anybody ski?

Options
jhmomofmany
jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
We were given two sets of cross country skis (used, but hey!) I've never done this before. Figured out right away that the boots were WAY too small for my feet, so I'm waiting on a pair I just won off ebay. In the meantime I've been trying to find info online. Found a couple of videos on youtube, but just wondered if anybody else here has taught themselves how to ski. I was on them for about 20 minutes and it was... awkward. Maybe just because the boots didn't fit? (They were 39 and I need 43!) I'm hoping it will be a good alternative to running in the winter. I have no interest whatever in downhill skiing. Too scary! LOL!

Anyway, just wondered if anybody has any tips or websites or info to share. Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I XC skied once. I tipped over and my friend left me for dead. I'll stick to my downhill skiing :p

GOOD luck!
  • jhmomofmany
    Options
    LOL thanks! I fell over once today and got STUCK! Why do they have to make the skis so freakin long but narrow!? :laugh:
  • skierxjes
    Options
    I agree hahaha It's a good workout.. if you can stay upright but damn, if you tip over... hahahaha
  • Dadof8
    Dadof8 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you can find a park or golf course around you that has “groomed” trails or at least ones that have been used by others first you will find it easier than breaking your own trails. There is not so much shifting of the snow under your skis which allows you to get used to the length and only have to deal with one or two issues at a time. My first time on them was a 3 day winter camping trip up near TC about 40 years ago.
  • jhmomofmany
    Options
    shouldn't be hard to find a groomed trail here- there are snowmobiles all over the place! Would it be safe to use the same trails? Some of those sled heads are going CRAZY fast. We also live close to the Porkies and I understand they have groomed trails there. Something to try when hubby and I can get away. If there happens to be anybody here in Ontonagon or surrounding counties who would meet us for a lesson... LMK! :smile:
  • skierxjes
    Options
    I wish I was still home! I totally would have rented some skis and came up for the day to ski with you!
  • momma2jillian07
    momma2jillian07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No cross country or downhill for me. This year I'm trying snowboarding!!!!
  • cafeldmann
    cafeldmann Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Groomed XC ski trails have narrow tracks the width of your skis, so it makes it a lot easier to keep the skis pointed in the right direction. I taught myself, but I haven't done it that much and I still find it pretty awkward (I miss the edges that I have on my downhill skis!). But it's fun when the conditions are good, and it's a good workout.