Roast Dinner

Options
boelyn
boelyn Posts: 90 Member
Hey Team UK

Any suggestions for a 'healthy' roast dinner....really don't want to miss out on Sunday

Bx

Replies

• yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Nut Roasts instead of meat
    Don't have gravey made of meat juices
    Boil your veg

-> Disclaimer, that's not how I role myself, I tried it once and it didn't quite live up to my expectations of a Roast which I consider a highly indulgent way to get your five a day whilst fulfilling your weekly quota of MEAT! But these are the ways you can cut back, or of course just make smaller portions which is the one I tend to opt for myself when I do have a 'lite' roast but in all honesty I tend to have 1 roast a month now and it's full fat
  • Prettypiglett
    Prettypiglett Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have steamed veg, not sure if it makes a difference, no roasties but mash without butter and cream but just mashed with water, gravy is just bisto and I make home made yorkshire puddings in silcone trays (without using cooking oil), small quantities of meat and lots of veg.

Hope it helps
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    We were having roasts most weeks at one point (but now don't have as much time).

Usually we just either pick a lean roast and have a small portion or make something like chicken legs (since there are only 2 of us)

We have loads of veg which we just cut up, then we melt a bit of 'I can't believe it's not butter light' in the microwave and mix it up with the veg in a big bowl then put on a tray to roast in the oven. I prefer it this way but you could also use spray oil. Usually we do for each person100g new potatoes, 1/2 parsnip, 1 carrot, 1 zucchini (courgette), 1 onion and sometimes some swede or butternut pumpkin (squash). Then we have some steamed brussel sprouts, some bisto gravy and a packaged yorkshire pudding (since they have way fewer cals than the homemade ones).

Hope that helps x
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Roast Chicken - have the breast meat, no skin.

Do your roasties in sunflower or olive-oil and sprinkle with some herbs (tarragon or rosemary are personal faves) and only have two smallish roasties.

lots of veg

gravy granules are lighter than gravy made from the roast's fatty juices.

I also love to have a yorkie pud, bread sauce and some redcurrant jelly with my roast chicken.
  • ZoeSmith321
    ZoeSmith321 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I just have what i'd usually have but a bit less portion-wise, I make sure every calorie on the plate is accounted for and recorded and do some extra exercise to compensate - I love my Sunday lunch far too much to compromise!
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options
    To be honest, I just have what i'd usually have but a bit less portion-wise, I make sure every calorie on the plate is accounted for and recorded and do some extra exercise to compensate - I love my Sunday lunch far too much to compromise!

I agree with this too. Sadly, the low cal version is how I have always had my roasts, can't stand the greasy versions my parents in law make - dietitian at stomach haha!
  • karenlesley47
    karenlesley47 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you cant live with roast potatoes do them using Fry Light Spray & I usually use the pre-cooked Yorkshire pudds find them easier to count calorie wise. Bisto Gravy granules are good to use as they are low in fat.
    As the other posts say have a larger portion of veg to fill you up.
    Good luck on your journey.
  • MrsOMG
    MrsOMG Posts: 84
    Options
    Sweet potato is delish and pretty good substitute, rather than oily roast normal spuds. Chop into discs and roast with spray of oil for 30 mins.
    OR for a tasty replacement for spuds and cheese sauce...
    Boil chunks of sweet potato, fry some red onion then wilt down some spinach, drain of boiled sweet potato then mix all in a roasting dish with red onion and sprinkle on some feta, then paprika and bake a little while. This is a really tasty great dish, and filling.

Serve with steamed veg - Savoy cabbage with garlic is tasty with a drizzle of light olive oil at end.

Or try chicken caserole? chick things skin off with garlic and leeks served with steamed veg.

Steaming veg and piling it up is the way to go, if you fill your place 3/4 with tasty veg dishes that are steamed of baked in minimum oil you're on to a winner and can have a cheeky something with it.

Best of luck! I love roasts, get experimenting!
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options

Boil chunks of sweet potato, fry some red onion then wilt down some spinach, drain of boiled sweet potato then mix all in a roasting dish with red onion and sprinkle on some feta, then paprika and bake a little while. This is a really tasty great dish, and filling.

That sounds fab! Love sweet potato :)
  • mos1971
    mos1971 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a roast chicken but done in the slow cooker, yes i pull a face at it too all you do is drop the whole chicken in with nothing else and leave for a few hours, it even browns i was shocked and its the best tasing chicken ive ever tasted i dont cook it any other way now and it leaves the cooker free to do the slimming world roast potatos which my wife does perfect. All you have to do is cut potato or sweet potato as normal, spray a tray with fry lite then spray the potatos then put in oven they are very nice
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    Sweet potato is the way to go!
    You can get a little jug for the meat juices that leaves the fat behind when you're making gravy.
    Jane
  • karenlesley47
    karenlesley47 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
  • springermad
    Options
    Don't have potatoe. I haven't eaten potatoe since August x
  • Potsandpansies
    Options
    Try Roast potatoes with 200 ml vegetable stock added to Raw potatoes in a roasting dish, brush tops of potatoes with small amount of olive oil and theN cook at 190 degrees for 50 mins! Brush tops with oil again and the roast for another 10 mins or so allowing all the stock to soak in and dry off. Very tasty! You can add a sliced clove of garlic too if you want.
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Roast chicken or turkey without the skin. Steamed veg and either new tatties or you can use fry light on roughed up par boiled then roasted tatties. I like sprinkling a little rosemary and thyme on top of the tatties while they're roasting to give them a bit more flavour. Then a little gravy using granules rather than the juices from the meat.

You can also buy things called butter buds which are little sachets of butter which you could sprinkle on new tatties etc http://bbuds.co.uk/Home.html I've not used them, but I know lots of people at Slimming World have and love them. It stops them using too much butter on their new/jacket tatties etc but gives a nice flavour apparently.
  • Anna_43
    Anna_43 Posts: 117
    Options
    Oh no.. I am NOT giving up on roast beef/potatoes/carrots/onions.. no way.. THAT is scary ;)
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options
    Oh no.. I am NOT giving up on roast beef/potatoes/carrots/onions.. no way.. THAT is scary ;)

Yucky, roast beef. Lamb all the way!! :P
  • Anna_43
    Anna_43 Posts: 117
    Options
    ermmm.. it is my son-in-law-to-be-perhaps that is cooking, I never say no to a free roast ;)
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm making a roast tomorrow - chicken, potatoes, veg, yorkshire pudding and loads of gravy - can't wait!
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options

This ^^

Keep your roasties for this meal as a treat and use butternut squash the rest of the week instead - it's versatile and makes GREAT soups too!