Triathlons: An Overview

Options
A triathlon is a multi-sport event that consists of swimming, cycling and running (typically in this order).

There are a variety of distances typically offered in a triathlon event and they include (but are not limited to:

SPRINT: 750 m swim, 20 km bike, 5 km run
OLYMPIC (or Intermediate or Standard): 1.5 km swim, 40 km bikr, 10 km run
HALF IRONMAN ( or the Long Course): 1.9 km swim, 90 km bike, 21.1 km run
IRONMAN (or Ultra Distance): 3.8 km swim, 180 km bike, and a marathon: 42.2 km run

You might also be able to participate in relays, where you can do only one of the sports, or biathlons, where you bike and swim.

I am a fan of sprint distances, although I did not have much training time this year and did the relay, which was lots of fun!
My goal this year is to comeplete the sprint with no walking during the run (not that there is any shame in that)!

What distance are you thinking? Where are you from? What are your training strengths?

Replies

• brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Ours in Australia don't have the same names, but are similar in 'spread'. I'm planning on doing my first one some time early 2012 and it'll be along the same lines as a sprint. I need to look more into it, as we are so weather defendant here and I think the season is half over!!!!
  • Leesseebee
    Options
    Awesome!
    Sometimes (/here) they have indoor triathlons when the seasons turn freezing! I have never participated-this season because I am not in Montreal, but at one place, they have a resistance pool and then you spin and then run on a treadmill and you compete against your own time. I have also heard of people swimming in the pool and then hopping out onto a stationary bike and then a treadmill. They might exist where you are too!
  • anandaamrita
    anandaamrita Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think I'd aim at the Olympic one. A couple of years, I was doing the equivalent of the sprint I think (in the gym using the bike, treadmill and pool) - although I'm not sure that counts!
    How much does the training vary depending on the distance?
  • Leesseebee
    Options
    Hey!
    I am actually not sure how the training varies according to distance-I will try and find some good resources on that for you. It is awesome that you have been doing such great training! I find the challenge is the transition between the sports and combining them altogether. Typically, when training, I overtrain for individual sports and practice transitions. For example. I will do 25-30k bike and then run for 10 minutes and incrementally increase and see how it goes. I would imagine the training for more distance can be similar. In my mind there is a level of trial and error with training and typically people overtrain, but perhaps that is not the best advice!
    I will do a bit of research and get back to you. Until then, check out some triathlon magazines-especially at this time of year when people are making resolutions!
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I currently live in Chapel Hill NC. I plan to complete 3 sprint triathlons this upcoming year. I completed my first one last year...and I am addicted! I consider myself a novice in all 3 areas. I am continuing to focus on weight loss and building strength. My distances will improve as I loss weight and build muscle.

There is a website that outlines training program distances for sprint, olmypic and half iron man distances. It is free, and there is much valuable information on triathlons

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms.asp
  • Leesseebee
    Options
    Thanks! This is awesome!
    If you need swim training tips I can help-beyond that, my theory is train like hell!
    Good for you for your goals and acomplishments!
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This is awesome!
    If you need swim training tips I can help-beyond that, my theory is train like hell!
    Good for you for your goals and acomplishments!

So I do have a question about swimming. I swim in an indoor heated pool (82-84 degrees). It is cold out now (below freezing). There have been a few days when I have waited in the cold for a few minutes before they opened the gym. Only on those days, my body felt like lead in the pool as I worked out. I think it has to do with cold muscles. Any tips for combating this in the pool? I just found out my May sprint tri is in an outdoor pool with temps 73-79 degrees and no wet suits...(thank goodness it is only a 250y swim!).
  • Leesseebee
    Options
    Hmmm....I have a couple of disparate thoughts on this,which I will (I hope) pull together at the end!

My first is that my old swim coach told us never to judge a swimmer based on what his or her warmup looked like because it takes a while to warm up and for the body to start working properly. For me, it takes a while to wake up (I work out EARLY), but either way, it is pretty much the same principal.

