anyone trying to gain weight (muscle mass) while burning fat

I am trying to gain weight in a healthy manner and mostly in muscle mass. I wan't calculate my best macro nutrient ratios for doing this. Right now I am doing 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fats at a total of 2,750 calories daily which is 250 calories above my BMR. Anyone have any advice from experience and success?

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    You will likely lose weight if you're only eating 250 calories above your BMR. Remember, BMR is how many calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day or if you were in a coma.

To gain weight you need to eat more than your maintenance calories. To find an estimate of your maintenance go to My Home>>Goals. Look on the right hand side of the screen for "calories burned from normal daily activity" That number is based on your MFP inputs such as gender, weight, lifestyle setting (sedentary, light active, active..), etc.

To maximize muscle gain you need to follow a progressive HEAVY weight lifting regime.
  • Thanks friend. And you are right. I was mistaken when I said I was eating 250 above my BMR. 2500 is actually my maintenance calorie amount. As for my weight training regimen, heavy is exactly what I am doing. I just want to make sure I am eating enough and at the right amounts to keep up with my weight training.