Long slow distance run help

Options
mlb929
mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
So I am using the FIRST training method. That has my training at very specific times and distances. I'm struggling with my LSD run. I'm training at a 9:40 mpm half pace. Is was set by my last half time and confirmed its right based on my 5k a few weeks ago based on the proper table. My pace isn't the problem. The problem is me.

So last week I had the stomach flu that came and went. So for my 12 mile training run. I decided to skip worrying about the speed I did it and just did it at what felt right. I didn't look at my watch the entire time. And just went at a comfortable conversation pace I felt great when I got done and could have gone further. I looked at my watch when I got back. I had done it at 9:30. My fastest pace ever. Training was set at 10:10 long slow distance was the key run.

Today, I had an 8 mile run on my training plan. I was set to do it at 10 mpm. I got back hadn't pushed it. Worked a little on more attention to my stride length but when I looked at my watch. It was at 9:10.

I know these LSD runs are important for reasons other than speed. So what can I so to make sure they ally are long and slow. I am going to marathon train after my half in march and hoping to do it injury free. I know that long runs too fast can injure me.

Any suggestions or insight from more experienced runners would be great. I

Replies

• Helenelle
    Helenelle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Do you run with music? I cant as I run with my dog - but if you do try listening to slower music and perhaps your pace with tied in with the beat?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Yes and I've slowed it down a lot. I am hearing impaired so worry with it too loud I really would miss things around me as I don't wear my hearing aides. So I generally can't hear the music as Michel as I can sense the beat. I use pod runner app.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    My advice, just run. If your LSD pace ends up being faster than what it's suposed to be, so be it.
  • whoosh1
    whoosh1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My advice, just run. If your LSD pace ends up being faster than what it's suposed to be, so be it.

+1

If you start to feel burnt out during your other key workouts then maybe try to think about dropping your pace on the long runs. Maybe incorporate some walking breaks during the run? A lot of runners believe in doing 10 + 1s (10 minutes running, 1 minute walking) during their long runs. Or take a hillier route that will challenge the legs more and naturally drop your pace with the same effort level.

I did RLRF for my most recent marathon in October 2011 and I had trouble hitting the long run paces in the summer heat (slower, not faster - opposite problem!).
  • Jonathanfales
    Jonathanfales Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This falls in line with what most others have said but to expand a bit on the subject I would say the conversation pace rule of thumb should guide you. If you can carry on a conversation then you are fine if you cant then slow down or take quick walk break. If you can sing a song, pick up the pace!!