Like any workout, a warmup is always always optimal to get yourself moving well and efficiently, but it is not always possible-specifically with races. Of course, it puts us at a disadvantage (but then again, it puts everyone at a disadvantage, so in terms of competition the playing field is about even), so you can stretch and at least wake up the muscles. I always jump and wiggle around in the water right before-take a few practice strokes-some even swim a few meters/yards (but I am not sure that is possible in a pool tri). I also wave my arms and move my legs and ankles around...stuff to bring heat in. It is always a good idea to stretch before a race anyway. The jumping also helps dissipate the nerves.

Another principal (and I am not being obnoxious here...not on purpose anyway) is mind over matter. I love triathlons, but aspects of them are just plain unpleasant. For example, to me, the transition between the bike and the run makes my legs feel like spaghetti-I have to literally say to myself "you are running now. you are running now. you can do it. you are running now" and I will my body to listen. It does not always work, but I still find it helpful-gives me back some control when I feel I have lost. I also visualize finishing and remind myself how amazing it will feel when I am done and how I am making a meaningful difference in my emotional and physical well being.

For swimming in the cold water, you can speak to your body-like "OK, this is cold and it sucks, but i am doing a triathlon and i need my legs, arms, whatever to move..." I find that I set a good rhythm for myself when I swim by repeating "pull, pull, pull" to take my mind off being uncomfy.

Finally, you WILL be nervous. Nerves will likely make you go faster!

This rambly response summarized:
    You might be slower than you'd like-it's normal and it's still amazing-whatever you do.
    Try for a bit of a stretch and warmup before you start
    Mind over matter
    Nerves=faster

Remember, just completing a triathlon is a remarkable accomplishment and do not be down on yourself if there are aspects you feel you could of done faster or better...you will have done wonderfully just by doing it and will learn along that way!

Hope this helps (I wish there was a magic answer, but alas...)
  • billydlyon
    Options
    Carolina girl- you can also take a 2 minute HOT shower before jumping in the pool on those cold mornings. It will help to warm you up and loosen your muscles AND STRETCH. hope it helps
  • Leesseebee
    Options
    Hey! I believe the hot shower will make the water seem sooooo much colder when you jump in!
  • whitsend5
    Options
    I'm signing up for swim lessons and a SheRox Sprint Triathlon on the same day!! I have never been a "lap" swimmer so need some help with breathing and technique. My race is in 22 weeks so I've started to work hard on my running and bicycling. Never dreamed a tri would be a possibility in my life but after losing 36 lbs this last year and finding a new lease on life as I find my health again, I'm excited for the challenge. Always up for swimming tips!
  • juls262
    juls262 Posts: 41
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm excited that I found this group. I did my first tri last summer (sprint distance) and I am absolutely hooked!! My ultimate goal is to compete in an Ironman... That is a loong way away, but it's definitely on my bucket list!

My goal this year is to complete in at least three triathlons. I'm shooting for all sprint distance, maybe try out Olympic towards the end of the season. I'm a terrible swimmer, okay cyclist, and I love running. So that's me!
  • ironholgs
    ironholgs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK and will be doing two Ironman races this year amongst other things.
    Keeps me out of trouble.

Never wanted to be a triathlete, only did a sprint as a bet with a work colleague and got hooked. Signed up to do my first Ironman withing 12 months.

I do all distances from sprint upwards.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    12 months to your first full Ironman?! Congrats! I am doing my third and fourth half in the Spring and a full in August!
  • ironholgs
    ironholgs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    cool good luck with the halfs ( love that distance ). Whcih Ironman are you doing then?
  • HGChao
    HGChao Posts: 23
    Options
    Doing my first real triathalon this September. I did an indoor one at the YMCA last April, but the outdoor one will be much more difficult for sure. This is a great site.....getting excited for the big event! Need support and motivation!