Weight gain after starting solids

Options
So, I was only 5 lbs from my pre-baby weight and we started introducing solids. Now that I'm not exclusively breastfeeding, I gained 8 lbs. UGH!! I guess I was still eating more calories and not burning as many when I was strictly breastfeeding. Anyone else have that same problem? I just joined and am starting to count calories and be better with the exercising. Any other ideas on how to lose the weight without reducing milk supply? I've also heard that you keep an extra 5-10lbs on while nursing... true?

Replies

• carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I think everyone's experience is slightly different - but you will likely find that if you keep track of your food and increase your activity, you should see some success. I started MFP just as my little guy was starting solids. I used the food diary to add some extra calories (300) to my diet, and found that I was able to lose 20lbs in a few months. I have now stopped breastfeeding (the little guy self-weaned...) and my weight loss has stalled...though the holidays and disruptions to my exercise routine / motivation are likely the larger culprits.

I hope you are able to find a balance that works for you!
  • Stroupester
    Stroupester Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try weighing after nursing. If your breasts are full, you'll weigh more than when they're emptied- and that's not an accurate measurement of your body weight. You may have to go through some trial and error to find the right caloried-to-breastfeeding match for you. Don't skimp on calories too much, it may negatively impact your supply- but do focus on high nutrition foods.
  • aleatha5
    aleatha5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I did, but then I found I started to lose it pretty easily after my fertility came back. For me, I really do squirrel away 10 pounds while breastfeeding.