed. But Im determined to lose this extra weight by the time he gets home! It's so hard to find time to work out, I need to start getting up before the kids do but my bed is so cozy! I am working on mixing things up between the C25K program (I just did week 2 day 3 today) and Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred, my first day was yesterday. My 2 year old is trying to give up naps, which sucks because they both were napping for 2 hours ever afternoon, it was a much needed break! Im 5'4ish 193lbs (today!), I started out at 198ish but at my heaviest was around 210-215. My overall goal is 135lbs or whatever feels comfortable to me when I get within my healthy range, my short term goal is 170 by April as thats what I was when I got married and I'd love to be back there when Hubby got home.
  • MMillo
    MMillo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too am a working mom with an active 3 year old. I fell off the my fitness pal wagon this fall and I am determined to get back on track. after reading what the rest of you have posted I dont feel so alone. I work five days a week in job that will take me away from my family on the weekends. although I work from home three days a week, i find i am occupied with other activiites, laundry, cooking etc. My husband is a big help, but he takes time for his workouts, but I dont get that.
    I meal plan to keep on track, stick to my grocery list and hope my eating habits are passed on to my son, but the time to work out is hard to do. So i use my Wii to dance with my little one and try to walk him to daycare or to the grocery store.
    I just dont have the motivation to get into the gym or put my Wii fit to use.

Kaylaf08, I wish you all the success in the world, and appreciate the sacrafice you and your husband are making for us!
  • kaylaf08
    Options
    I too am a working mom with an active 3 year old. I fell off the my fitness pal wagon this fall and I am determined to get back on track. after reading what the rest of you have posted I dont feel so alone. I work five days a week in job that will take me away from my family on the weekends. although I work from home three days a week, i find i am occupied with other activiites, laundry, cooking etc. My husband is a big help, but he takes time for his workouts, but I dont get that.
    I meal plan to keep on track, stick to my grocery list and hope my eating habits are passed on to my son, but the time to work out is hard to do. So i use my Wii to dance with my little one and try to walk him to daycare or to the grocery store.
    I just dont have the motivation to get into the gym or put my Wii fit to use.

Kaylaf08, I wish you all the success in the world, and appreciate the sacrafice you and your husband are making for us!

MMillo, thank you very much. I still dont know what to say to people when they thank us (Hubby either, he's been in 6 years). To us its just a job and puts food on the table and a roof over our head, except some times it takes him away. Its hard to think of it that way on the rough days but on most days its just a job, ya know. Anyways thank you very much. I wish you all the best in your journey as well. All of you.
  • nathaliasmommy
    nathaliasmommy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have one toddler, shes almost 2 and then a 10 yr old. I work full time have to travel to get to my job and be a single parent most of the time except for like 6 days of the month when the BF is home, he works construction so hes gone for 2 weeks at a time and comes home for 3 days. But same as everyone else i get up at 6am chekc emails etc, 630 get myself ready for work, wake kids at 7 feed them , make lunches get the little one dresses, leave the house at 745 drop both kids off at different daycares, then its like 810am, drive 20 minutes to work. Work all day and reverse the process. get home at 5ish cook supper tidy the house by then its 7ish, spend like 30 mins playing with the little one then its bath time and bed time at 8 for the little one.
    Then this is when i try to squeeze some sort of exercise in until 9pm. send the older one to bed, then i get myseld ready for bed, shower etc. then i watch tv til 1030-11 and go to bed.
    Im tired just reading that :)
  • Elizabeth_M
    Options
    Hi everyone. I seem to be in the same boat as you all too. I have a 1 yr old and a busy work life. I just started this week working out and so far its working. On Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays i get up at 5am and go work out. These days i go in the AM since my husband is starting school and works late these days. On Tuesdays and Thursdays i go about 6ish at night with my sister. On these days my husband makes his own dinners and feeds our little one. This is so far how i've been able to do it. Im not sure how far i will be able to continue since my husband has a short patience with our little one. I hope we can continue so we can all reach our goals.

Wow, awesome job - working out 5x a week!

I totally hear you with the hubs getting frustrated with the little one. Now that my youngest is a bit older (albeit still a Momma's boy) it's a little easier for him to have more patience, but at times I feel quite stressed because I wonder if I'm coming home to a house with crying kids and po'd dad....lol Mostly just worry about it, though.

:)
  • Elizabeth_M
    Options
    I have a daughter who will turn 2 next month, my challenge is to find time for me to work out. The other day i put in a Jillian Michaels DVD and she worked out with me, as cute as it was at times she was in the way. The other challange i face is making sure she eats healthy with us. She is at a stage where she is a picky eater and i need to bring more healthy food to our home.

Both my children are picky eaters, too...although they USED to eat EVERYTHING! Something about when they both turned 2 and developed an opinion....

My oldest doesn't eat ANY vegetables (and I LOVE them) and my youngest is headed in that route, too. I am going to try to do sneaky moves for meals - I will crack open my 'Sneaky Chef' cookbook again. BUt, the other day, I will admit and not ashamed to say it, I gave them a can of Scooby Doo pasta and put a whole jar of baby food (mixed veggies) in there. They ate it ALL and I am GLAD. lol

Good luck with your journey - keep at it - don't give up!
  • SaPrice7
    Options
    I have a 2, 4 and 6 year old. I work 5 days a week and with my two oldest being in school at two different schools across the county from each other I start by driving twenty minutes to my parents house where they take my girly the rest of the way to school. Then I drive my son to school and usually get to work by 9 am. I need to work 40 hours and unfortunately with the kids I don't usually make the hours. I find myself coming home after school doing any homework, laundry, dinner and family time. Then a lot of times I will go back into work to make up hours and not get home til 9 or 10. How do mom's find time for themselves without feeling guilty for taking the time away from their famly??? Any time left in our busy days I feel I should give to them and not me..
  • sagex2
    sagex2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to all comments. I have a daughter who will be 3 in May and a 15 month old son. I am a teacher with a 25 minute commute to work. I have to get up at 4:50 to work out. I am sooo tired all of the time and hungry. My son is still Breastfeeding a lot at night so I am waking 3 times at least to nurse. It helps to hear I am not the only one. I need to loose at least 60 pounds!! I am going to walk on the treadmill all next week in the mornings before work!!