Could you make it through Boot Camp right Now?

Options
I know that is a loaded question. I have thought about that question since starting this journey with you Marines. As of three months ago I could not have made it through the first week of Boot Camp. Since Re-Booting I have lost almost 30 lbs and anticipate doing so in my next weigh in on Tuesday. So my answer to the question now is certainly different then it would have been back in October. I have no doubt givin what I know about claiming the toughest title of all standard fighting warriors in the us military. I answer Yes granted I would not be at the front of every run right off the bat but I would not be last either. Of course I would be coming from a stance of wisdom of years past and a new dedication to health that YOU Marines have continued to remind me of. Thank you for your continued support and dedication to each other.

Simper Fi,
dcarreno

Also Welcome the newest Marine to Re-Boot derrickmcgill90

Replies

• d1469d
    d1469d Posts: 11
    Options
    They say once a Marine always a Marine. There is a lot of truth behind that statement. The motivation physically and mentally to lose the pounds is very tough. Besides boot camp I would say this is one of the toughest tasks I have taken on. Being a Marine and being athletic in my younger days I think is a great deal of help. The ups and downs an individual has to go through is almost mind blowing. I think being a Marine gives us an upper hand in this mess we have gotten ourselves into. I believe this is exactly what it is. A complete mess. All the **** we put ourselves to become a Marine physically and mentally, and I myself ,let myself go for way to long. It was time for me to get busy living or get busy die'n. I feel really good about a lot of things since I have started this journey. It's very refreshing to see other Marines on here changing there lives once again. You should be proud of yourself for sticking with it. I suppose if i was going to boot camp right now i would make it. I am very certain the drill instructors would make sure of that.
  • jimmynorton24
    Options
    absolutely :-)
  • dcarreno
    Options
    absolutely :-)
    nicely put!!
  • rukia30
    rukia30 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well..I would have to say no. I was in for 6 years and have been out since 2004. Since then I have gotten married, and had 3 kids. I did not stick with what I knew as a Marine and gained. I am currently doing the elliptical 4 days a week and burning 660 to 710 calories per workout. I am also watching what I'm eating. So far I have lost 10lbs. I can't wait to be able to run again. I'm so glad to have found this group of Marines.

Semper Fi!
  • jimmynorton24
    Options
    Well..I would have to say no. I was in for 6 years and have been out since 2004. Since then I have gotten married, and had 3 kids. I did not stick with what I knew as a Marine and gained. I am currently doing the elliptical 4 days a week and burning 660 to 710 calories per workout. I am also watching what I'm eating. So far I have lost 10lbs. I can't wait to be able to run again. I'm so glad to have found this group of Marines.

Semper Fi!
    awesome work to get back at it....i am sure in no time you will be running mile after mile!!!
  • rukia30
    Options

awesome work to get back at it....i am sure in no time you will be running mile after mile!!!

You are so correct! I'm just excited to finally be back on track! You never loose that can do attitude that you received from boot camp. I just remember the pride upon graduating, and nothing can take that away it just got lost in life!
  • dcarreno
    Options
    Welcome Rukia30 and JimmyNorton24 Feel free to look through the older posts and respond to them. We have a dedicated group of Marines here and have collectively lost many pounds And Rebooted our lives.
    Rukia30 you will Run again I am sure of it. Just remember your training. What I did was in my basement I hung some photos of my Marine Corps days, drill instructors and of course myself. This has been a great motivator to keep me pushing.
    You will be the Marine of your youth.
  • Leah_Nicole219
    Leah_Nicole219 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Semper Fi!

I have been out since 2004 and I have 3 kids too! :) And unfortunately I would also say no. I am 30 pounds heavier than I was in boot camp and I have already lost 28 pounds! But I am determined to get back into shape. Now I am embarrassed to say I was a Marine the way I am looking now, because I am totally undisciplined to let myself get to this weight and that is not what being a Marine is about.
  • rukia30
    Options

Semper Fi!

I have been out since 2004 and I have 3 kids too! :) And unfortunately I would also say no. I am 30 pounds heavier than I was in boot camp and I have already lost 28 pounds! But I am determined to get back into shape. Now I am embarrassed to say I was a Marine the way I am looking now, because I am totally undisciplined to let myself get to this weight and that is not what being a Marine is about.

So feeling the shame! Good to know someone else is with me there! Time to get it!
  • Leah_Nicole219
    Options
    We can do it!!! :)
  • jimmynorton24
    Options
    there is no question you 2 can not only achieve your goal but destroy them!!!
  • jimmynorton24
    Options
    Welcome Rukia30 and JimmyNorton24 Feel free to look through the older posts and respond to them. We have a dedicated group of Marines here and have collectively lost many pounds And Rebooted our lives.
    Rukia30 you will Run again I am sure of it. Just remember your training. What I did was in my basement I hung some photos of my Marine Corps days, drill instructors and of course myself. This has been a great motivator to keep me pushing.
    thank you for the invite.....semper fi!!!! lets make our goals and obstacles shake in fear of us!!!!!
  • rukia30
    Options

Thanks! I know I will! I just remember that this will happen no matter what! I owe this to myself. I will be posting my Marine Corps. boot camp picture shortly. I was at 135 and maintained that weight throughout my career. I'm just ready to command my life! Thank you all for the support the bond formed in the Marines, and really any branch is truly unbreakable!
  • rukia30
    Options
    absolutely! All of us can and will!
  • rukia30
    Options
    Okay I found my Marine Corps. picture!
  • Leah_Nicole219
    Options
    Love it! I'm not sure where mine is but i have some pictures from while I was in. I got in so much trouble the day of pictures (in boot camp) because my bunkie and I snuck some mascara and my DI could see it on me. She practically ripped out my eyelashes trying to get it off me! I hated that we could only wear lipstick.You need other makeup to balance out the bright lipstick, ya know? ;)
  • Leah_Nicole219
    Options

Thanks! I am ready to do this!!
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I am in much better shape and stronger than I was when I was in boot camp (last few months of 1990) and all 4 that i was in. What I have come to realize is that the big obstacle when you hit 40 is that recovery time is lengthened somewhat. I noticed this when I was doing some MMA training, the "kids" would show up the next week with no visible bruises and not sore, where I would still look like I got ran over by a out of control dragon wagon. Eventually broke a few toes on a guys head, made the mistake of letting the wife come back to the doc with me when he said i needed a more "age approiate sport", and then she laid down the law :( Had to retire the wraps in favor of some crossfit.

I am sure I could make it, but it all depends on if they would let me improvise, adapt and overcome, continuing the hump on a low crawl after my knees blew out lol.
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    oh yes, i definitely could. i weigh less now than i did going in (not by much, but hey...it's somethin!), and i'm in better shape. now would i actually WANT to? oh hell no. :drinker: :laugh:

by the way, sorry i haven't been active in the group since i joined...i just today figured out how to FIND the group again:blushing: