What is for dinner?

Options
I have chicken breasts (TY ZAYCON) I'm thinking of throwing them in the crockpot. Maybe some rice.... IDK.

Replies

• flyeagle
    Options
    Dinner: Lazy dinner tonight with a lazy desert. Shrimp Lo Mein with brocolli and chic peas. Ice cream for dessert.

Item (calories) approximate cost
    Fit and Active (Aldi's) Shrimp Lo Mein (200 calories per cup) 4.00
    Steamed Broccoli (60 calories per cup) 1.00
    Garbonzo Beans from a can (100 calories per 1/2 cup) 1.00
    Ice cream cones (for the kids) 1.00 for 3 cones and 1 1/2 cups of ice cream
    Ice cream sandwich (Aldi's Fit and Active) later in the evening for the momma (150 calories) 50 cents

The "skinny": 510 calories for supper and dessert and approximately 7.50 for a family of 5

Breakfast was 220 calories so I have 470 calories for snack and lunch. woo hoo! I love having a plan. Lunch 2 tuna salad sandwiches on oat bran bread with pickles (400 calories). Orange (90 calories) for an afternoon snack. I should end the day at 1220 calories so a tiny bit over my goal of 1200 but close enough.

I know this was a what's for dinner thread... I just got carried away lol.
  • AJones1021
    AJones1021 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give this a shot tonight. I saw it on an episode of Home Made Simple last week and it looked easy. I have some whole wheat rotini noodles I'm going touse.

http://www.homemadesimple.com/en-us/foodandrecipes/pages/chicken-veggie-bake.aspx
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    No clue yet! I decide like 20 mins before- bad habits! One of my new years resolutions, see how well it's going, ha ha!!!!!!
  • mom2jrn
    mom2jrn Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm making teriyaki chicken and rice with green beans.
  • McCoolMama
    McCoolMama Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Fridays are homemade pizza night with salad at our house. I make the dough with half WW flour & the kids don't notice a difference. On my pizza, I go easy on the cheese & add lots of veggies. Yum!!
  • Kooopons
    Options
    Fridays are homemade pizza night with salad at our house. I make the dough with half WW flour & the kids don't notice a difference. On my pizza, I go easy on the cheese & add lots of veggies. Yum!!

Mmmmmm, that sound yummy!! Can you share what recipe you use to make dough? Is it dummy proof?
  • McCoolMama
    Options

Mmmmmm, that sound yummy!! Can you share what recipe you use to make dough? Is it dummy proof?

Yep, totally dummy proof & it doesn't need rise time either :) I use my bread machine to mix & knead for me, or you can use a stand mixer or the best tools in your kitchen.. your hands ;)

Pizza Crust

1 Tbsp active dry yeast
    1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil or EVOO
    1.5 c white whole wheat flour
    1 c unbleached all purpose flour

Dissolve the yeast in the water. Add the rest of ingredients & mix.
    Dump onto a floured surface, knead into a smooth dough...5 min or so. (I skip this & let the bread machine do all the work)
    Roll out and press down onto a greased pizza pan (or baking sheet)
    Add toppings.
    Bake at 450 for 12-15 minutes until the crust is lightly browned & crispy.
  • cwiklamama
    Options
    I made chicken in tortillas. Nothing too creative, I suck at making yummy healthy food.

cooked chicken, frozen corn, black beans and a can of rotel with a bunch of taco seasoning. Whole wheat tortillas, a little cheese and roll it all up.

I had broccoli on the side while the rest of the family had Spanish rice.

I honestly have no idea how to calculate this all for calories so I really just guestimated. I am pretty lazy about adding recipes in the recipe builder so I just try to make it healthier with smaller portions and that helps.

I have to admit though now that the first couple days excitement it ending for me...those nearly free snickerdoodle cookies are desperately calling my name.
  • kimnmiah
    Options
    We had almost the exact same dinner here. Chicken, black beans, corn and rotel in the crock pot. No idea what to put for calories though. Thats the hard part about cooking homemade.
  • annadent79
    Options
    I admit I went to Mcdonalds with the LO.....I feel pretty guilty and YES I was thinking "oh my gosh I have to go back and log this stuff" Oh well it is done and surprisingly I am only over by 121 calories the lowest I have been in five days. I will not eat a cookie, I will not eat a cookie......
  • Kooopons
    Options
    I went to chick fil a- I was a little good. I ate a grilled chicken w/ only half the bun and I did have some waffle fries and only a few sips of milkshake. I haven't added it up yet but sure hope it's under 800 calories!!!!
  • myspiral
    myspiral Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I took a package of tofu shirataki (warning* if you haven't eaten this before you have to follow the direction or else it will smell like *kitten*. Also, start w/a half portion, some people have intestinal issue w/ the kind of fiber in these or something. I have no issues)
    and added peas and squash to it. Sprinkled sage and garlic and parm and I had a dinner-plate sized portion of "pasta" for 300 calories.
  • Kooopons
    Options
    Smells like *kitten*- oh LOL!!!! I can't wait to try it!! :noway:

I'm doing chili tonight! I pinned a pin for 10 recipes under 300 calories! This one looks good

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-chili-10000000682485/

Hmmm, links don't post- but you can copy of past into browser. Here is the recipe

Black bean chili

Ingredients
    1 onion (8 oz.), peeled and chopped $
    2 teaspoons pressed or minced garlic $
    2 teaspoons olive oil $
    3 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) black beans, rinsed and drained $
    1 can (14 1/2 oz.) crushed tomatoes $
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon canned chipotle chili purée (see below)
    1 tablespoon rice vinegar
    Salt $
    1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream $
    Tomato salsa (optional) $

Preparation

1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, cook onion and garlic in olive oil, stirring often, until onion is limp and starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
    2. Add beans, tomatoes and their juice, cumin, and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors, about 15 minutes.
    3. Stir in cilantro, chipotle purée, and rice vinegar. Add salt to taste. Spoon chili equally into four bowls and top each with 1 tablespoon sour cream and, if desired, with tomato salsa to taste.
    To make chipotle purée, whirl a 7-ounce can of chipotle chilies, including the adobo sauce, in a blender or food processor until smooth. Scrape into a plastic container and store airtight in the refrigerator up to 1 week or in the freezer for several months.
  • kimnmiah
    Options
    I have done great on my calories today and the family wants tacos so I'm gonna splurge. It will be lean meat, low fat cheese and sour cream. Going to make black beans and corn instead of rice like we would normally do.
  • luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    We had flank steak last night so I used the leftovers to make a salad with baby spinach, strawberries, the steak and Newman's Own Light Balsamic ving. with a side of pineapple. It's one of the kids' favorite meals.
  • McCoolMama
    Options
    We had teriyaki burgers, sweet potato fries & sautéed zucchini w/ onions. The fam had their burgers on buns & I had mine on romaine leaves. Totally satisfying & yummy and just around 400 calories for the whole meal.
  • McCoolMama
    Options
    We had teriyaki burgers, sweet potato fries & sautéed zucchini w/ onions. The fam had their burgers on buns & I had mine on romaine leaves. Totally satisfying & yummy and just around 400 calories for the whole meal.
  • BklynMamacita
    BklynMamacita Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    True those shirataki noodles do smell like that. LOL. If you rinse thoroughly and blot really dry, no problems. Hungry Girl has a lot of good recipes for them. She has her own Food Network show now. Have not seen it but still follow her blog.

Tonight I roasted a whole chicken. Had it with rice and broccoli. Lots of broccoli. I had a chicken thigh with skin removed. It was a good dinner. I need to plan out this week's meals in a bit.