Adelaide residents - Mt Lofty?

Options
Kymmy81
Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
Hey fellow Adelaidians, I'm hoping to draw on some local knowledge - I've only lived here for 2 and a half years, so I'm still kind of finding my way around!

Who has done the Mt Lofty walk? Do you need to be a total athlete to do it? How long does it take? I would like to give it a go but I don't know how difficult it is and/or if I'd need to do some sort of training for it.

Would love to know of your experiences :smile:

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Sorry Kymmy, never done the Mt Lofty trail myself, but from what I have heard it takes about two hours at a slow/moderate pace. No need to be an athlete, just a half decent level of fitness and a bit of leg strength.
  • chatswithpets
    chatswithpets Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My physio said it's a good workout and you do feel it in the legs quite a bit. I don't know how long it takes, you might be able to check it online?

My physio is pretty fit...so I'm guessing it would be a bit of a challenge.
  • TheRisingOfMe
    Options
    Mt Lofty is beautiful. Waterfalls, rugged paths and sexy joggers. What more could you want?
    I actually attempted to walk up Mt Lofty a week ago. It's approx 7kms up and back. I managed to reach just past Chinamans Hut ruins, I was breathless, stitch in my side, gasping for water. It is surprisingly steep. It sort of starts steep at the bottom, levels out in the middle, then gets STEEP.

I saw heaps of people running up and down. We attempted to walk up, go to the cafe at Mt Lofty Summit and walk back down. Nope. Not that fit and not enough time. It was great and beautiful, but I am just not that fit. Each time I go there I will get a bit further and further and hopefully one day, jog up and down it like some of the people.
    It takes longer than you think, give yourself a few hours. It is challenging, but the good thing is, it's free and you can do it whenever.
    You don't need to be an athlete, just wear your gym stuff (I wore FREAKING JEANS!) >:(
    Take water with you and leave a towel in your car to sit on when you drive home.
  • tanyacc
    Options
    I did mount Lofty a few weeks ago. It took me just over 2 hours. It is very steep and hard, but the feeling when you get to the top is amazing! All the way up I wondered why are the people who are coming down smiling, theyre crazy! But as soon as I started going down I couldnt help smiling too, it was amazing! On the way down it took every effort not to run because of the decline. I went with a friend and we paced ourselves the whole way, taking 10 second stops every hundred metres or so, which really helped when we reached near the top. I also burned over 1200 calories for the walk, its totally worth it in my mind! Let us know if you decide to do it!
  • RAS10710
    RAS10710 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's such a great walk!!! I've only ever done it once. Hubby and I, along with two of our friends, decided pretty much on a whim one beautiful Sunday afternoon to give it a go. We made it all the way up and down. We took our time though and were messing around and taking photos and stuff like that. So much fun!!! And so pretty =D
  • Kymmy81
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies - I am definitely going to give it a go - just have to convince the SO to come with me!
  • halyjayde
    Options
    Hey!
    I've done Mt. Lofty several times, once it took my friends and i 5 hours to get to the top because we thought we could find a better path. yeah, it was ridiculous. But I love the hike everytime I do it. It's not too hard, challenging if you make it so, but rewarding no matter what. It gets really steep at some points, but you get some easy moments where you just cruise along too.

Hope you have fun!
  • kylalady
    kylalady Posts: 8
    Options
    Look up adelaide walking buddys on facebook, new group to help encourage everyone to do walks in different locations.

Like us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/AdelaideWalkingBuddys

Want a walking challenge?
    Well you have found the right flyer; go ahead and like us on Facebook!
    We are a fun, friendly & an Active walking group! We would like to encourage and motivate you to join us on our organized outings.
    And would like to WELCOME YOU!!
    We want to make a change in our lives and this group is here to support each other! This group is perfect for anyone of any age, any gender, any shape or form and any fitness level.
    Everyone is welcome. Please get onto Facebook and take a look for yourself.
    Then start meeting up for walks and make new friendships,
    While getting fit & having a laugh too.
  • kylalady
    kylalady Posts: 8
    Options
    Ive also done mt lofty twice so far, recently and would love anyone to join in, keep in touch via facebook page, ive also got a group on here, search up adelaide walking buddys on fitness pals. Doing Morialta falls 10km grand loop walk next weekend on sunday 25th march at 10am. all welcome to come along for a adventure and fitness challenge!
  • MyNewZen
    MyNewZen Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Kymmy,

Did you ever make it up there? Its a fantastic walk!
  • Kymmy81
    Options
    Kymmy,

Did you ever make it up there? Its a fantastic walk!

No, not yet - it is definitely still on the list of things to do! Might have to make it a bit of a priority before the colder weather settles in :)
  • nicoleh82
    nicoleh82 Posts: 52
    Options
    I went up on Saturday, beautiful afternoon. It takes me just under an hour to get up to the top and about half an hour down. The main thing to remember is that it is steep - my heart rate can get up to 180 bpm in some places, and that's walking. Most people use it as a 'challenge' and believe me it is but well worth doing.

Another place that's nice is Belair National Park. Loads of walking trails there of various lengths and intensities but I must say it is pretty poorly marked